The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boss ce-1 chorus ensemble
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Boss ce-1 chorus ensemble

So I've been reading up on this legendary pedal, looks cool(the original), I guess it was made @ 25 years ago. Is there anyone out there who is using Boss's newer version of this one? I know that Johnny Marr from The Smiths used one and Skunk Baxster from the Steely Dan fame also, but was wondering what the new models sound like. I'm looking for a really lush but natural sounding chorus, that along with a nice overdrive pedal for a 70's guitar sound, maybe I'll put a stomp box compressor in front of this chain, and either record direct through my board (which does sound kinda older) or mic up my old noisy Fender Stage 112se. I'm not using any plugins for effects with guitars and am trying to stay "old school" as much as possible, so maybe some Motown sounding pedals are what I'm gettin at. What pedals are you folks using for some 70's fm material.
Thanks, Steelyfan
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

The ce-1 is one of the greatest chorus pedal but it really shines only when both outputs are used. I didn't know Boss put a re-issue out. The UA plug version is great. (I know you don't want a plug..but just saying!)

Also the CE-1 was not really meant for guitar... (You can get a mod done for the right impedance.)But for keyboards hence the 2 outputs. The CE-2 is pretty cool too and a cheaper option.
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Addict

I've got an original CE-2, the smaller blue colored pedal. AFAIK it's not very different sound-wise from the bigger CE-1. I think of Pretenders and Police when I use it... very 80's.
Old 17th September 2008
I have an original CE1 I bought at a Mars Music for $125. It's one of those pedals where the imitations are good, even great, but there's nothing like the real thing.

Baikonour is absolutely right - running it in stereo with 2 amps is otherworldly. One output is just your straight, un-effected signal, the other is modulated. When I used to use it live, I'd have the chorus set slow and the vibrato set fast and get a real funky leslie feel between the two.

They're funky pedals in that their gain structure and impedance is set more for, say, a keyboard input than electric guitar pups. Also, when bypassed without a buffer in front they can suck the one out of your rig like nothing else. There's a great deal of discussion about this around the net, and I think analogman does a number of mods for them.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

I have an old CE-1 I used on a Fender Rhodes for years. I use it now in the aux loop on a Mesa Lonestar for gtr. It still sounds great.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

O.k, thanks for the info folks. I think maybe I'll look into Ce-2, I saw an original CE-1 on ebay for..........$750.00!! Stupid. I do own that old boss
purple flanger, the one with three knobs, it's pretty cool but a little to spacey for some clean stuff. But it does sound analogue so me ear.
It doesn't need to be Boss, i just know they make cool chorus pedals.
I really like the way those old Smiths records sound, they really have a
Motown sound to'em, when I hear those tracks, first thought is "real nice, darkly smooth". Anyhow.

Groovedog, I lived in Austin for @ 7 years in the early-mid 90's.
You ever been to The Crown And Anchor or The Elephant Room?
Two of my favorite places.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Check out the Diamond Halo Chorus...it is a clone but with some upgrades. I have it...run it in stereo to a stereo delay and then to two nice guitar amps and it is unbelievable...sounds as good or better than the jc-120...seriously bad ass.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

I got one of these sitting on the street waiting for the garbage! It's a little testy, but when you get it set up and working it sounds amazing. In stereo, of course!

I was told it's the same chorus you find in Juno's of the same time period (if you know that sound) and uses a different algorithm than most choruses. It makes the sound "float" in an amazing way, on low chorus settings. Higher chorus settings are almost steel drum-like (think of that crazy John Scofield sound). It is difficult to get to set right in a mix sometimes since it so damn stereo, but there's really nothing like it.

It also has a vibrato setting, but I don't find that as useful.

but $750 is too much! dig a little deeper for it...
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

Ce1 and Ce2 are not the same. Additionally the new roland/boss double chorus ensemble pedal is a digital do-it-all pedal- total crap if you actually know what a good BBD chorus sounds like.

retro-sonic is the only manufacturer currently that makes a clone of the original boss ce-1 chorus ensemble + true bypass.
Old 18th September 2008

If I was buying one of those pedals, I would skip the CE-1 and get the CE-2...

For those who like plugins, Soundtoys Echoboy has an excellent rendition of the CE-2 chorus pedal.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
If I was buying one of those pedals, I would skip the CE-1 and get the CE-2...

For those who like plugins, Soundtoys Echoboy has an excellent rendition of the CE-2 chorus pedal.
Well. UA is doing a great emulation of the CE-1!

Also the CE-2 sounds nice, it doesn't sound like a CE-1/ CE-2 has a real 80's chareacter (it does sound really close to the chorus found in the Roland synth from the same era Juno 6, jupiter etc...) The CE-1 although shares some realtion with these but sound closer to older 70s Roland model
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Great info people, thanks for chiming in. I tell you this, I have some cool pluggins, -- Timeless fabfilter is really good for guitar and delay effects, even choruses, isitope trash can sound nice, and I've heard the rage about the Sound Toys stuff, but right when the pluggins company started getting really good..... my taste have change. NO plugins for me. nothing against the sound, there just not as fun as pedals. I've started collecting a chain of stomp pedals i use the reamp with, eveything from vocals to guitars to sax or trumpet, it's a blast, and i make it a performance. So i MUST have knobs to turn.
So far, I'm goona look at the Boss CE-2, maybe the Redwitch chorus,
and this H20 chorus I saw somewhere.
Anyone else?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search