The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Comments On The Rupert Neve Tape Emulator?!
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Any Comments On The Rupert Neve Tape Emulator?!

Don't tell me to search it, because I did and there is still nothing on it. It seems like a big risk taker for Neve to do something like this, and my guess is it must sound good, so can anyone justify this, or give any opinions on the product???

thanks
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Maybe try "neve portico tape," in your search? It's here in droves, I promise.
Old 23rd September 2008

i have two of them - ie four channels. It's okay. Better than a plugin, not as god as tape. Oh- and sounds like NO tape machine I've ever used. there is an over large hump at 300hz and the low bass goes - pretty much because of this. Great for the highs - very god on vocals and acoustics. Also snares. Useful for recording, but only if you have a facility dedicated to recording - absolutely no use for the home recordist - or even a project studio. I don't like it for mixing.

Oh - and it's the Neve Portico 5042. Search on that and you'll get loads.
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

thanks a lot. My main concern is if the saturation is similar to that of tape. and If it would work well for tracking drums.
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Nut

i think it works very well for tracking drums. Always on kick and snare here. It gives you a sence of body and punch i enjoy. Makes things solid. Also great on tracking guitars!. ......you do loose some of your really low end thou. Alot of times you really dont want that low end anyway. If you do put it back in......i love it!
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

It emulates tape to certain degree and on guitars, drums and some parallel processing I've found it very useful. Of course it will not replace tape machine, but I have no time to use tape machines too much (except for masters)
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

how about recording the whole drumkit with? would you put it on overheads?
Old 25th September 2008
Gear Nut

yes......but its a 2 channel unit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search