The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TK AUDIO BC1 Stereo Buss compressor? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th October 2008
Lives for gear

TK AUDIO BC1 Stereo Buss compressor?

Any one own one of these? Mercenary currently is the only U.S dealer I am looking for something on the 2buss and dont have alot of cake so this is right up my alley? Anyone have any feedback on it?

As always fellow slutz thanks!
Old 19th October 2008
Lives for gear
there's a thread about it in the new product section.

It seems to get much love, and i want one too !!!
Old 19th October 2008
Lives for gear

I was just about to try to describe it but then I checked the Mercenary site and the description there is spot on, exactly what I would have written.

It´s smooth and transparent in a good way, giving size and density to a mix when set right.

It can take an astonishing amount of spanking before sounding choked (with the S/C HPF in).

If you´ve been looking at SSL and Smart, you will not be dissapointed with the BC1. And for a lot less $$. thumbsup

Oh, and it does wet/dry balancing too.
Old 19th October 2008
Its a fantastic compressor because it has an immensely smooth gain action, and you can do various tricks with it's wet/dry blend control. Overall, Its sounds awesome!

What kind of music are you working on? I would also ask about the rest of your gear selection; converters/summing?

Anyway, its really really smooth, [did I say smooth?] and that makes it unlike any SSL G type I've used. You can do a lot of gain action, with out the snap, crackle, crunch and grab. It also does not shrink the image and low end when compressing more than 4-8 DB. Its very flexible for various types of music. But it does not have an SSL character, its more like a hybrid of that layout with a "more polite" action of compression.

Hope this helps
Old 19th October 2008
Lives for gear

Yep, it doesn´t have the "grab" of the SSL if that´s what you´re looking for. My SSL/Smart reference is more in that it has a basic tonality (without compression) of "clean-ish but not boring" that is also the case with the SSL.

The compression, as stated, is way smoother.

Clean, smooth, versatile would be my summary.
Old 19th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Its a fantastic compressor because it has an immensely smooth gain action, and you can do various tricks with it's wet/dry blend control. Overall, Its sounds awesome!

What kind of music are you working on? I would also ask about the rest of your gear selection; converters/summing?
I currently use a 002 BLA signature modded as my interface. I have other gear including avalon 737's ADL 600, 2 distressors and several othe high end peices. I usually use waves LMB and L2 on the master fader. This would be my first experience with an actually 2 buss compressor in my studio.

Thanks,

I sent you an email in regards to this as well.

Sorry I workin on everythign from Hip Hop to Rock mainly alot of HIP HOP projects!
Old 21st October 2008
Lives for gear

wow I had never even heard of this thing. I want one...

Anyone wanna trade for a Rosetta 200....192k and everything!
Old 14th November 2008
Gear Head

I too am after a super smooth stereo buss compressor that can take a spank without flinching. I was considering the Roll Music Super Stereo - can anyone who has heard both give me an appraisal of the two?

For what it's worth I have never been a fan of the SSL or clones thereof. OK for dance music, but MUCH too harsh to my ears for nearly everything else...

Thanks Slutz
Old 14th November 2008
Mine shipped today and will be here next Tuesday!
Old 14th November 2008
Gear Nut

TK1 vs Obsidian

Roc,

Have you compared the TK1 vs. the Obsidian?

Thanks.
Old 14th November 2008
Yea, we're working on some audio/video examples for both comps,

They are very different.....

What do you want to know specifically? The Obsidian is more "iron" like, and certainly more "grabby" when digging in, but its not "bummy" sounding like the SSL really is. Its very full at more than 4 DB reduction.
Old 14th November 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

Anyway, its really really smooth, [did I say smooth?] and that makes it unlike any SSL G type I've used. You can do a lot of gain action, with out the snap, crackle, crunch and grab. It also does not shrink the image and low end when compressing more than 4-8 DB. Its very flexible for various types of music. But it does not have an SSL character, its more like a hybrid of that layout with a "more polite" action of compression.

Hope this helps
Interesting! how do you compare it against the Alan Smart C1??
Old 15th November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel View Post
Interesting! how do you compare it against the Alan Smart C1??
Well, its going to be hard to tell from my post what the difference would be, in your room with your equipment, but I would imagine you would feel as though the C1 has a faster transient response, and less density in the midrange when compared to the BC-1, and I think the C1/C2 is more mid forward, and thus it has more bite and snap. I always thought the C2 was preferable to the C1 becasue its more flexible, and honestly its a better compressor when compared [in application].The BC-1 is ALWAYS smooth, and very solid sounding, no matter the amount of gain reduction. It does not offer the SSL upper mid "forward-bite", and snapping action, which the smart compressors can achieve easily.
Old 15th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I always thought the C2 was preferable to the C1 becasue its more flexible, and honestly its a better compressor when compared [in application].The BC-1 is ALWAYS smooth, and very solid sounding, no matter the amount of gain reduction. It does not offer the SSL upper mid "forward-bite", and snapping action, which the smart compressors can achieve easily.
I always prefer the C1 to the C2 (as a buss comp), it just sounds like the real deal to me.
Any thoughts on the BC-1 as a drum buss compressor?
Old 15th November 2008
Gear Head

had my BC1 for a few days now and i´m impressed! Tried it on the drum buss and it did wonders. with the blend function you can easily do your parallel compression in a split second.
Old 18th December 2008
Lives for gear

