The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ORAM series 24 console....anyone have experience with this desk?
Old 14th March 2003
Lives for gear

ORAM series 24 console....anyone have experience with this desk?

http://www.oram.co.uk/main.html

I stopped by the ORAM site to order the s100 8x6 console as a sidecar/summing mixer/ rehersal room mixer and was poking around the site.

Has anyone used the larger format series 24 console? thoughts?

After the aquisition of a tape machine (in the next two months) we'll be looking for a budget console. Not that the ORAM is budget
Old 14th March 2003
Lives for gear

Yeah, the studio that I intern at has a BEQ 32 channel, 24 buss. The studio manager/my boss is one of the major ORAM techs for the west coast. I only use it when I get to engineer and that isn't super often and I haven't used many other "pro" consoles so I couldn't compare it to anything else. From what I gather, the other engineers at our studio really like the EQ and we use the preamps for tracking drums. (going into PT HD). Our studio is a big punk studio in SB (ataris, lagwagon, nerf herder, bad astronaut, etc...) and all the drums on those records have been recorded through it. I don't really have a lot of input, but I like how it sounds well enough.

Ian
Here's the studio: http://www.orangewhip.com
Old 14th March 2003
Lives for gear

do yourself a favor, go to www.prosoundweb.com and ask that same question in John Klett's forum.

You will get a goldmine, IIRC.
Old 14th March 2003

I have read on various forums some horror stories about Oram consoles requiring heavy modification to get them to work properly - I suggest you tread carefully !!

Cheers
Tim.
www.buzzaudio.co.nz
Old 14th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by imacgreg
Yeah, the studio that I intern at has a BEQ 32 channel, 24 buss. The studio manager/my boss is one of the major ORAM techs for the west coast. I only use it when I get to engineer and that isn't super often and I haven't used many other "pro" consoles so I couldn't compare it to anything else. From what I gather, the other engineers at our studio really like the EQ and we use the preamps for tracking drums. (going into PT HD). Our studio is a big punk studio in SB (ataris, lagwagon, nerf herder, bad astronaut, etc...) and all the drums on those records have been recorded through it. I don't really have a lot of input, but I like how it sounds well enough.

Ian
Here's the studio: http://www.orangewhip.com
Hey Ian, thanks for the reply. Your studio owner (angus) is an aquaintence of the guy that co owns our new place, Danny Campbell (Proxy)(mention Fish and the Seaweeds)

Funny, I looked at your place today from a link at the ORAM site. Looks like a cool place to work. I've heard great things about Angus.....Hopefully swing by some day.
Craig
Old 14th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
Hey Ian, thanks for the reply. Your studio owner (angus) is an aquaintence of the guy that co owns our new place, Danny Campbell (Proxy)(mention Fish and the Seaweeds)

Funny, I looked at your place today from a link at the ORAM site. Looks like a cool place to work. I've heard great things about Angus.....Hopefully swing by some day.
Craig
Yeah, I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to work there. Angus and Mark have taught me a lot and let me do a lot of engineering. I still gotta do the intern stuff (garbage, phones, trash, producer's laundry yuktyy ) but it's well worth it. Anyway, check out this studio named Eloy: http://www.eloyproductions.com/

They've got two beautiful rooms and two top notch Oram's. Mark did a lot of work in that studio and does the console tech as well. If you want to know about Oram mods, lemme know and I'll talk to Mark about 'em.

Ian
Old 14th March 2003
Gear Nut

All I can say is that I looked at one at a major used gear dealer in London. We had a poke around inside and the general conclusion that it would be a nightmare from a tech/maintence POV, the build quality was considered poor for a large format console. They were looking to shift it cheap as none of them wanted to touch it!!
Old 14th March 2003
Gear Maniac

John Oram's reputation is not great (to put it kindly).
I would never consider buying anything from that man, ever.
I know some of people that has been severly burned by his (never fulfilled) promises.

Do a search for "oram" at Gearslutz, Musicplayer and at Prosoundweb/Recpit forums. You will be amazed.

/Mats
Old 14th March 2003
Lives for gear

Ditto....

I dont like the way he dresses all 'Rico Suave' in his glossy ads with the extra swarmy look on his face. If im buying a console i want to know that the people who make it are Nerds, boffins, Rocket Scientists in a sonic sense and dont sleep they only dream about audio, and are passioante individuals that live and breathe their audio.... the purest form of gearslutdom there is!

Not about which suit and tie he will be wearing in the next MIX or SOS add.

And yes the explanations at Klett's forum is truly scary and definately highlights the problems that many have spoken about in relation to dealing with Oram.

tread with caution and have a handy tech with lots of patience and you may need a larger wallet than expected.

If you are looking for a console there are a multitude of options around these days, tell us the budget and im sure we all will be only happy to chip in our 2cents worth so u can guage what will fit your needs and budget. But in relation to a new console i think an Elan or Elite woudl fit your bill very well and Mike is making them agian so service and support will not be a problem unlike other consoles..

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 15th March 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Ditto....But in relation to a new console i think an Elan or Elite woudl fit your bill very well and Mike is making them agian so service and support will not be a problem unlike other consoles..

PEACE
Wiggy
Wiggy, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Viva la Neotek!

p.s. Did you get the M79? You really should.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search