The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Testing mics - Great River ME-1NV or Solo 610?
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Testing mics - Great River ME-1NV or Solo 610?

Yes I know these are preamps....
I'd like to know which one of those is better to test mics with.

Despite of what I talked about on the low-end forum in the past days, I am going to get me either a Great River ME-1NV or a Solo 610 or a UA LA-610.
I'd like to know if the Great River or the 610 is better to use when testing mics?

These mics I might be selecting from:

M-Audio Sputnik
AT 4033
AT 4040
AT 4050
AT 4047
SM7b

so.... together with my (smaller) selection of mics, should I use a Great River or a Solo/LA 610 with them?

Male vocal use only.
Since I can only order 1 or 2 preamps, and probably only keep rather 1 than 2, I'd like to know quite soon which preamp would do me a bigger favour when selecting the mics that I wanna keep.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Well, you've asked a difficult question to answer, I think.

It's like saying, "I'm going to try on a bunch of new shirts. Which pair of pants should I wear?"

The answer is: "The pair that matches the shirts."

Get what I'm saying?
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
Well, you've asked a difficult question to answer, I think.

It's like saying, "I'm going to try on a bunch of new shirts. Which pair of pants should I wear?"

The answer is: "The pair that matches the shirts."

Get what I'm saying?
I like that analogy.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Haha absolutely.....

hrmm hrmm

I mean.... from the audio files at the Audio Technica page I can tell there's a very subtle difference between the mics to my untrained ear that is.....

so I have to test the mics here in my room anyway, with my voice, in my mixes... so I was wondering which of the 2 preamps lets the mics be more what they are.

If *you* get what I mean

Anyway, atm I am leaning towards the Great River.
Still not sure if I - for my individual voice - would prefer the Solo 610... and I wanna order tomorrow
Old 18th September 2008
So then the issue is really, does this pre-amp make my butt look big?
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

The Great River and great preamp that seems to be universally loved, and I've never heard a single bad thing about it. You probably couldn't go wrong with the GR. I personally owned a 610 and absolutely loved it, but it imparts it's own character in a not so subtle way. It's a very colored preamp that does a fantastic job on male vocals and amplified sources, hated it for drums though. My suggestion is ordering from a place that will let you return it if it doesn't work for you.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

You should get the Great River 610 Twin Solo.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

My dealer, Thomann, that allows me to return the stuff that I don't want within 30 days, is only having this 1 Great River in stock.....
I might order the GR and the Solo 610 cos the 610 is still my intuitive nr.1.....
will test the mics with the GR though.

Always these tough decisions.....
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
My dealer, Thomann, that allows me to return the stuff that I don't want within 30 days, is only having this 1 Great River in stock.....
I might order the GR and the Solo 610 cos the 610 is still my intuitive nr.1.....
will test the mics with the GR though.

Always these tough decisions.....
yes, this sounds like a good decision. the great river could work with anything which is not the case for the 610. i have an love my LA610 though
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

How much different is the Solo 610 to the LA 610 though?
Is the LA worth the almost double price of the Solo?
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
How much different is the Solo 610 to the LA 610 though?
Is the LA worth the almost double price of the Solo?
i don't know the 610 standalone pre but the LA610 is awesome. the limiter and comp are very handy when recording (or tracking if that's your pref :-) ) to get a better average level in particular for bass DI or backing vox or main vox too. i always use it sparingly. is it worth it....i don't know but i like having the option. the eq is great and i have recorded with it against my normal practice

to be honest though, with the quality of plugins and headroom in DAWS you don't need to record with these features. nowadays it's all about the pre and not so much the eq & comp in these units as people commonly record without them - not the rule
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

What style of music?

If you know you will be gravitating toward one of these pres, that is the one you should use in your tests.

Having said that, if I were simply testing to discern subtle differences in mics, I would prefer a cleaner, less colored pre than either. If forced to pick one (for testing only), the GR can be set up to be less colored. The UA is pretty characterful.

Having said that, I really like the UA, but the style of music I do works well with it. YMMV.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

In general pop, but nothing as polished as up there in the charts.
No Rnb or urban, but classic and/or independent/alternative/synth pop.
I have a very wide range of styles actually, but they all fit into "pop" in general.
If I could play guitar and/or had a guitarist at my side, I'd def. do rock as well.

Sometimes I demand some dirty character, sometimes I might want to sound clean.... depends on the song really.

Most of my songs have relaxed / laid back / calm vocals.
Some older songs that give an example of my vocals (songs 1, 3 and 4):

MySpace.com - Felix Penk - Cologne, DE - Pop / Electro / Indie - www.myspace.com/felixpenk

It's badly mixed and recorded with a Sennheiser 835S > ART Tube MP > Tascam FW 1082.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search