The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hybrid Studio gear advise
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

Hybrid Studio gear advise

Hi all!

I have an ITB studio, with a good plugin collection, and I'd like to get the next step getting a rack and filling it with selected analog gear, so I'd like having your advise about this (I have little background with analog gear).

This is what I have:

- Mac Pro with Nuendo 4, Waves Platinum, Liquid Mix, IK multimedia, and so on.
- Manley Slam!
- TL-Audio Dual Pentatode Preamp.
- Urei LA10
- JBL 7110EX
- A good stomp boxes collection.
- Hiwatt Custom Tape Echo

This is my gear search terms:

- I'm looking for analog "color". I have great plugins, so I'm looking what I don't have.
- As cheap as possible. I know that this is a difficult one, but I wouldn't like going out of business. Having analog gear is for my own enjoyment.

I've been looking for other topics about this in this forum and I read about some Joemeek gear.

Thanks for your help!!

Best regards.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

On the cheap?

I send a lot of my stuff in through RNLA.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

If you want "cheap" analog color, start with a few reamps & direct boxes so that you can insert your stomp box collection at line level.

You could add another versatile 2-channel compressor because plugin compressors generally have a ways to go, whereas EQs and FX can sound pretty good.

If you want color from the source, look into a Chandler Limited Germanium Preamp/DI. Twisting its knobs can make it sound like you swapped mics or instruments, and it can sound fat or clean.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

I'm sorry but when you said analog color on the cheap I immediately thought of an MCI JH-110 1" 8-track.

I don't think that'll fit in your rack though. Also being in Spain, I don't know how hard one would be to find.

It definitely equals analog colors though, 8 channels of it. However, I don't think it's an item that will necessarily garner more clientele. Musicians love to talk about tape but I don't see them use it very much.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Buying a tape machine sounds difficult to maintain, isn't it?

Why not an EQ?

About stomp boxes, any outstanding one that I'm missing? Is there any reliable way to drive them with line signals, or it's just taking down the output level for the converters?

I have a Rosetta 800, probably not enough to connect al the gear that I'll like to buy and I'm thinking on buying a MOTU or M-AUDIO firewire device and use with it thru the Core Audio multi soundcard trick. Anybody tried it with success?

Another advises?

Thanks!!

Regards.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

By the way, MCI JH-110 seems hard to find, any alternative or way to find it?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search