The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is UA 6176 a fake ???
Old 15th September 2008 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
Well...I agree that Allison Kraus does sound amazing....however she will sound amazing through any chain. Believe that. In My experience vocals were the 6176 best friend however, for what it actually did (for me) was totally not worth the money. I am into going for specific sounds when tracking, so maybe I have different expectations of what a piece of gear should do. I'm not discounting your experience with it. I just can't get it to do anything I really like.

Nick
That makes total sense. I personally like to spend a lot of time trying many different signal chains and take time to set them up so I am tracking them pretty much how I want them in the mix (or VERY close). Of course this doesnt work for every project but I really prefer to work this way when possible. It helps me when making other decisions in the tracking process and also avoids more conversions during the mix stage. It has come back to bite me in the ass in the past but I have bcome much more conservative with my compression settings since! I find the 6176 works best when used this way.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
That makes total sense. I personally like to spend a lot of time trying many different signal chains and take time to set them up so I am tracking them pretty much how I want them in the mix (or VERY close). Of course this doesnt work for every project but I really prefer to work this way when possible. It helps me when making other decisions in the tracking process and also avoids more conversions during the mix stage. It has come back to bite me in the ass in the past but I have bcome much more conservative with my compression settings since! I find the 6176 works best when used this way.
Hmmm... Good post also.

I would like to think that I know exactly where my sound is gonna be when I'm in mix. That's often not happening. I could have a signal chain in mind when I'm tracking but I don't print it. Maybe I'm a covard but I prefer to keep my options open! Best to you all!!!

//Jamzone
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisc View Post
My difference between an anemic sound and a dynamic sound is huge . That's why a stupid band sounds amazing in a fantastic studio . Everybody agrees with me until tomorrow morning when everything's started from zero again...

Ultra gain clear dynamic limiter is the women that should be loved . A difference between a studio live and a studio mixing is HUGE .

What happens if you record a stupid band in a clever studio, but with not so bright engineer? I tried this once and it sounded really bad, but then I tried apogee converters and it was much better. Could it be my Fireface?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
What happens if you record a stupid band in a clever studio, but with not so bright engineer? I tried this once and it sounded really bad, but then I tried apogee converters and it was much less better. Could it be my Fireface?
Fireface is much more than ok . It's not Lexus but it is probably Mercedes... Here is the level where the difference is meaningful ...
Gear Nut

I'm hesitant to even add anything to this thread, but...I had a bad tube in my 6176, which produced typical sputtery noises, etc. When I went to replace it, I was kind of bummed to find a really crappy 12AX7 that was stock. Oh well, it's much better now, so maybe this could be a problem, especially with folks who might not know what a bad tube sounds like...Anyway, the noise went away, and I like the sound of the pre better as well.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
What happens if you record a stupid band in a clever studio, but with not so bright engineer? I tried this once and it sounded really bad, but then I tried apogee converters and it was much better. Could it be my Fireface?

I hope you don't mind....but this is going to be my new signature. ROFL heh
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
I hope you don't mind....but this is going to be my new signature. ROFL heh
Be my guest!heh
Old 6th October 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Correct me if I am wrong!!!

i won´t correct you, i just have my point after testing and testing and testing.

i would never say UA hardware is BS or unusable. sure it sounds good and is higher quality. but have you ever wondered, why old records have that real-warm-vintage sound? it´s not the pre alone, but UA/Avalon/... pres are class-a tube-design. you can´t compare this curcuit with old tube-consoles. you can´t compare reissue LA2As with old ones.

i did not and would not say or think UA is s*it. they´re definitely not, get me correct here.

i used LA-610, 2-610s, 6176 and vt737 for years as assistant and i liked them cause of the lack that there´s more to come. beside others i got thermionic culture stuff some weeks ago and it´s sound is not esoteric, it´s a fact. i´m getting a vt-2 and an EAR824 in the short future and i´m expecting the same sound-level as THC. if i can afford it, i´ll invest into a 12-channel tube-setup in the next couple of weeks. fingers crossed.

my opinion has nothing to do with recording/mixing-skills and results/success.

just try those out, compare them to UA-stuff and tell me i´m wrong when i say "it´s more expensive, but hell, it sounds fu*kin amazing!"
Old 6th October 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
i won´t correct you, i just have my point after testing and testing and testing.

i would never say UA hardware is BS or unusable. sure it sounds good and is higher quality. but have you ever wondered, why old records have that real-warm-vintage sound? it´s not the pre alone, but UA/Avalon/... pres are class-a tube-design. you can´t compare this curcuit with old tube-consoles. you can´t compare reissue LA2As with old ones.

i did not and would not say or think UA is s*it. they´re definitely not, get me correct here.

i used LA-610, 2-610s, 6176 and vt737 for years as assistant and i liked them cause of the lack that there´s more to come. beside others i got thermionic culture stuff some weeks ago and it´s sound is not esoteric, it´s a fact. i´m getting a vt-2 and an EAR824 in the short future and i´m expecting the same sound-level as THC. if i can afford it, i´ll invest into a 12-channel tube-setup in the next couple of weeks. fingers crossed.

my opinion has nothing to do with recording/mixing-skills and results/success.

just try those out, compare them to UA-stuff and tell me i´m wrong when i say "it´s more expensive, but hell, it sounds fu*kin amazing!"

Thermionic stuff used by Chemical Brothers , Prodigy , Groove Armada , Depeche Mode , Nine Inch Nails or U2 means a lot for me . It's the real stuff I think . UA is not bad but I want a little bit more groove .
Old 23rd December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

but the 610 pre really sounds great on Di guitar !
Old 23rd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisc View Post
Thermionic stuff used by Chemical Brothers , Prodigy , Groove Armada , Depeche Mode , Nine Inch Nails or U2 means a lot for me . It's the real stuff I think . UA is not bad but I want a little bit more groove .
I think , if you are indeed serious about this whole thing and I'm assuming you are that. You have bought the wrong piece of gear. You want groove, now I'm thinking laterally here, but bare with me. There's enough of a level going into a standard 1176 to, probably, run a keyboard off a l balanced line into it as in effect, a DI? That would mean you could use the old "4 button push" trick and really make a bass synth sound *pump*, ie the groove you are seeking?

I'm not sure, cos I've never used one, whether the channel strip can do this trick. Looking at the fascia, I can't see any facility for it. I suspect, you'd be better off with a pair of 1176s and the commensurate *stereo adapter box* and sticking your synths through them.
📝 Reply