The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So much gear, so little time!
Old 16th March 2003
Gear Maniac

So much gear, so little time!

So much gear, so little time! Well, not quite that much gear in my case, but certainly little time, when it comes to recording / soundchecking a band. I notice that the pressure is on when the band comes in and sets up their gear. The drumsoundcheck! I notice that the band can get quite nervous waiting arround for a drumsoundcheck to finish, expecially when paying out of their own pockets. I rarely realy have too much time to check out any alternative options rather then let's say changing kick mics for a couple of times and moving the snare mic a bit, 'cause the band wants to start tracking ideally in 90min time after setting up...! And thats with two headphonemixes included - well, you get the picture! Now here is the question. Let's say the band comes in for seven days to record a given amount of material, how much time could you spend (average) to get the drums right in comparison to the whole recording duration without feeling 'guilty'. This example should include a moderate sounding kit/ player, with some tweaks on let's say the kick and floortom. It's clear for me and you guys that a basic drumsound can 'make' the bandsound, but some bands these days seem to forget, that it still can be quite a hard job to achieve......
Old 17th March 2003
Me,

Walk in a Noon, whole band set up by 6pm / 7pm

Drummer in at Noon

Bassist in at 4pm

Rest in at 5pm

I take a long time, but you asked! And a 7 day booking should be able to support this important set up time IMHO.

Anyhow, you know how I work already as we have done several sucessfull sessions together! (but I posted up my methods to join the survey)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search