The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Orpheus and ULN-2
Old 17th September 2008

Orpheus and ULN-2

My mind is wandering to and fro between these two interfaces. I am mainly a songwriter / composer / vocalist / guitar player, and looking for high quality for a small, but professional quality setup.
My thoughts and questions regarding these two interfaces:
Orpheus: Superb sound quality, more channels (although not necessarily needed for my work)
ULN-2: MIO console mixer, routing + mixing + summing in 80 bit with good FX, character plugins provide lots of color, less expensive

It comes down to two questions that I have not found the answer to yet. Maybe somebody can really help out and provide insight?
1. HOW BIG is the difference in sound quality between the Orpheus and the ULN-2? Is it really that dramatic? Or is the ULN-2 already so good that everybody would say for a high end project studio you would be set?
2. HOW GOOD are the character emulations and the other plugins in the ULN-2? And would summing through the 80bit MIO mixer make a relevant difference in sound quality compared to mixing only in the DAW (like I would have to do if I get the Orpheus)?
Old 17th September 2008

Oh, and just for the record (if that info is relevant for giving advice) the rest of the gear:

Adam P11 A monitor pair
Room treatment budget ca. 2000€
Macbook Pro with Cubase 4, NI Komplete 5, lots of sample libraries, URS CSP, UAD-2 Xpander Quad
Microphones: Shure SM7B and either...
low budget solution: Avant CV-12 and MXL V69M for two different colours
high budget solution: Lawson package deal - have to see if I can stretch the budget thus far
Pres: Well, apart from the clean pres in the ULN-2 or the Orpheus, I thought about a Lunchbox with API 512c and Vintagedesign M581, gives me Neve and API sound... but that is where I might save lots of money if the character emus in the ULN-2 get me already quite far...
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Guru

I plan on writing a review, once I actually do the review, of this very question. I have a friend, a big wig in the industry, who uses the Orpheus. When he and I have time I'm going to bring my Metric Halo and compare them head to head. But as of now I cannot comment.
Old 18th September 2008

That would be really great! Hope you guys find the time to do that soon. I am very interested in both units and happy for every bit of information.

I have seen in your other posts that you are a very happy Metric Halo user and have read lots in the "News from Metric Halo" thread. Sounds like the feature set is unbeatable atm. Does the sound quality give you absolute satisfaction for professional recording and mixing? I want to spend money ONCE and rather spend lots and be set and never have to think about upgrades much again.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by portraitofpeter View Post
That would be really great! Hope you guys find the time to do that soon. I am very interested in both units and happy for every bit of information.

I have seen in your other posts that you are a very happy Metric Halo user and have read lots in the "News from Metric Halo" thread. Sounds like the feature set is unbeatable atm. Does the sound quality give you absolute satisfaction for professional recording and mixing? I want to spend money ONCE and rather spend lots and be set and never have to think about upgrades much again.
Absolutely. I haven't looked back. That's why I'm confident stacking it up against the Orpheus. But it'll be his ears and experience and mine, to keep things "fair and balanced."
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

i've got the 2882. i'm not using the pres but as far as the conversion goes, i don't think i need anything better. i have the DUET too which is a nice variation but i prefer the sound of the 2882, it's a fair bit clearer but i still like the DUET
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by portraitofpeter View Post
2. HOW GOOD are the character emulations and the other plugins in the ULN-2? And would summing through the 80bit MIO mixer make a relevant difference in sound quality compared to mixing only in the DAW (like I would have to do if I get the Orpheus)?
I'm a songwriter also. Don't know the other unit and I can't comment on the character emulations as I've never heard the devices they emulate. My take on the 80 bit mixer is I've heard comparisons in a pro studio of a 40+ track mix summed into the MIO with stems and compared to the same thing summed out of Logic and the difference was noticeable and striking. The MIO seemed wider and more dimensional. HOWEVER, on my stuff, track counts less then 12, I don't hear that much of a difference, if at all. So maybe it has to do with large track counts and plug ins and all that stuff, dunno, I don't really understand.

The one character plug I can't get away from is softsat. I mean...wow...not sure what it's emulating, but I have a hard time living with out it. The one plug I love is Haloverb. FVCKING AMAZING REVERB. Beautiful. Sweet. HUGE. What I've been waiting for in a reverb plug. I eq the bus going out to the verb with just a touch of sizzle and a small delay right after it and the vocal is just where I want it. Gorgeous.

I've been tracking some friends out in the barn (I have a ULN and 2882 and am currently building a SCA of J99 pres), and the whole MIO Mixer Console thingy makes it a total pleasure to work and record, I don;t even bother with a Logic till it's time to mix and edit. And the killer thing is I know I'm only scratching the surface of it's capabilities. The more I use it (I have the ULN for a few years) the more I love it.

And have I mentioned how great the customer support and company outlook is?
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Find a dealer who has both. Weighing sonic quality against options is a hard thing to do.
I wonder at what level sound is 'good enough' or 'professional'. (Sure that is so with MH, RME and Apogee) However since I'm mainly recording singer songwriter and Indian Classical (often just 2 naked channels...) I am more then happy having access to Orpheus. (rather touched by...) Would not do it for less... Whatever needs to be done with processing can be done anyway.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman View Post
Find a dealer who has both. Weighing sonic quality against options is a hard thing to do.
I wonder at what level sound is 'good enough' or 'professional'. (Sure that is so with MH, RME and Apogee) However since I'm mainly recording singer songwriter and Indian Classical (often just 2 naked channels...) I am more then happy having access to Orpheus. (rather touched by...) Would not do it for less... Whatever needs to be done with processing can be done anyway.
Or the ULN-2 -- two naked channels with 18 from you DAW or out to your DAW for mixing, treating.

But Orpheus is a great piece.
Old 18th September 2008

Guys, I think you are just making me save 3000€.

Quote:
Absolutely. I haven't looked back.
That's the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear.

Quote:
HOWEVER, on my stuff, track counts less then 12, I don't hear that much of a difference, if at all. So maybe it has to do with large track counts and plug ins and all that stuff, dunno, I don't really understand.
Of course, the higher bit rate in summing is lots about headroom, and the more tracks you have, the more you need of that. My projects typically have 4-6 vocal tracks (I double lots and do parallel compression+EQing using the same track twice etc.), 4-8 electric guitar tracks (wall of rhythm guitars + sometimes harmony leads), some orchestral stuff with strings and choirs, and the obligatory bass guitars and 6 to 8 tracks of drums. So I often get up to 60 tracks all in all, which according to your observation should profit lots then from the 80 bit mixer.

THANKS to everybody!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search