The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Auto Naming Software or Method in Pro Tools
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Auto Naming Software or Method in Pro Tools

The simple story is that my client needs to record some 30 pages of script and needs each line (I don't know how many lines yet) as a separate file.

I'm running Pro Tools 7.4 on OSX 10.4 and I'm curious if there are any auto naming programs I can use. I'm aware of the auto region naming in PT but I have multiple characters and there is a large chance of me making an error. Any suggestions?

*For whats its worth, usually I would do this manually but they need specific names and aren't to keen on paying for me to do this all manually.
Old 14th October 2008
What kind of specific names do they need? If you just need generic, chronological numbering, it shouldn't be too hard.

The easiest thing I can think of is get a copy of the script in front of you. As the talent is reading, drop a PT marker between every line. When he's done reading, use the ". - marker number - ." key command to jump between markers, and use the "b" key (in focus mode, or whatever it's called) to separate the regions. This should name the files something like "VO Audio_01" and "VO Audio_02", and you'll at least have everything chronologically.

If you're punching in, it might effect the way the numbering occurs (basically, you'll skip from say "_01" to "_03", for example), so you may want to experiment with Destructive Punch Mode. Or, after the entire script is read, consolidate the entire thing into a single file and then go through and make the cuts at the marker points.
Old 14th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
What kind of specific names do they need? If you just need generic, chronological numbering, it shouldn't be too hard.

The easiest thing I can think of is get a copy of the script in front of you. As the talent is reading, drop a PT marker between every line. When he's done reading, use the ". - marker number - ." key command to jump between markers, and use the "b" key (in focus mode, or whatever it's called) to separate the regions. This should name the files something like "VO Audio_01" and "VO Audio_02", and you'll at least have everything chronologically.

If you're punching in, it might effect the way the numbering occurs (basically, you'll skip from say "_01" to "_03", for example), so you may want to experiment with Destructive Punch Mode. Or, after the entire script is read, consolidate the entire thing into a single file and then go through and make the cuts at the marker points.

Yea, I think this is the best way, too. Just let them know that its not that easy to just "make it happen." I mean, obviously, you want to satisfy the clients needs, but if something has to be done mnually, it has to be done manually. You're the engineer, they're paying YOU to get this done for them, as they couldn't themselves. So, they should trust the decisions you make for this naming process as you're the one with the most knowledge in this situation.
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Maniac

An interesting solution

Thanks for the replies. I thought about just cutting the regions, but I have multiple characters on multiple tracks and I have to rename them anyway. BUT I did come up with a really cool solution that fits all their needs.

Basically I Timestamp all the regions in the order that I need the files to be named (I basically just do some Audiosuite processing to give all the regions a timestamp). Next I sort the regions in the regions menu by User Timestamp and then I Auto Rename Regions and voila I get the order I need with the name I need in a relatively short amount of time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search