Bump to see if there is more feedback. I am specifically interested in how many times guys would reach for this vs. a Rolls or C1.
Old 18th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
Bump to see if there is more feedback. I am specifically interested in how many times guys would reach for this vs. a Rolls or C1.
I'd say it depends on what the work your doing. I think the BC-1 is the smoothest out of all these options, though the 755 is one magical box, when you don't want to worry about the buss compressor, and you just want to make sure your program has the right amount of compression. The Gain Action of the BC-1 is much less apparent then the 755, or the C1. The C1 is snappier, and has more "crunch" to it. To my ear that thing is almost identical to the SSL, which could be a good thing, as its way less money than that overpriced G series box. The TK comp also has a wet/dry blend control right on the unit, so it puts some tricky routing challenges to bed if that's a goal you might have.
Old 19th December 2008
Lives for gear

Got it today! Yep, it is smooooth. Did I say smooth? :-)

I was at first trying to get it to do exteme comp effects, but it does not do that. This one is for the master buss afaik. A bit polite for aggressive drum bussing, but for a smooth drums bus with instant parallel compression, it might very well work. On the master bus it adds a "finished record" type of glue and smoooth compression with minimal artifacts. I shot it out against my usual 2 bus suspects (in the digital domain) and this one won for clarity and vibe. The top end remains clear even with massive amounts of GR and the lows never crap out. The blend knob makes sure you never destroy the dry signal inadvetedly. But - you will however not get the SSL signature snap/smack on a snare drum from this box.
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

good review on the BC! ^^^
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks! :-)

Happy new year!
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear
well, i got one today from the music store that was kind enough to let me try-before-buy it, and i must say that i am really impressed with it.
I have been using the waves ssl 2bus comp up till now, but this is a different thing although it kind of sounds the same. It sounds really clean and punchy, open and airy, and you can compress the mix bigtime without choking it. The parallell compression is a stroke of genius, can´t figure why noone(?) have done it before. It´s a keeper for me at this insanely low price-tag.

Claes
Old 30th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo View Post
compress the mix bigtime without choking it.
Yup! I cannot name one other comp at this price range that you can say the same thing about. Its really a winner in the gain reduction side of life. Your right about the blend control, as it opens up a whole new ball game for tonal shaping.
Old 31st January 2009
rjm
Gear Nut

How would you compare this to the Drawmer 1968 on the mix bus? I primarily record analog based electronic music, and though I finally decided on the 1968, the TK was my next choice.

Thanks,
rjm
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

Just poppin' in to say I'm still loving my BC1. In fact, for the gear I have, I'm actually glad I couldn't afford the API 2500, because I actually like the BC1 on the 2buss much more. Of course I would still love a 2500, but more for tracking, mastering and on a "rythem" buss when mixing.

I did want to say that I used the BC1 on OH when tracking drums last weekend and it was simply fantastic. My ears are telling me that this box definatly does something nice to the airy top end of things. I almost always use the Royer SF-12 here for OH duties, and while I LOVE LOVE LOVE that mic, I always want to boost some top end on the OH. However, not this time. I didn't even do much gain reduction, maybe 3-4db on big snare hits with the blend knob favoring the compressed signal. We've since overdubbed a few guitars, both clean picked stuff and distorted rythem, real violins, piano, vocals, harmonies, bgv's, etc., somewhat mixing as we go along and I still haven't added any top end to the OH.
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Addict

Deciding between this and the Roll 755. I think. Any other thoughts on this match up?
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Lird View Post
Deciding between this and the Roll 755. I think. Any other thoughts on this match up?
Yeah, me interested too!
Old 24th March 2009
Just an FYI, I'm selling one in the classifieds. Killer comp on 2-bus. I picked up an API 2500 and can only keep one...
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

Curious how these comps compare with the Portico 5043 on the mix buss? That's what I'm currently using for my acoustic/mellow mixes - would the TK be the same or a step up? Price wise, they are about the same.
Old 26th March 2009
I had a 5043 for a couple of years before the BC1 and I found the Portico to be a bit "soft" for 2-bus duties and collapsed the image a little. The BC1 is more open (perhaps because of the HPF), and I can hit it harder before hearing it do damage to the material.

YMMV.
Old 26th March 2009
Gear Addict

I've got my BC1 for about 3 weeks. Love it so far. Let me rave about it.

On the mix bus, it has a great "glue" effect without artifacts. It's a really euphonic unit, it makes things wider and deeper. The low end gets tighter and the highs are sparkling and tridimensional. Really.

Tracking vocals, you can leave them finished. I got 10dB of reduction without artifacts (4:1, low pass filter SC engaged, UltraFast attack, Auto release). I didn't compress further later on mixdown. The waveform for that track was really tight-looking. It sounded so.

I compared it side by side with the API 2500 before deciding to purchase this one. I preferred the BC1 for its easier operation, "set and forget" type of unit. The blend pot is nice, although I've been using it 100% wet all the time and love it that way. It has its own color, but it's more forgiving than the API, it won't change your material that much (the API is instantly heavy on the low-mids, just by passing anything thru it; loved it on bass guitar for that very same reason, I might get a 525 someday...).

For the price they are selling it, it's a no-brainer. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw its price rising considerably when people starts using it and raving about just like I'm doing now. Go get one before that happens!

Congratulations to the TK guy, his unit makes me really happy!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search