The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is Parallel Compression?
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

What is Parallel Compression?

I did a search. It's a general topic. What is it?
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

Mutant Audio :: Parallel Compression Tutorial

or

parallel compression - Google Search

I think you'll get a lot more info about it that way than on a forum...

It's simply having one mixdown of the track compressed mixed into the uncompressed mixdown so the dynamics remain but the track is a lot heavier.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

From what I've always read it's when you have two identical tracks and one is compressed while the other isn't. That's probably an oversimplified definition but I'm pretty sure that's it.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

General idea: You compress the signal but add it to the original signal rather than replace it. Thereby getting the transients of the original, but the sound of compression from the compressed signal.

There is a very good (although not entirely formed) discussion on the differences between parallel compression and straightforward downward compression on the mastering forum.

Well worth a read.

Parallel compression under microscope
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Use the new stillwell compressor it has a knob for parallel compression.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

short answer ... do it
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Right on, so it's almost like running compression on an aux channel of the original. Either that or tape/software copy. Right on, thanks guys.

Is there a term for using a side chain compressor in front of an EQ and then using a second compressor chasing the EQ compressing the signal in full?
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post

Is there a term for using a side chain compressor in front of an EQ and then using a second compressor chasing the EQ compressing the signal in full?
LOL, I don't think there is.

In the same way astronomers name stars, I think soupy should get to name the technique, simply because he put it it writing.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Use the new stillwell compressor it has a knob for parallel compression.
as does many PSP products, including a personal favorite, the PSP Mixpressor, better than stillwell audio in my opinion
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
LOL, I don't think there is.

In the same way astronomers name stars, I think soupy should get to name the technique, simply because he put it it writing.
Heh, thanks Mark.

I haven't put it to use in hardware yet since I don't own a compressor with a side-chain. Was just foolin with Ableton and liked the use of two-stage compression with the EQ in the middle. I couldn't tell you the reason why but I guess it's kind of like gain staging in terms of reasoning. Like shifting gears in a car or something.

The way I figure is some people like their eggs over easy, who cares what the science is? They're good, eat 'em. I don't even like eggs. Some people don't like compression. Go figure.

I read the compression under a microscope thread and had to re-boot my user.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

So what you calling it?
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what you calling it?
Beats me. I guess the nature of it is that it tightens the sound, passes the EQ to be affected at the 2nd stage, and then is brought into full 'color' or focus with overall compression at the third stage.

Is there any kind of food that's cooked in three phases in a flip-flop like manner?

Shoot, I'm from L.A. We could just call it LA style compression. But I doubt I'm the first to try something like this.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post

Can you expand on this a bit?

What is the source of the side chain? Sorry, the concept is just still a bit fuzzy.

What are, in your words, the benefits of this type of chain,?

Ivan
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelista View Post
Can you expand on this a bit?

What is the source of the side chain? Sorry, the concept is just still a bit fuzzy.

What are, in your words, the benefits of this type of chain,?

Ivan
Well my only experience with a side-chain is through software so I might have my terminology a little bit confused, but I'm pretty sure it some how compresses the signal without affecting the EQ of the signal or bypassing it somehow.

I was just wondering if there was a term for side-chained compression -> EQ -> full signal compression. But I might not know what I'm talking about. It's hard to tell when just clicking buttons in a software app.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Nut

aka New York Compresion
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what you calling it?
Soupination?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search