The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Panning scheme for acoustic songs
Old 15th October 2008
Panning scheme for acoustic songs

Hi.

Im soon going to record an all-acoustic album. It will be classical guitar + vocals and maybe acoustic bass.

I was wondering if anyone here has done something similar and could advice on how to pan the instruments.
The guitars will be one rythm guitar and one solo.

I suppose one way to do it is to have the rythm guitar panned left+right and have the solo and vocals in the middle. I would have to "cheat" to get two rythm guitars though because its all fingerpicking. Im not sure I want to do that though.

So are there any alternatives to this that you have tried with good success?
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

It's all in the mic'ing.

I'm mixing an acoustic album right now. I recorded the rhythm acoustic gtr with 3 mics. It's panned left & right for that epic stereo sound. Solo gtr is close mic'd in the center. Stand up Bass is mic'd and amped. In the mix I'm blending the bass amp in just a touch for some low end & "growl".
We have a decent sounding room so we put up room mics for the vocals & gtr tracks. The room mic on the bkg vocals really makes them sit in the mix nicely. I'm taking the 3 bkg vocal tracks & bussing them together with the room mics thru a stereo compressor. Sounds Great!thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search