The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I caved in.....
Old 19th September 2008
  #1
I caved in.....

Client is a vocal coach on a limited budget..he missed some pitch issues on parts different singers he brought in hit ..

so i bought melodyne plug in as it was me or parting out the work

i must say it is a pretty powerful tool..i find i like using it for choursing efx rather than the old harmoniser or primtime/spx 90 type choral efx

and it was nice last night when a rap artist wanted his low bass copied up an octave and blended in too

so why do i feel like a turn coat? ..
Old 19th September 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
kooz's Avatar
 

Good!

It's a bloody powerful tool, so the presumed guilt you feel using it will prevent it's over-use and therefore abuse at your hands.

Let's hope everyone who has access to it is as awestruck.


Record people making music, don't fabricate it. It's all about the performance. If they can't do it, it shouldn't be "done".
Old 19th September 2008
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooz View Post
It's a bloody powerful tool, so the presumed guilt you feel using it will prevent it's over-use and therefore abuse at your hands.

Let's hope everyone who has access to it is as awestruck.


Record people making music, don't fabricate it. It's all about the performance. If they can't do it, it shouldn't be "done".
it makes my friends autotune plug in look and sound like a joke
Old 19th September 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 

be careful with it on S's and breaths...
Old 19th September 2008
  #5
...and watch out for it sucking the high-end out of vocals as well - something autotune doesn't do. I have to say, although I have and use melodyne, I much prefer the new autotune..sure it's not as quick, but I find I get better results with it.
Old 19th September 2008
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
be careful with it on S's and breaths...

thanksthumbsup i noticed and then messed with different ways to clean stuff up
Old 19th September 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
...and watch out for it sucking the high-end out of vocals as well - something autotune doesn't do. I have to say, although I have and use melodyne, I much prefer the new autotune..sure it's not as quick, but I find I get better results with it.
I've noticed this too!
Old 19th September 2008
  #8
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I've noticed this too!
I'm starting to f'n hate what melodyne does to the vocal sound, I think that program kinda sucks. It's quick an easy but it puts nasty **** on the track.
Old 19th September 2008
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I'm starting to f'n hate what melodyne does to the vocal sound, I think that program kinda sucks. It's quick an easy but it puts nasty **** on the track.
what melodyne program?..popping in and out of mine is fine..but i don't analize like i used to
Old 19th September 2008
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
...and watch out for it sucking the high-end out of vocals as well - something autotune doesn't do. I have to say, although I have and use melodyne, I much prefer the new autotune..sure it's not as quick, but I find I get better results with it.
wow you are right..i listened to something wher it wasn't a word or 2 it was a sentence and yup the glass dissapears hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 19th September 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Yeah, but you'll get that cool ass autotune sound happening, so the lack of high end won't matter!
Old 19th September 2008
  #12
Lives for gear
 
drmmrboy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
it makes my friends autotune plug in look and sound like a joke
Yeah man.. J came in w/ it on his macbook & it is sooo easy to get around in. So easy, that he was tuning them himself.. How's that for an add? "So easy, even a singer can use it!" (sorry James) All that coming from a drummer.. Anyway..

I was about to put autotune on the block, but I'm gonna have to listen a little closer after reading what you guys are saying here..
Old 20th September 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 

I think it's worth getting the full program (you get the plugin for free anyway). It can be used in various modes, "sampler" mode is basically tape varispeed with no artifacts (pure resampling with no resynthesis).

I like fooling with formant shifting on drums & stuff. I also like the way you can quickly adjust the volume on blobs - good for fixing wild dynamics, before or instead of compression/limiting.

Polyphonic pitch correction is amazing.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump