The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the most common mixdown media?
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

What's the most common mixdown media?

I've been mixing down straight to CD via Tascam unit, and I'm pretty sure it sounds better than rendering ITB.

What do you guys mix down to these days if you're not rendering/bouncing to a file?

CD? DAT?

MiniDisc? Kidding.
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Stereo Track in PT, or 1/4" tape... or both.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
Stereo Track in PT, or 1/4" tape... or both.
Yeah I usually bounce to a file myself but I'm actually thinking about getting an external CD burner.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Sorry, one more bump and I'm out. (sounds like something from the 70s)

Anyone still mixing to DAT?
Old 15th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zick View Post
I've been mixing down straight to CD via Tascam unit, and I'm pretty sure it sounds better than rendering ITB.

What do you guys mix down to these days if you're not rendering/bouncing to a file?

CD? DAT?

MiniDisc? Kidding.
For some time after I put together my first 8 channel DAW in '97, I mixed to DAT. It worked well because I was pushing my original computer (a Pentium '1' 133 mHz) to the max, usually with 10-16 tracks of audio on the computer, mixing out in submixes (stems if you will), using my 4 multi-FX boxes and folding in the live output from my 5 MIDI modules. After a while I started just mixing in on two new tracks -- as long as I had the CPU horsepower. I'd then export those and bring them into Sound Forge for poor man's 'mastering.'

Now, using all soft-synths and plug fx (except for the noble old Dual Levelar often in my input chain) I mix ITB and simply export to the desired format.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Straight to 96kbps mp3 for myspace!!
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Id say rendering ITB would be most common as well as 1/4inch, maybe a DAT as well for safety.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Analog > Hedd 192 or AD > AES to Tascam DVRA1000. This way I can print my final mix to whatever I want 16/44.1, 24/96 or higher rather than bouncing back to a couple of open tracks in the session and being stuck with the initial sample rate and bit depth.
Old 15th October 2008
Gear Maniac

mostly ITB, but I do a bunch of commercials each week where I "dump" straight outta PT onto tape to be taken to the tv networks. It's basically like mixing down to DAT.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search