The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Electric Piano Libraries/Virtual Instruments Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 7th October 2008
Electric Piano Libraries/Virtual Instruments

Hi, I've been searching for a great electric piano library/virtual instrument that is compatible w/ Logic and have found a few that look quite interesting but was wondering if there are any others out there that you have used/heard of that you could recommend. Any one that you feel is the best?

Some of the ones I've found so far are:
Yellow Tools Majestic (I really like the demos for this one so far)
DigiDesign Velvet (sounds great, unfortunately I can't use it in Logic)
Native Instruments Elektrik Piano
Applied Acoustics Lounge Lizard EP-3
Motu Electric Keys

Thanks!
Maru
Old 7th October 2008
Vogon
Most models and sample sets still don't really do the instruments justice, and are OK for getting a rough character, sitting-back in mixes, or overtly synthetic type productions - but not if you want to "feature" the EP IMHO.
(For me, the Logic EP is very bland.)
Lounge Lizzard is OK, the wurli is fat and has a decent buzz/burble, but the "softer" notes are not subtle and complex in tone enough and the overall attack doesn't seem right to me - still too synthetic.
Didn't like the MOTU, can't remember specifics.

But, although I really don't like their interfaces, NI's Electrik Piano is not bad. It's a system-hog, but it's sampled exensively and I've had the best results with it so far.
FWIW, I'll still use a real instrument if the part's "important" and there's one available.
Old 7th October 2008
Gear Nut

Scarbee R.E.P. has always been the best Rhodes sample library ive heard. A lot of other ones are good sounding but don't have good programming when it comes to playing them or they lack some of the real sounding tone in the case of the synth things like Lounge Lizard.

I just looked at their site and it looks like they have 4 EP versions now and none of them are called REP so i have no idea which one it is now, but i would guess the "Classic EP" is it.
Old 7th October 2008
Gear Nut

Get scarbee and don't look back. Works in exs24 in logic and sounds pretty legit. I only have the wurlitzer (Edgy Electric Piano) but I've heard good things about the Rhodes (CEP) as well. They had to change the names due to copyright trouble, but the sounds are the same (maybe even upgraded by now).
Old 7th October 2008
Gear Addict

Scarbee, Scarbee, SCARBEE!!!!
Old 7th October 2008
Lives for gear

Majestic is a bass library so if you like that kind of epianosound you should check Trilogy and Chris Hein Bass!

no seriously-get the Scarbee stuff.
Its the most detailed and welltuned of all.
It really sits nicely in a track and has that certain talking ability.
It really speaks when you dig in.
fabulous sound really.
Old 8th October 2008
Ah thanks guys =D
I'm listening to the scarbee demos now and they do sound really great!
Old 8th October 2008
NI Elektrik Piano; when workin in a scarcer arrangement it can sound pretty convincing. however, it needs a lot of work when u want it to cut thru a denser mix. as the first poster said, if Rhodes is to be featured heavily, a real thing just cuts thru the mix almost effortlessly. amp-ed or DI-ed, my Stage 73 is just so 3-D compared to samples, night n day. with real source EQ is getting something to work with. my imrpession is, a lot of ITB eq on a emulative-type ITB source, just gets u deeper n deeper in plastic land.

for me, choice mostly depends on the type of production; music or jingle/corporate with a deadline. VSTi stuff is always great to have arround, when somtin needs to be finished "yesterday". heh

havent spent time with Scarbee yet, but heard all the best from ppl that did.
Old 8th October 2008
I've listened to most of the Scarbee Vintage Keyboard Piano demos and I must say that they sound really great, the best I've heard so far among the ones listed above.

Quick question though, is anyone using this with just EXS24? It mentions that it supports it but it looks like a lot of the module graphics and controls are designed for Kontakt 2.11
I don't have Kontakt yet but it looks like Kontakt 3 is whats available now, will it work with that? Also, I noticed that it requires the Steinberg key.... is there any way to get this to work with just an iLok?

It looks like if wanted to get this to work 100%, I would have to get the following:
Scarbee K.G.B collection - $400
Kontakt 3 - $400
Steinberg Key - $25
----------
Total: $825

Pretty pricey =(
Old 8th October 2008
Lives for gear

at least the version for EXS that i had was a bit unpleasant regarding the behaviour of the release samples. They sometimes sounded to loud and random etc.
But that might as well have been a general EXS problem at the time.
Didnt have any other releasesamplelibs back then.
anyways-after upgrading to the miserable Halion Player version i finally saw the light in all its glory when i finally got the sidegrade to the Kontaktversion.
That one simply rocks.
No problems-just ghreat sound.
And as a benefit i can still use the Vintage Keyboards multieffectplug that was part of the Halion bundle.
Some really nice and beefy presets inthat one.
perfect for some dirty zawinul rhodes or a smokey stevie clav
totally rocks with the logic instruments too!
Old 8th October 2008
Lives for gear

Wow no-one has mentioned Mr Ray mkII!!?? This is the most authentic emulation I've come across! :-

SoundFonts.it

My next favorite is the Scarbee CEP

SCARBEE Professional Audio Tools: Products: Sample Libraries: C.E.P.
Old 29th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Wow no-one has mentioned Mr Ray mkII!!?? This is the most authentic emulation I've come across! :-

SoundFonts.it

My next favorite is the Scarbee CEP

SCARBEE Professional Audio Tools: Products: Sample Libraries: C.E.P.
Wow! that Mr. Ray one is dope! Best I've heard outside the ones on the Motif.

The Scarbee CEP is a very, very close second. Just wish it had the tremelo options as the Scarbee.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search