The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sink or swim in a tough industry
Old 18th March 2003
Here for the gear

Sink or swim in a tough industry

Hi, my name is Jeremy. I just moved to the bay area a few months ago. I'm just making use of every means possible to meet other people in the industry, and gain more experience. I'm a recent graduate of an audio engineering school, but I believe school can only teach you so much. The rest you have to learn out in the real world. So I am extending my helping hand. Anybody have any suggestions as to where to start in this business?
Old 18th March 2003
One with big hooves

In a nutshell, figure out what kind of music you want to work on and contact studios that record that type of music. Then get an internship at one of them.
Old 23rd March 2003
Gear Addict

hey folks, first post here, been waiting to find something to ask that hasn't been said already! What a resource you guys have made here!

Anyway, back on topic, I'm doing a Sound Engineering course over here in Melbourne at the moment, and will probably find myself in a situation similar to what Jeremy is in.
I'm here to ask if Sound Production/Engineering courses are seen in a positive light compared to other ways of getting into the industry, IE internships (which I'm guessing is pretty much what we call "work experience" over here), or are there avenues?
Old 23rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Existance,

You will probably call me in a few months looking for a jobyuktyy. If you want to come in on a session, thats cool. I get a lot come for a few sessions, but I am only doing a couple of week so they get bored and do live work.
You get what you put in out of them, as you will read everywhere there are many ways of doing things.
I do not know if they will get you a job, Where are you going?
Old 23rd March 2003
Gear Addict

Heh, a couple of months??? Check your email :D

I'm doing the Sound Production course at RMIT, totally loving it, as I've been doing this sort of stuff for years back in "the country" [pauses to chew on hay for a little....].
But seriously, moving down here was the best move I ever made.
Hope to be in touch.
Old 23rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Cool, sent you a mail, come down and look around... It does not worry me, give me someone to talk to during tracking...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear