The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracks before eq or mixing Audio Interfaces
Old 17th September 2008
Deleted User
Tracks before eq or mixing

I record with a firestudio project into logic. I this may seem like a stupid question but after i record somthing like drums before i eq compress ect. everything sounds so thin and dull does that mean im doing something wrong or is it sopose to be like that.
Old 17th September 2008
Deleted User
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

I don't really understand the question......

Are you asking if it is normal to EQ and compress AFTER you record? As in, if it was good enough during tracking, you wouldn't have to?

If that is the question.....it is normal. You can track with EQ and compression if you like, or you can do it in the mix.
Old 17th September 2008
Deleted User
I mean if i recorded somthing, before eq or effects its it like normal for it to sound like dull and thin .
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamakid1292 View Post
I mean if i recorded somthing, before eq or effects its it like normal for it to sound like dull and thin .
Totally depends. If you record stuff that is dull or thin, or record things in a way that they sound dull or thin, then yes.

I like to use EQ as little as possible, and prefer subtractive EQing to additive, so I try to record things in a way that sound good with just a fader push.

Maybe look at your sources and micing techniques to see if you can get your raw tracks sounding better.

But after it all, yes, you add EQ and FX to fatten things up and make it all sound good.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Maybe look at your sources and micing techniques to see if you can get your raw tracks sounding better.
as he said. when you record stuff you need to listen to it and place the mic appropriately. often i notice people record with the high pass filter on the mics by default which will really cause a problem for certain instruments.

i always record to get the best most full sound i can and then eq to taste at mix down. it depends though
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Try to be happy with your drum sound before you hit record, don't try to make it "better" later, nothing sucks more than a great recorded performace with inadequote mic placement to begin with. If your overheads are picking up to much highend ring, don't gate it or try to e.q, or compress....move the mic First! Then listen to what's happening.Same with Kick Drum. move the mic in, out, angle it till you like what it's doing.
This works wonders for me, and helps mix the record as you go, plus the performers get more of the "vibe" of the music WHILE they are tracking,because time has been put forth up front instead of latter on the sound, and it REALLY inspires the players to get into the music. Use e.q. or compressors to just fine tune, or tighten up. my .02.
Old 17th September 2008
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Try to be happy with your drum sound before you hit record, don't try to make it "better" later, nothing sucks more than a great recorded performace with inadequote mic placement to begin with. If your overheads are picking up to much highend ring, don't gate it or try to e.q, or compress....move the mic First! Then listen to what's happening.Same with Kick Drum. move the mic in, out, angle it till you like what it's doing.
This works wonders for me, and helps mix the record as you go, plus the performers get more of the "vibe" of the music WHILE they are tracking,because time has been put forth up front instead of latter on the sound, and it REALLY inspires the players to get into the music. Use e.q. or compressors to just fine tune, or tighten up. my .02.
Yea i need to start working with the sound and mic placement more. I usually just place and record but that is beacuse im young and in experianced i guess.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

I don't ever have the luxury of playing around too much with placement... I just go with mics and positions that work 90% of the time for the genre. You can search and maybe find your using the wrong mics or the wrong approach.

I can firmly say that most people are getting their sound at the kit with mics before mix-down. Some people i work with eq and compress on the way in, but they have years of expereince and always take the "do no harm" approach to things on the way into the recording medium.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

I'm willing to bet you are running into phase problems. If you are just throwing up mics and not checking phase relationships between each mic, you will most likely have problems. Look for some threads that discuss phase relationships. I am sure they will help. Good luck!

Ed
Old 18th September 2008
What's your room like?
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

The better something sounds without any manipulation, the better it can eventually sound. If you have good mics and pre's, and you work really hard - compressing, EQ'ing, sample replacing, whatever it takes to polish up that turd - you can get a pretty good sounding result with a less than stellar recording. The band may even think it's great. But it will never be truly outstanding, and it will always sound a little bogus if you listen closely enough. I've been working really hard on all aspects of the situation here in my studio, and, for the first time, someone recently brought in a brand new kit, with new, well tuned heads. I couldn't believe how good it sounded totally raw! You need to optimize the source, the room, your mic's, your mic placement, your pre's, your monitoring, your converters - everything - to make sure it sounds as good as possible before you hit record. Check out the Recorderman technique if you haven't already.

For those drummers whose kick sounds like a hammer hitting a sack of mud, well, that's why god made Drumagog, and I am truly thankful for that!
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I too have had this problem. For me a 57 on snare always baffled me of why it sounded so dull and akward. I would encourage you in the way that, drums tend to sound a bit dull, and it's because alot of the "sound" IMO is from the overheads. So a snare and toms may sound bad solo'ed except that that is what is needed to pair up with the overheads when it's all said and done. the compression and eq does make a world of difference, but you ahve to know that you have a good starting point. If you don't then it's just a challenge. Try to focus on the tones your getting. Stay away from making things too brittle just to make them clear. A drumset has a ton of highs when in person. Focus more on the overheads, or try adding a couple of inches from the heads and the mics on each drum...take away some of the proximity effect.

That's what I would suggest. Feel free to PM me anytime. I'm a drummer, and like to say that the drums is what makes my work noticable and worth paying me for. If it helps a Cd I'm pretty happy with is the "American Sun" by Maida Vale. You can find it on iTunes and scan through the songs. I used pretty standard stuff for the kit, let me know if there's anything I can elaborate on.

PS how do you like that Firestudio? I'm thinking of getting one. Do you have the remote for it and do you like it?

Be Inspired,
Ryan
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I think if during tracking, if you're unhappy with the sound, you should at least try to make it better. Try different mics, different rooms, different mic placements/angles/distances, mattresses/heavy blankets/absorbers on walls, etc. It'll never be perfect, but try to get closer to your goal at the source, I think.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search