The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting a good Dry DI guitar source recording?
Old 10th October 2008
Lives for gear

Getting a good Dry DI guitar source recording?

I plan on re-amping a guitar and bass track, but I want to make sure I am recording it properly on the way in..

I have an Ensemble with Hi-Z inputs (that I assume are linked up to mic preamps) so I can just plug it straight into the Hi-Z inputs on the ensemble and get it to record a good DI'd signal into the computer (should I have those inputs set to Line or Mic?)

Or, I have a JDI Passive box that I can use, then run that into the input of one of the ensemble's preamps.

Either way- do I follow standard protocol in adjusting the preamps gain so that my level peaks around -6dBFS and never clips?
Old 10th October 2008
Lives for gear

-6 might be a bit hot but yes.

Most people like to peak around -12 or -18 but there are no wrong answers. I don't want to start a "levels" war!

I would go the passive DI route, but I have no expierience with the HI-Z inputs of your interface.
Old 11th October 2008
Lives for gear

Here is a question for Ensemble owners-
When running a guitar into the Hi-Z inputs, should I set Maestro to +4, -10, or MIC for those inputs?

What about the soft-limit?
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

When I went DI, my mic pres had to be at almost no gain (10 out of a max of 70)

So, is it better to have the guitar/bass turned all the way up and have the preamps low, or is it better to boost the preamps with the guitar volumes lower...

I would assume that the guitars want to be as loud as possible going down the line to keep the noise floor low, right?
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

despite what others are saying, if you record too low, you will only be raising the noise floor later on. But always turn your guitar/bass to full, then adjust the preamp accordingly. I'm really not happy with what i'm getting right now which is emu 1616m with a radial j48. I'm in the market for something like a reddi or p-solo. Add a limiter and now your talkin'.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Been tracking my SG and Strat DI for this project.

I like to keep the volume up on the guits and get my sound from my strip (Trident 4T). I definitely utilize the EQ and comp components of the Trident and I also put the signal through RNLA on the way in for some more character.

Can't say it's dry, though, as I don't shy away from the pedal board.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search