The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
lauten audio clarion
Old 17th September 2008
  #1
Lives for gear
 
audiothings's Avatar
 

lauten audio clarion

the particularly interesting thing about these (for me) is that they have the lowest self noise - 10 dB(a) - that i have seen in any multi-pattern transformer output microphone.

Old 18th September 2008
  #2
Gear Head
 
bloud's Avatar
 

Thanks for visiting our site and reading into the Clarions specs. The Clarion is noticeably quiet. Most modern FET microphones have self-noise ratings ranging from <6dB(A) up to 20dB(A).

However, we have just updated all the new mic pages and the <10dB(A) is actually a misprint. It should read <15dB(A). Correction is made.

Thanks for your post and bringing to our attention this error.
Old 4th April 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Blinddot's Avatar
 

I'm looking for an under-1K big condenser FET with multi-pattern selection, for acoustic guitar, trumpet, voiceover and female vox. The FC357 seems to be a bit more expensive than what I had in mind, so I'm wondering if it's worth it... in the other hand the recorded samples sound very good.

All I could find, at the moment, has been: SE electronics Z3300a, Sterling audio ST79 and Advance audio CM87

advice or experiences anyone?

Hi brian, since I dont think I'll be able to try any of these mics I'm just trying find out what electronics they bring. Would you, please, be kind enough and comment on the capsule, wiring, circuit board (caps), output transformer, grill etc.. of the FC357?

cheers
Old 8th April 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Blinddot's Avatar
 

I see it must be an upgraded Feilo F3000, so it's a 1.22" capsule

http://www.feilo-usa.com/images/f3000.jpg

Any coments on the Fet circuitry? is it a single FET/gain stage non DC/DC converter circuit, u87i type of circuit? u87a? something else?

cheers
Old 13th April 2009
  #5
Gear Head
 
bloud's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinddot View Post
I see it must be an upgraded Feilo F3000, so it's a 1.22" capsule

http://www.feilo-usa.com/images/f3000.jpg

Any coments on the Fet circuitry? is it a single FET/gain stage non DC/DC converter circuit, u87i type of circuit? u87a? something else?

cheers
Sorry for the delay in response, was just made aware of this post.

Interesting that you would relate it to a Feilo F3000. Perhaps you know something of my past.

The Clarion has no relation to the F3000. different capsule, circuit, transformer, size, weight body etc etc. Have you ever seen a Clarion? or a F3000?

The Clarion uses a 28.25mm dual diaphragm capsule designed specifically for the Clarion. We chose a low-noise FET and as with all Lauten mics the transformer we use is of custom spec and winding.

The Clarion contains two stages. The second stage is an emitter follower which acts as a impedance converter. Because it is a multi-polar pattern microphone, it contains two DC/DC converter circuits that produce both positive and negative bias voltages.

The Clarion could sound great for acoustic guitar, trumpet, voiceover and female vox, but so could a Horizon or Oceanus. I'm sure the SE would work fine but i'm not familiar with Sterling or Advance.

What I can assure is that a Lauten mic will not sound like any of those. Whether better or worse is entirely subjective. Our mics have our sound.

Hope this answer your questions above and good luck with your search.
Old 14th April 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
I've owned an Advanced Audio CM 87 I couldn't tell you what they sound like though. I never had mine working correctly and couldn't get it fixed. I've tried the Se but not the Sterling. I do own a Clarion and I can tell you from personal experience it's worth a whole bunch more than what it costs.

PEACE!
Old 14th April 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
KEYBEEETSSS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceactor View Post
I can tell you from personal experience it's worth a whole bunch more than what it costs.

PEACE!
2nd that motion although I own the Oceanus but just saying that I think these mics are Underpriced so hopefully that will help u in wondering whether or not they're worth it
Old 6th May 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Blinddot's Avatar
 

Many thanks to all of you for your opinions (and to bloud for the info).



cheers
Old 6th May 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
2nd that motion although I own the Oceanus but just saying that I think these mics are Underpriced so hopefully that will help u in wondering whether or not they're worth it
+1

Totally liking the Oceanus I have here. Running it through a Great River ME-1NV.
Prior to this I used the Horizon and it too is a great mic for the price.
Lauten Audio don't get the props they deserve. Their support is great as well. When I had an issue with a Horizon, Brian himself contacted me and dealt with the issue in an expeditious and professional manner.
Old 6th May 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
KEYBEEETSSS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Nomad View Post
+1

Totally liking the Oceanus I have here. Running it through a Great River ME-1NV.

Lauten Audio don't get the props they deserve. Their support is great as well. When I had an issue with a Horizon, Brian himself contacted me and dealt with the issue in an expeditious and professional manner.
Man I know that sounds wonderful... & yeah man Brian is a real class A guy; the whole time I was inquiring on the mics I spoke with him & he is really a genuine one, AS ARE THE MICS!!!
Old 7th May 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Nomad View Post
+1
Lauten Audio don't get the props they deserve. Their support is great as well.

There are a lot of people starting to figure it out. Amazing mics fab company.


