The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMS RMX-16
Old 13th March 2003
Here for the gear

AMS RMX-16

Hi. I just had the seemingly good fortune to borrow with the option of buying one of these units.

I used it for a mixing session yesterday and both the artist and I were stunned by how much sweeter and more useful it was than the PCM90.......suddenly the whole mix fell into place without sounding overly reverbed- very natural and dense-sounding.

I know these are old, rare, etc......I guess my question is is there another unit I should be considering in the $3000-$3500 range (also is this a fair price)......as a main reverb unit. I was amazed at the usefulness of this box compared to any reverb I've ever heard- and I had no expectations......it's real.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th March 2003
In the UK they go for about £1,500 but a fair bit more in the USA.

Like all AMS gear, they are fragile and crap out every now & then (no too often)

I am hooked on the Ambience program "2"

The fan makes a fair bit of noise IMHO.
Old 13th March 2003
Re: AMS RMX-16

Quote:
Originally posted by reno x
Hi. I just had the seemingly good fortune to borrow with the option of buying one of these units.

I used it for a mixing session yesterday and both the artist and I were stunned by how much sweeter and more useful it was than the PCM90.......suddenly the whole mix fell into place without sounding overly reverbed- very natural and dense-sounding.

I know these are old, rare, etc......I guess my question is is there another unit I should be considering in the $3000-$3500 range (also is this a fair price)......as a main reverb unit. I was amazed at the usefulness of this box compared to any reverb I've ever heard- and I had no expectations......it's real.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

The AMS RMX-16 and AMS1580S are classics!!

The sound is on tons of records in the 80's and mid 90's(and Jules stuff also).

I think if you look around(Ebay sometimes) you can get it for as low as $2K. Funky Junk just sent me a list and they have both for 1500 pounds.

You can't get that sound anywhere. Sorry.

There is something special about how reverbs were designed before all this new technology. The scientists had to work around the limitations and they developed their reverb algo's with care. Look at the Quantec or the EMT 250, the Lexicon 480L,Yamaha Rev 1,Roland R880,K&T 760 and others of that time. All of these are still being used on major mixes today(I know I do).

A great reverb for that price?

Some guys are really digging the KSP-8. The new TC looks cool(M4000).

There is always the Altiverb(sampling reverb). I believe thay have RMX-16 presets.
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

ditto what Thrill said...

AMS is one of my all time fave verb boxes and im more of a 'dry white toast' type of guy!

Chuck in an EMT valve plate in GOOD working order and properly tuned and u have an excellent array of verbs. I never was one for the lex verbs even tho theya re quite nice, Tc falls inthe same boat for me to.

Nice rooms to mic up as well never go astray!
DMX delay is THE FREAKING chess for delays.. FAT nice and chunky all your favourite superlatives cant describe this and an RMX.. All regular lsutz need to own or at least experinece the AMS sometime in their life..

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
In the UK they go for about £1,500 but a fair bit more in the USA.

Like all AMS gear, they are fragile and crap out every now & then (no too often)

I am hooked on the Ambience program "2"

The fan makes a fair bit of noise IMHO.
True dat. They crap out. True dat, Ambience kicks ayeholes. The Ambience setting blends awesome with the "SilicaBeads" preset on the 480L for vocals.
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

These things are selling for that much still? I thought the price would have dropped. I am never going to be able to get Cetera-tone! Funk-dat!
Old 13th March 2003
I had a Kurzweil KSP8 demo at my place so grabbed some of the 480 sound on the L vox, I am using that and the AMS RMX!

on the nail e-cue!

Old 13th March 2003
Gear Nut

The AMS-RMX has some magic for it's ambience program... Anyone have comments on the AMS-DMX???

It seems to be still in use to get a touch of smear (tiny picth shift up and down) on things like vocals and guitars. Is this a unique AMS-DMX sound, or can other boxes (like the KSP-8, Eventide stuff, TC 6000) cover enough of AMS-DMX sound and then some.

I've got a line on one, and haven't spent the time to dig out of the guy to use it...
Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

UAD is coming out with this as a plugin very soon...and I'm sure it will sound great!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...e-ams_neve.jpg
Old 20th February 2018
2018 Bump - how about these days? I'm curious if folks still like the KSP8 still too? Any of this stuff head and shoulders above plugin verbs? Especially now that D/A conversion is everything (where the sound is essentially obliterated), makes me wonder if it's worth leaving the box to get an outboard verb...
📝 Reply