The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I wonder if we could get VSL and Omnisphere to run on one of these...
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

I wonder if we could get VSL and Omnisphere to run on one of these...

Cray & Microsoft Partner on Cheap Supercomputer - HotHardware

Affordable Cray supercomputer.

Starting Price - $25,000

For all you non-TDM users, here is the native solution you have been looking for.
Old 19th September 2008
welll... if you maxed it out with the 8 nodes at 64gb of RAM each... and the meagre 4 terabytes of storage... i dunno... on a good day.,...? it MIGHT just about run it!!! lol

seriously tho... holeeeeeeey whatsit.. that thing running a DAW would be phenomenal.. (dreaming) Pair it with custom GUI on a 57" NEC Touchscreen - You could have your whole "console" complete with master section in view at all times... Touch a channel and it expands clearer into view.. a virtual "500 series" style modular layout with a modelled Who's Who list of pre's, comps and eq's from history... Flip it into edit mode and multitrack editing and arranging couldn't be simpler.. !! ... ok stop me now, i'm rambling..!!
Old 19th September 2008
and as a sidenote.. the picture on the brochure from Cray with the blonde sat in the Herman Miller Aeron chair, ignoring the photographer.. the actual Computer looks Photoshopped in! ... Badly!!! (I've seen better work on here in the hilarious Pierrick Mic thread!!) Is it me... or is the perspective on the Cray sat on the floor totally outta whack with the rest of the shot?
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

What's so great about that one and why should'nt you be able to run any VSt on it ?
It is ,as far as i can tell, it's a dual CPU Xeon just like a Dell Precision T7400 or MacPro. I see nothing spectacular about it except for the price.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search