The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Guitar Amp Plugins
Old 17th October 2008
Deleted User
Guitar Amp Plugins

Im looking for a guitar amp plug here. What are you thoughts on whats out there?
What do you like and why? Im needing something that can go from 70's fender funkiness to James Lugo crunchy stuff. It HAS TO cover the whole base if you will.

I know of Line 6 POD Farm Platinum and Amplitude. Im using Cubase 4.5.2 and Protools LE 7.4.2 here. Preferably it will work in BOTH apps.

thanks guys
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

GTR 3 by waves is my favorite that ive used but I think getting a POD of any sort is definitely the best way to go.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

gearbox is pretty solid.
Old 17th October 2008
Here for the gear

Hi!

I would suggest to go for something freeware at the moment, like FreeAmp2, really versatile, Voxengo Boogex (don't remember if it's cabinet only) or the Guitar Suite by Simulanalog - this last one is great about sound quality! You could get a better idea of what you could get from software amp simulators.

About commercial products I always preferred iZotope Trash over GR3, Amplitube, etc..

Personally I went for Sansamp PSA (hardware) + Guitar Suite cabinet simulation and found the sound I like!
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Native Instruments Guitar Rig!!!
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Addict

Amplitube 2

Michael
Old 17th October 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Peavey Revalver. Nuff said.
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Nut

I`ve tried almost every guitar program out there, and in my opinion GTR 3 by waves sounds the best. But it`s kind of subjective so you may want to try some out yourself.

The thing I dig about the GTR 3 is that is does not have the high freq "sharpness" that most guitar programs have. I has a sweeter top and lives in the area you want your guitar to live in.
(not above 8k)
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear
definitely try them all out. It depends on the guitar you are using too, and the DI. those are both very important. I use a G&L ASAT into a chandler germanium into apogee mini me into Metal amp Room most of the time. And it sounds pretty damn awesome. I haven't used Revalver to much but it seems to be very nice too. I don't use amplitube 2 very often because 90% of the presets suck and I don't find it as believable. I hear that if you run it through an amp modeler it can sound very nice. I also hate the interface for it. metal amp room is super easy to use and I like that for when Im trying to get creative.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

I lurrrve the Studio Devil ampsim to death for clean/slightly dirty sounds Follow that with a Cabinet simulator called "our cabinet simulator" by Aradaz. Sometimes you need to off the power amp section of the Studio Devil to sound nice in this combination.

One thing about all ampsims I've tried is watch the level you input into the plugin. It only starts to sound nice when you hit the input within a certain range, normally hot enough but not too hot if you want a bit of clean. The DI you use must have balls of course heh Meaning bypassing any plugin the DI sound must already be plenty full and clear in the high frequency.

Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

I liked Revalver II, but i just tried the demo
You can get good results with an anlog guitar preamp like ADA MP-1 and the Revalver power amp + impulse response cabinet imao
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear
Vintage Amp Room . Not even close for me.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Revalver III.
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Maniac

For software, Revalver. It gets the feel of a tube amp, not just the sound.

A used Morley JD10 is even better, but not as flexible. It's all-analog and does pretty stunning miked amp simulation (especially for the moderate-gain stuff that software sims suck at so much), but like real amp, it has its own distinctive voice.

If you're doing amp sims and really want top sound quality, consider re-amping the guitars later. Record direct through the sim, and then pay for time to re-amp at a well-equipped studio with nice amps that you can crank up. Best of both worlds - the luxury of time at home to get great performances, and it makes the tones of a great studio much more affordable if you're just working on TONES rather than trying to nail great performances for your money.
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Line 6 are about to release all their pod sims as a native plugin supporting all major formats. hold out a bit and check it out i reckon
Old 17th October 2008
Deleted User
THANKS
Old 18th October 2008
Gear Addict

Gearbox!
Old 18th October 2008
Gear Nut

Sim amps are like normal amps: they react with your guitar, your style of playing and while usable, they don't excell at all style of music.

You need to try demos of some of them before finding the one that give you youre desired result.

I personnaly have a nice relation with the JCM800 simulation of the Amplitube2 for dirty yet defined guitar sounds. Easier than micking a full blown tube amp in my appartement, and the trade in sound quality is acceptable for me.
Old 18th October 2008
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Peavey Revalver. Nuff said.

Constant crashes in Cubase here with the demo. Sounds pretty cool though.
Probably Cubase fault. It will hose up when changing presets

An EXCEPTION OCCURRED IN THE MODULE CORE GRAPHICS.
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear
You're going to think I'm joking, but check out the Amp Sim in Cubase. I SWEAR it's better than most of the other stuff out there. Revalver III is definitely nice - I also own Amplitube 2 and I hope they update it soon - but I keep coming back to the Cubase Amp Sim. The Marshall stuff sounds great.
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

This thing is damn good! Much better than anything I've tried. Coming soon. Hopefully they will have a demo up in the near future.

Overloud Products - PROFESSIONAL AUDIO TOOLS
Old 18th October 2008
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
You're going to think I'm joking, but check out the Amp Sim in Cubase. I SWEAR it's better than most of the other stuff out there. Revalver III is definitely nice - I also own Amplitube 2 and I hope they update it soon - but I keep coming back to the Cubase Amp Sim. The Marshall stuff sounds great.

I'll check it out. Wish I could get REVALVERIII to work without Cubase crashing.

I like the sound of it BTW.
Old 18th October 2008
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
This thing is damn good! Much better than anything I've tried. Coming soon. Hopefully they will have a demo up in the near future.

Overloud Products - PROFESSIONAL AUDIO TOOLS

Cool
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

studio devil thru amplitube 2 for me.
Old 18th October 2008
Sky
Lives for gear

NI GR3 running in Receptor. Good sounding, low latency and stable running outside the DAW.

Sky
Old 18th October 2008
Deleted User
Whats the diff between Line6's Gearbox and the POD Farm coming out? Im confused slightly
Old 18th October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Whats the diff between Line6's Gearbox and the POD Farm coming out? Im confused slightly
the difference is: more money for Line 6

its simply got a fancier interface and two or three slightly improved pre/post placing options.

Line 6 knows how to make money out of their old ****.

still, their old **** sounds better than the other Guitar softs.
(GR 3 got some good hi gain sounds)

unfortunately all these sims sound ridiculous in hi gain settings which makes me happy to mic real amps a lot again!

but if you wanna spend a bit more bucks you should go for the best solution out there right now: AMP FX Ultra (by G66)

its a hardware at about 2000 bucks but is "plug-inable" and has by far the best amp and effects sims I've heard so far.
Old 18th October 2008
Deleted User
NEON, thanks

Amplitude 2 and NI guitar rig 3 dont sound bad

Waves GTR3 sounds REAL good
Old 21st October 2008
Deleted User
Ive been checking out the demos here.

Update; I have a Line 6 POD XT Pro here to use.

Which of those apps do you feel would compliment the POD and why?

I liked the WAVES GTR, Amplitude and the Native Instruments Guitar Rig

Peaveys Revalver didnt do much for me
Old 21st October 2008
Lives for gear

I can never get a good guitar sound with amplitube, guitar rig, sans-amp or waves gtr3. Or on an hd rig amp farm. I've heard digi's eleven is good. The only guitar plugin that I think sounds good is chrometone by mcdsp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search