The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need a good distant kick drum mic.
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

Not a 2000$ microphone but a decent large membrane that can handle the transients.
tips please
Old 15th March 2003
Gear Addict

If you're looking for something fairly cheap, the Audio Technica 4047 (~$500) does a good job.
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: I need a good distant kick drum mic.

Quote:
Originally posted by andre tchmil
Not a 2000$ microphone but a decent large membrane that can handle the transients.
tips please
Lot of good reports about the Royer 121. Being figure of eight polar patern you can get good isolation too.

Regards

Roland
Old 15th March 2003
Gear Head

Get my Neumann TLM170yuktyy
-This was an ad-
Please dont for this
jakob
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

The Coles ribbon mic's would slightly edge out the Royers for this app mainly because they are slightly darker. If you aren't recording in a good live room no mic will help you, but the Coles works great. Don't put it close to the kick though unless you wanna destroy the ribbon. The royers would also work, but I usually use them on OH's and wouldn't prefer the same texture on my OH's and for a room/kick drum trans mic app.

There is some kind of tube / ribbon mic that Royer made but I don't know if it's available to the public. It might work for this too, but that's just conjecture on my part.
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

I'm just wandering if I'm doing something wrong, Or if it is just the type of Mic I'm using.
I was working on a session today, and I tried an MD 421 and neumann M147
as a distant mic and both gave me a very poor sound, very low mid, muffled.
I tried various positions, 1 ft, 2 ft, 3 ft, 1/2 ft, off center.........

I used this technique before, but can't remember the setup
Old 15th March 2003
Gear Head

I'm using an Oktava ml52 ribbon for this app and it is fantastic. Plus it mixes in well with the overheads. On close kick I'm using a d6 and they sound great together.
Old 15th March 2003
Soundelux U195 or Soundelux iFET7, they work great for me every time. Good Luck.
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

Might be outa ya budget but a Neumann FET 47 willgive u what u need and they are extremely versatile mics. Give one a listen and save up.

Ditto E-Ques's coles thing. I gotsta get mone one of them and a royer!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

Fairly obscure, but very cool in this application (IMO) is the Sony C-500
Here's a pic...

-dave
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

I'll second the Soundelux u195...and it works on vocals,room mic,Gtrs,etc.
Very useful mic that one.
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Might be outa ya budget but a Neumann FET 47 willgive u what u need and they are extremely versatile mics. Give one a listen and save up.

Ditto E-Ques's coles thing. I gotsta get mone one of them and a royer!

PEACE
Wiggy
Perhaps I'm not sure what sound you are looking for. When I see "distact kick drum mic", I think of a big, roomey, almost tunnelish sound like John Bonham on When the Levy Breaks, or more recently Will Champion (Coldplay's drummer) on "In my Place". I own a 47fet, and use it on my kick a lot (or a D12, D112, etc). The 'thing' about the U47fet is the way it handles proximity effect. If you are looking for a sound similar to a "tunnel" sound, the 47 far away isn't what I'd grab first.
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by andre tchmil
... I was working on a session today, and I tried an MD 421 and neumann M147 as a distant mic and both gave me a very poor sound, very low mid, muffled.
As far as a budget large diaghram, I've found the Cad E-200 can work pretty well as a distant kick mic (I think about $250 used).
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
Soundelux U195 or Soundelux iFET7, they work great for me every time. Good Luck.
As everything resemble to a 47fet ...

You could probably try the Brauner PhantomC for that reason (there is a multipolar one, btw): I did not, but I bet my pants it will work.

Anyone has tried it as drum mic ???

malice
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

We did use a Brauner for the drums once.
I couldn't remember the model but I think it was the Valvet.
We put that one in the hallway and left the door to the room open.
I had to put some mids and it starts to sound realy expensiv!:eek:
Old 19th March 2003
Here for the gear

Quote:
originally posted by malice
As everything resemble to a 47fet ...

You could probably try the Brauner PhantomC for that reason (there is a multipolar one, btw): I did not, but I bet my pants it will work.

Anyone has tried it as drum mic ???
I've been digging the Phantom C on drums. It works well as a distant kick mic, but lately I've been feeling it as a mid-head (placed between the rack and floor tom, 3 to 4 inches higher than the rack, angled at the snare to taste), its been a great match with AEA R-84s as overheads. I find myself using a lot less eq on drums in the mix! I've been really impressed with the Phantom, very versatile. I also own a Valvet, but haven't had much luck using it on drums. I didn't know Brauner made a multi-polar Phantom? More info please.

robp
www.witchdoctorrecording.com
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

I saw an add in a shop in france, it was like 200-250 $ more than the unipolar.

Can't get some info on that, but I think I will buy one (multipolar) end of the month.

malice

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search