The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sinead O'Connor 'Nothing Compares 2 U' Vocals
Old 15th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Sinead O'Connor 'Nothing Compares 2 U' Vocals

I'm mesmerised by her vocals each time i listen to this great song. I know that they are doubled, and she appears to belt certain lines with one of the vocals, and doubles it up with a softer vocal..... and I know it is her voice that makes such a beautiful original haunting sound. However, I've been working with a female vocalist with an amazing voice, and have tried somewhat to get a similar effect and struggled. Does anybody have any ideas, or knowledge on what vocal techniques and treatment is required during tracking and mixing to achieve this. I know that with certain vocalists double tracked vocals may or may not work (phasing, instead of thicker sounding), however any suggestions may help in the future with a suitable singer. Thanks in advance.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

tell her to work out her pipes (not singing) , kinda like stretching.

might find some interesting parts in the pipes that she didn't have .

getting the mouth, lips to relax so it doesn't sound fake
Old 15th October 2008
Gear Maniac

any suggestions about treatment whilst mixing down
Old 15th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
I'm mesmerised by her vocals each time i listen to this great song...

...I know it is her voice that makes such a beautiful original haunting sound....
Allegedly she was going through a bad break up (with a recording engineer no less...) and also suffered a miscarriage around that time - so if you are looking for attitude clues... perhaps you need look no further..(however see the link below also) That was certainly the gossip in London at the time. I worked at Aosis studios in Camden, London, UK around the time she was working there recording that album. (but our paths never crossed)

First time I saw the video for that song I was taking a break from a session and immediately said - "that will be a number one hit!" The studio staff corrected me and said - "you idiot! It IS number one!" (Hey! I was busy on sessions at the time! heh )

The tears she produces in the video make for an iconic pop moment IMHO.

More on that here Nothing Compares 2 U - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v56TYgG8Mzw

seems real ,
doesn't seem like you would need to do much
set amps / fader at unity bless with a little verb
she has good mic skills
you can tell she has practiced with in-ear and mic
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

I mixed live sound for her on a solo gig.
1 Meyer UPM wedge and an SM87.
She's the real deal. Sounded just like the record
Old 15th October 2008
And such a cutie back in the day. I've always had a thing for women with that hair style. Not that long hair isn't nice also. Anyway, that's a favorite of mine also, and I play pretty often in my listening sessions.
Old 15th October 2008
Gear Addict

So I guess Demi Moore in "G.I Jane" is high on your list,huh?

morten
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Vox

From a whisper voice to the "Full Voice" in 5-7 syllables working her way thru that range in the first phrase of her song. Does your vocalist understand that? Showing real emotion, articulation, annunciating, all the while having proper breath support.

True art captures your spirit and effects your soulstike... doesnt happen often!
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Mix magazine featured this song recently in the section that has a few pages on the recording of the tune. She doubled the vocal, I think one pass each. They go over the mics and whatnot, reverb too I think.

Search it out.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Allegedly she was going through a bad break up (with a recording engineer no less...) and also suffered a miscarriage around that time - so if you are looking for attitude clues... perhaps you need look no further..(however see the link below also) That was certainly the gossip in London at the time. I worked at Aosis studios in Camden, London, UK around the time she was working there recording that album. (but our paths never crossed)

First time I saw the video for that song I was taking a break from a session and immediately said - "that will be a number one hit!" The studio staff corrected me and said - "you idiot! It IS number one!" (Hey! I was busy on sessions at the time! heh )

The tears she produces in the video make for an iconic pop moment IMHO.

More on that here Nothing Compares 2 U - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I always wondered if this could have been the inspiration to that video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZSAkCdLzkg

And for another good tear moment, check the last 5 seconds of this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLq7Aqd_H7g
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

For people too lazy to check (I usually am) they say the mic used on her vox is a 414B-ULS and a PCM70 custom setting for reverb.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

I first heard her on a soundtrack (Captive) that The Edge (U2) had done. The song was called "Heroine", and was a very cool song.
Old 15th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
So I guess Demi Moore in "G.I Jane" is high on your list,huh?

morten
Dunno, I never saw that. I was thinking more the artistic waif or supermodel type, not the butch thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search