The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
di/pre for wurlitzer for live shows?
Old 14th October 2008
Here for the gear

di/pre for wurlitzer for live shows?

Hi all, this is my first post. I need to get a di or di/pre for my wurlitzer rig for live settings. right now the chain is: chopped wurlitzer 207 --> fostex 3180 spring reverb unit --> jbl eon 15 G2. I think I would want to put the di/pre after the wurli? here is what i came up with after some pretty extensive internet searching here.

1. summit audio td-100
2. countryman type 85
3. radial JDI
4. radial J48

The fundamental questions are: do i just need a good di box? should it be passive or active? should i go for di/pre combo's like the summit (and others in the $500 range)?

Another option was using an old silverface fender bassman head that our bass player doesn't need and putting a good di somewhere in the chain.

Thanks for any and all help! I've enjoyed reading the forums around here these past couple days as well. - Alex
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

I use an adesigns reddi on my wurli, and love it.
Old 14th October 2008
Here for the gear

reddi

I've looked at the reddi as well and have seen some pretty happy reviews with it. just don't know about the $700+ price tag when one of the models listed above is considerably less and might be just as good for what i need...
Old 14th October 2008
is the reverb part of your FOH sound or just for the wedge on stage?
Old 14th October 2008
Here for the gear

yeah, the reverb is part of the FOH sound. i usually run an XLR out of the JBL eon and into the board.
Old 14th October 2008
so buy a radial DI(passive approx. 100 US$) if no REDDI
wurli-->reverb-->DI Input
DI output to board (XLR)
DI Thru to JBL EON
hope that helps.
Old 15th October 2008
Gear Addict

Speakeasy Vintage Music makes preamp boxes specifically for Rhodes (specifically the stage pianos without integrated amps), so you might ask around to see how they work on Wurlitzers. I imagine it's probably a flexible remedy...

Might be worth checking out, seeing how it's a preamp designed specifically for electric pianos.

Speakeasyvintagemusic.com
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear
I use the Brick on mine, although that might be overkill in a live setting.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

The REDDI is the bomb for this sort of thing, but maybe overkill for playing clubs. The Radial stuff is great and affordable. The JDI is great, but I might think about going passive so you do not need to worry about the FOH guy getting you phantom power.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search