The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who Makes The Best LA2A Style Compressor Today? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 8th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've built LA2A clones for myself and several customers.
I build them point to point, direct from the 1968 schematic, using Sowter iron.
I prefer using orange drop film caps in place of the ceramic caps that are in the audio path. Sounds smoother to me. I also prefer metal film resistors in them. Maybe it's my imagination, but it just sounds cleaner.

Although, whether you like the vintage LA2A's or many of the newer LA2A-inspired comps out there, I have to say it's a classic design that will find a place in every studio. I've never heard 20dB of gain reduction sound sooo good!
Old 8th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
I was really surprised by how great the pbc-6a is for tracking vocals and bass - for the money it is insane
word!
Old 8th November 2009
Lives for gear

howza bouts the GROOVE TUBES GLORY COMP??????

i know it ain't no LA2A, but it has 8 tubes inside with zero ic's,

now that's a true beast of a design eh?
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

The ADL1500 is nice and flat stock. I like the way it compresses naturally. The ADL1000 does not perform the same as the ADL1500 even though its supposed to IMO. I have measured this time and again. The 1000 typically rolls off bass under compression (compression Freq. Resp. is not linear). The problem can be easily corrected if you get one of those so that is something to keep in mind if you are looking for a deal and you get a 1000 at a good price.

I also have an ELop. For lite compression settings its fine. On heavy compression I hear it pumping the level. Its a great tool but I like the release curve of La-2a style compressors such as the ADL better for vocals.

The ELop is very good at not coloring the sound and it has a bass ignore switch (200 hz) if you want bass to have less effect on the amount of compression. That can be very handy to have. I don't think anything else in my inventory that will do exactly that.

I also have a UA LA-610. I am IN LOVE with this box. Its an up-to-date La-2a and a UA 610 mic-pre together in one box. I'll never part with it. You can use the front end or the back end separately if you want to just re-process a track with it or use it as a mic pre. Takes very low impedance mics too (adjustable).
Old 10th November 2009
D K
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
word!

Most definitely - word!!!!
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/G View Post
Pan, here it is. Keyclub Recording Company
Now that's my kind of studio
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search