The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
svetlana-tubes.com - USA and CANADA not allowed, rest of the world okay...?
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

svetlana-tubes.com - USA and CANADA not allowed, rest of the world okay...?

Lives for gear

You can get Svetlana tubes from New Sensor in New York. I've bought dozens for my guitar amp and like them. Svetlana tubes in my amp lasted longer than Sovtek.

It's easy to get a wholesale account at New Sensor and from there just go mad stocking up on different brands and see which one you like best.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

As far as modern tubes go, they are on the "better" side. The high end can sound brilliant in some apps, harsh in others.
Old 15th October 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfraser View Post
I've never seen this on a website before... what is it all about? is it a boycott or what?

Svetlana Tubes - Russian Vacuum Tubes made by Svetlana in St. Petesburg

anyways, kind of besides the point I wanted to talk about, has anyone tried these tubes? are they good?
It's probably due to a distribution agreement. It's in general considered a bad idea in business to boycott your customers. Aside from the warning, I believe this site has gone almost unchanged for a couple of years.

Svetlana is one of the major manufacturers out there today. There was some kind of dispute/deal about the brand a few years ago, and also a temporary halt in production, or at least distribution to the US. Now you'll see tubes from the St Petersburg plant rebranded as GT, EH, and others, as well as sold under their own name. My understanding is that the Svetlana name also used to be used for tubes made in other plants, but is now exclusive to the one. I could be mistaken, though, because following those Russian brands and factories is a real soap opera.
Old 15th October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
It's probably due to a distribution agreement. It's in general considered a bad idea in business to boycott your customers. Aside from the warning, I believe this site has gone almost unchanged for a couple of years.
Wow. I just visited there. Harsh. I don't believe they want my business. Oh well.

Or maybe it's just ignorance about how to set up a good business Web site and/or some kind of cultural mismatch. I've run into that sort of thing with Russians before. If it's due to a distro arrangement, they should have something that says, "USA and Canada customers, please visit our North American distributor..." and a link. Someone needs to clue them in.
Old 15th October 2008
Gear Maniac

If you dig into the website a little you'll find that it was basically a legal problem related to the sale of the US/Canada distribution company. This has to be the dumbest way to deal with this kind of issue that I've ever seen. I suppose it could be a language barrier problem and if so English speaking person should alert them to how this comes across.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear
What happened was that a couple years ago a shady distributor secured the rights to the name for himself in US and Canada. When there was a falling out with the distributor, they were forced to use a different name. They go by "Winged C" now. The Svetlana line is made by someone else for the distributor who previously secured the rights to the name for US and Canada. If you want the great sounding original Svetlana line of tubes, you need to buy the "Winged C" tubes. Available from Antique Electronic Supply and probably other sellers as well. Their power tubes are the best.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search