The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How-To: Step-by-Step "Reverse-DI" Reamping Method? Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

How-To: Step-by-Step "Reverse-DI" Reamping Method?

Hello,
I know there are a lot of threads about Reamping, and it is often mentioned that you can use a DI in reverse to get basically the same effect. Regardless, some of us have a Passive DI and don't have a reamping box, so if someone could please explain, the step by step (starting from the DAW mixer and ending at the input of the Amplifier) process of using a DI in reverse, I think it would be a great contribution.

1. How do you get the original, dry, DI'd guitar signal OUT of the computer? Do you send it out in stereo, mono? Balanced or unbalanced cabling?

2. Which side of the DI do you go into (See Input and Output Panel Pictures below)? Do you need to use any of the pad buttons or gnd-lift switches?

3. Which side of the DI do you come out of?

I think the most popular DI for this is the JDI, so let's reference these images of the JDI for explanation.

Radial JDI Input Panel:

Radia JDI Output Panel:

In addition: can someone provide an answer to the following questions so that we can have a consolidated thread on this subject? once a consensus has been reached, I'll change this post to reflect the answers:

A. Can I use any DI, or just a Passive DI?

B. What is the sonic difference between using a DI in reverse and using the proper Reamping box?
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

It seems as though you would plug the track out of your daw into the di output xlr. Then you would plug the input of the di into the amp.

That's the only way I could see it working... I use a reamping box, but hopefully someone will chime in that uses a di box to reamp.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search