The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Back to vinyl
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Back to vinyl

It's been many many years since I bought a new turntable and cartridge. I'm thinking of getting some thing new.

Any suggestions for a really good turntable and cartridge. Doesn't need to be top of the line audiophile but something good none the less.
Old 19th September 2008
I am thrilled with my rig: Acoustic Solid Classic Wood turntable (Acoustic Solid), Sumiko Blackbird cartridge and Graham Slee Era Gold phono stage (Graham Slee Phono Preamplifier Stage: Era Gold V). Then into a Classe integrated amp and some B&W speakers.

Granted that's a little bit of a high end rig (they go much higher but it'll set you back a bit). I started lower end about 5 years ago, dabbling with vinyl and gradually upgraded every piece until I got to this rig about a year ago - I'm totally happy with it and have no plans to upgrade further.

But, to give some sense of how much I like it, I started selling all of my CDs about a month ago . . . when I really want to listen to music it's either vinyl or, if it ain't on vinyl, the iPod (or iTunes through my Focal Solos).

You might want to poke around the Stereophile site - they have a bunch of reviews up and they are extremely thorough . . .
Old 19th September 2008

I got a used Hitachi servo-controlled direct drive turntable last year. It has a decent tone arm.

I then bought a new Shure M97xE cartridge. After setting up the geometry and anti-skate and all that it sounds good. Cleaning the old records before playing them takes some time, but that's part of the ritual.

So, under $250 and it sounds great - I already had a decent phono stage in my existing pre-amp.

-tINY

Old 19th September 2008
Gear Addict

Take a look at Needle Doctor, they sell a wide range of turntables and cartridges.
Old 19th September 2008
Gear Addict

Highest recommendation for:

VPI Scout w/arm, thought to be about the best you can get under $1500. Lots of choice for carts, I'd go with a denon 103, only a couple hundred bucks...

Love mine.
Old 19th September 2008
Gear Addict

A bit cheaper than the Scout (excellent table) is one from Marantz ($1600). It's made by Clearaudio and comes with an $800 Clearaudio cartridge that's also an excellent choice. On the less expensive but still really good side are Rega tables and a newer company called Pro-ject. I think both have table/arm/cart combos under $400 new.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search