The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
3D Mic Pre CD
Old 14th March 2003
Gear Maniac

3D Mic Pre CD

OK, how does a guy outside the geographical areas (NY/NASH) of Pro-Audio get to hear 75G worth of gear. Get some CD's.

Has anyone else heard Lynn's CD's or were you there?

I have been listening to the first with female voice and I haven't carefully listened to all of it but a few pres kinda stood out. I think I will be better off with the 2nd as using a female voice as an evaluation tool seems really hard. Sure, it shows the top end ok but doesn't seem to stress the pre in the low mids. It seemed to me that it was hard to recognize a really Fat Pre. I will have to see what happens on the acoustic GTR section this weekend. (opinions? make sense or am I way off?)

Do any of you use the Buzz MA2.2, Cranesong Flamingo, Manley dual Pre, or Millenia gear?

appreciate any help or opinions
Old 16th March 2003
Gear Head

Rsmith, Lynn did a great job on his series of CD's and you can count on his attention to detail and the results being accurate.

Obviously there is no one voice that will give you the entire range so any of these test are a snap shot of a given voice. But in my opinion a female vocalist can more of a challenge than a male. So while the test CD might not give you an idea of what your voice will sound like, it does stress a mic pre.

I use the Buzz, the Cranesong and the Manley (along with a few others), they are all great pieces but very different.

Lee
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

The problem with the pre CD's is it gives you a good listen to what the pre sounds like..... But not in a practical use.
I was playing with pres for Overheads yesterday at the studio, I tried my API, Buzz, 1969, Calrec they all have different colors.
Which one would sound the best in a mix of a song is hard as you are only hearing one sound.
You just need to know what sound you are looking for and see what pres fit. Borrow some and use them on real sessions.

Although I do confess I brought the Buzz after listening to CD#1.
From NZ to OZ was pretty cheap when I brought it a few years back US$1,100.
So I'm a hypocrite and I brought the others unheard too now thinking of it. The Calrec (from Chriso), API(closing down sale) and 1969(S/H locally). The only pre I have left that I did try before buy is the ISA430 as I sold the UA2-610 and 9098 after I got the Calrec and API. Sorry I will now return to my box.
grudge
Old 17th March 2003
Gear Addict

The cd's are like those little paint sample cards at Lowe's/Home Depot. A color may look great on the little 2 inch card, but until you get it all over your wall...you don't know how the results will look.

Still, the preamp/mic cd's are useful. And for the most part, the samples display the characteristics of the preamps/microphones just as I would expect based on my experience with each unit. This is in comparison to each other of course- the key factor is hearing how the vocalist sounds live on that day, in that room.
Old 17th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Dave,

How would you compare the sound of the 1969 to the API and Buzz pre's?
Old 17th March 2003
Lives for gear

The pres in the 1969 are ok, if you read around the pre is not what they spent the time on.
Just a basic cleanish pre.
The API's are nice and colored. Great on Bass DI.
The Buzz are clean and a little forward.

The API's replaced the dual 9098 and UA 2-610 I had.
Its hard to say with mic pres, the better ones are just different flavours. I have 11 channels of pres and only use the Control24 pres for mounted toms...

What sort of stuff are you doing?
What kit of pres do you have?
In the US, maybe look at the great river and Phionex audio stuff, which is getting a good rep. Or a Cranesong Spider.
At the end of the day its whats at the other end of the mic you record, although a few colored and clean are good.
Old 17th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Thanks
Old 17th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hi Dave.

I have a home studio that was originally just for my own (and my wife and sons') music, but I'm starting to get more calls for other people's projects. I'm doing Gospel/Pop/Rock/R and B, my oldest son records Alternative and my 16 year old son records Hardcore. Right now I'm mixing my wife's CD, so the last dollars were spent on a Fatso, an SPL Transient Designer and an Avalon 747. Pre's is where the next dollars will be spent.

So far, I've got just the Yamaha 02R's built in pre's, TC Electronic Gold Channel, a JoeMeek VC3 and a Peavey VMP-2 tube pre. What I lack is a pre with a lot of headroom and good meters.

I'll probably go for a Langevin DVC, a Great River MP-2NV and an FMR Audio RNP. The Langevin is as much for the ELOP compressors and meters as for the solid state mic pre's. The Great River has a reputation as a very versatile preamp, and with my limited space and dollars, versatile is mandatory. The RNP is for when I need squeaky clean.

The problem is I've never actually heard any of these units, so I'm trying to read as many opinions and descriptions as possible. Once I'm ready to buy (meaning, when I have the cash) I'll call Fletcher at Mercenary Audio who gives a double warranty and let's you return anything that doesn't rock your world. That will help if the stuff I thought was great in print turns out to be crap in my ears.
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

It all comes down to personal taste, get some and try them.
I have not heard bad things about the Great rivers, phoinex audio or Cranesong's. Although I have not tried any of these as Australia has not the largest range of pres.
If you can get a return policy then try one of the three above.
It really depends on what color you want, from what I have read these three can do most colors. Fletcher can help you there...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search