The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ensemble Preamps Don't Null...
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Ensemble Preamps Don't Null...

I did a test where I played a mono sound file out of output 7-8, ran a TS cable from output 8's jack into the Hi-Z input of channels 1-4 and recorded them each to their own track, then I solo'd two at a time with one having a phase-insert enabled gain plug and recorded their numbers.

Of course, all of the channels were set to line input +4, but I don't get nulling.
here are the results:
Soloed input + Soloed input (phase inverted)
1/1 = null
1/2 = -50
1/3 = -39
1/4 = -39

2/1 = -50
2/2 = null
2/3 = -42
2/4 = -42

3/1 = -39
3/2 = -42
3/3 = null
3/4 = -75

4/1 = -39
4/2 = -42
4/3 = -75
4/4 = zero

So, Broken down, the last two channels null with eachother better than the first two. 3/4 will get down to -75 in volume, but 1/2 will only go down to -50, then it gets generally worse from there when cross comparing them to eachother.

Is this normal to have 4 channels that have varying degrees of nullification when compared to eachother?
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Have you checked the wave forms to see if the peaks are the exact same level on each channel? I am not all that familiar with the unit, but does it have the soft limit function activated on some channels but not others, or dithering on the output of some channels but not others?
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

You did a round trip conversion on a firewire interface. Have you not thought about the latency involved in doing that? Two tracks that should be identical or even 95% identical (two conversions doesn't exactly retain the source to begin with) will not null as well if they are not lined up in the time domain.

By the way "Hi-Z" would mean the instrument inputs. I hope you did not make this test while using the instrument inputs of the Ensemble.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Have you checked the wave forms to see if the peaks are the exact same level on each channel? I am not all that familiar with the unit, but does it have the soft limit function activated on some channels but not others, or dithering on the output of some channels but not others?
Hey, I checked and made sure that the softlimit was not activated on any of the channels, they were all at the same gain, the same settings, with the same everything, and no dither.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
You did a round trip conversion on a firewire interface. Have you not thought about the latency involved in doing that? Two tracks that should be identical or even 95% identical (two conversions doesn't exactly retain the source to begin with) will not null as well if they are not lined up in the time domain.

By the way "Hi-Z" would mean the instrument inputs. I hope you did not make this test while using the instrument inputs of the Ensemble.
Yes, I knew there would be latency involved, but that shouldnt be an issue because I am comparing 4 recorded tracks under the same conditions, so I had an original sent to 4 channels and recorded 4 times, then I compared those 4 to each other, so the latency inherited by the copies should be equal across the board, no?

Also- yes I recorded them into the instrument level Hi-Z inputs, it was the quickes and easiest way to do it, what is the problem with this? (this is purely for testing purpose)
Old 15th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Did you try adjusting the gain on one of the tracks you were nulling? Very small adjustments can make a big difference in how well they null; even .1dB differences are very noticeable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search