PEACE!
Old 7th May 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
KEYBEEETSSS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceactor View Post
There are a lot of people starting to figure it out. Amazing mics fab company.


PEACE!
He's rite
Old 30th October 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
rajprods's Avatar
Has anyone used the Clarion on R&B/Pop female vocals? If so, please provide feedback. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothings View Post
the particularly interesting thing about these (for me) is that they have the lowest self noise - 10 dB(a) - that i have seen in any multi-pattern transformer output microphone.

Old 30th October 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
BLueROom's Avatar
 

Got some Torches a while back... awesome mics, awesome customer service!

thumbsup
Old 30th October 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
tapehiss's Avatar
Lauten make some amazing mics.

I have yet to use the Oceanus........ and have no considerable amounts of time spent with the Torches, but the Clarion is a wonderful mic.

The price is just amazing, and the mic (great addition to have a quiet condenser like this in the locker) has a very sonically pleasing sound. It's a little on the dark side, in a a warm pleasant FET way.

I've seen some pictures of Gearslutz moderator James Lugo's studio in which he mics the drums with a pair of Clarions, so I imagine he has much more experience than I with these mics, so you might want to ask him.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Lauten line...... and I think they are still flying under the radar, but I can't think of a single negative thing about their product line.
Old 30th October 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
TheSweetener's Avatar
 

The Clarion has a nice tonality. As someone mentioned it slightly darker the usual modern LDC. Still I found it hard sounding on some vocals (especially loud rock vocals). I recently combined it with my Drawmer 1960 pre (darker than dark ) and the hardness was gone. Still experimenting though, so take this with a grain of salt!
Old 30th October 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
rajprods's Avatar
I've checked around, but haven't found anyone who has used it on female R&B/Pop vocals yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
Lauten make some amazing mics.

I have yet to use the Oceanus........ and have no considerable amounts of time spent with the Torches, but the Clarion is a wonderful mic.

The price is just amazing, and the mic (great addition to have a quiet condenser like this in the locker) has a very sonically pleasing sound. It's a little on the dark side, in a a warm pleasant FET way.

I've seen some pictures of Gearslutz moderator James Lugo's studio in which he mics the drums with a pair of Clarions, so I imagine he has much more experience than I with these mics, so you might want to ask him.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Lauten line...... and I think they are still flying under the radar, but I can't think of a single negative thing about their product line.
Old 12th January 2011
  #18
bee
Lives for gear
 
bee's Avatar
 

Anyone using this outside of a kick and/or bass amp?
Old 12th January 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Anyone using this outside of a kick and/or bass amp?
Just used it on a two male vocalists yesterday. Nothing but good things to say.

I realized that I misinterpreted the word "outside" to mean other than. Anyway, still a great mic!

Last edited by dambro2; 18th January 2011 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: silly English language.
Old 12th January 2011
  #20
Gear Head
 
bloud's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Anyone using this outside of a kick and/or bass amp?
Setup #6 in our Lauten Drum Sessions has a Clarion on outside kick. You can find it here Lauten Audio - Sessions - Drums I've heard from a few customers that have used it there.

Bass amp; some folks love both the Clarion and Horizon there. Right on the grill with a 5 degree off-axis rotation is a good start for something thats not "cranked". 1 to 2 feet off depending on room works also.
Old 18th January 2011
  #21
AB3
Lives for gear
 

Have not tried the Clarion - but have tried the Oceanus - and it is way under-rated. What a killer mic. I sold mine in a crunch and I am trying to figure out how to buy another. What I really should have is a pair for drum overheads.
There is something beautiful about that mic.

I don't know whether to keep on letting people know about how great they are or keep it a secret. I am worried they will raise their prices. But actually, I am not that selfish - I wish their company great success - and I hope they can make enough money to keep it going.

By the way - only complaint on the Oceanus is its weight. I wonder why it is so heavy??? It might be the last item of humankind to survive millions of years from now.
Old 27th April 2011
  #22
bee
Lives for gear
 
bee's Avatar
 

Is the maximum SPL 0.5%[email protected]: 130dB with or without the PAD engaged?
Old 27th April 2011
  #23
TRW
Lives for gear
 
TRW's Avatar
Clarion is an awesome mic, very very impressive with a larger than life character that punches way above its price point when it works on a source, not a do everything mic, but a very good one.

-T
Old 27th April 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
drastic's Avatar
I've had my Clarion for a while now, and it's definitely a keeper. Have used it on outside kick, acoustic, mono room and vocals so far. Thinking of picking up another one and see how they do on OH's.
Old 27th April 2011
  #25
Gear Head
 
bloud's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Is the maximum SPL 0.5%[email protected]: 130dB with or without the PAD engaged?
With PAD engaged.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
E.rOk.stA / High End
9
bloud / Product Alerts older than 2 months
1
Sonic Nomad / Product Alerts older than 2 months
10
Adebar / So Much Gear, So Little Time
3
The Press Desk / So Much Gear, So Little Time
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump