The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
London/Paris/Berlin - So much to see - so little time! Your recommendations?
Old 12th March 2003
London/Paris/Berlin - So much to see - so little time! Your recommendations?

Warning European residents - my close friends and I are attending the ATP festival in East Sussex. The week preceding it - we'll be taking in London (the first time for most of us). Before that - Paris for four days - and before that Berlin for four days.

What should we do?
Where should we go?
What do we eat & drink?
What should we avoid ?

Residents of these fine cities - please advise.

We love music, art and food......and GEAR..
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Berlin

For Art: check out the 'Tachelles' in east Berlin, it's a quarter of the first ever made conkrete stone warehouse, and when they (former GDR) tried to tear it down, they basically gave up on this still existing bit. Anyway, it's full of alternative atelliers on all floors, and a great pup on the groundfloor. But check out the 'balcony' bar under the roof, kind of open air, as well - very Berlin!!
For Food: you get great and cheap turkish and libanese food all over the place- a 'must have' in Berlin- enjoy!!!
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Maniac

London

ummm, I forgot, I live in London myself, but i'm sure Jules, Steve or bevyb happily give you some advice about London ...
Old 12th March 2003
What is the ATP?

Berlin (lived there for 2 years)

Er... I bet a lot has changed. What Robert said

What should we do?

Where should we go?

bar hop in - Mitte, Kreutzburg, Prinzlowenburg, charlotenburg

What do we eat & drink?

felaffle, Mini pizza, "Curry wurst & pommes" all when a little drunk. See if the Alsace restaurant the "Storsch: (stork = bird) is still open) Bratkortoflen (fried potatoes) Draft beer, like Pils Urquell, Budvar etc. Try a Kolsch beer (from Cologne) Hefer Weisen beer (wheat beer) Go to the 'Carioca' for breakfast (near Kudam) you might find Klaus from ADAM having his there!

What should we avoid
Anyone wearing a mullet haircut and stonewashed, faded tight jeans.

-----------------------

London

What should we do?

Call me when you arrive & Buy "Time Out" magazine at the airport (or in a big magazine store in the US) its the coolest what's on guide. Go through it carefully.

Buy "travel cards" Zones 1.2 &3

Where should we go?

A lot of the monuments are in Westminster, Buck House, Parliament, Big Ben, T square. Walk across one of the bridges on the Thames, "Embankment" will do. Stand in the middle, look left, look right. Then you have really SEEN London!

The Imperial War Museum is v cool (for Boys) the V&A museum is also cool (for girls)

Go to Harrods! Especially the Food hall!

What do we eat & drink?

Chinese food, Indian food, Soho is the place!

What should we avoid

The tube, Take a bus when you can (see more!)

Going through your wallet on the street, usual urban stuff.

with service included, only tip a bit more if the service was good (I make it up to 15%) No tipping in Pubs...

Expect some anti Bush / anti war sentiment in conversations. Dont confuse this with wholesale "America bashing" although it might feel like it. It is merely American foreign policy bashing. If you show concern about a possible WW3 starting, you will fit right in!

I have PMed you my number.

BTW if youre here on the 18th of March see the Fletcher in London thread!
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

Londinium

The Tate Modern is great and the London Eye (calm ferris wheel that gives views of the city).
Old 12th March 2003
Quote:
What is the ATP?
All Tomorrow's Parties
The concept is that the organizers pick one artist - and then that artist picks the rest of the artists!

The 'host' artist at the April 2003 UK ATP is Autechre.

ATP festival lineup / link

Quote:
Expect some anti Bush / anti war sentiment in conversations. Dont confuse this with wholesale "America bashing" although it might feel like it. It is merely American foreign policy bashing. If you show concern about a possible WW3 starting, you will fit right in!
The joke around here is usually "just pretend you are canadian". But we're not sure if we want to just look stupid instead of arrogant, uncultured and corrupt! (that's a joke).

I hardly know of anyone around here that thinks this the Bush Administration isn't scary and wrong. However, there is also no illusion around here that what we can stop them (at least not until election 2004).

The travel advice is great - keep it up.
Don't let the previous comments change the subject !!!

and Thanks Jules! I knew you'd chime in as soon as you got into the office (I'm still bouncing rough mixes "last night").
Old 12th March 2003
Quote:
BTW if youre here on the 18th of March see the Fletcher in London thread!
Saw it - but Nope - not in London until March 30th.

Kent - got the PM thanks!

Itinerary :
Fly from Seattle Mar 20th
Arrive Copenhagen and connect to Berlin Mar 21st
Berlin Mar21 -> Mar 26
Paris Mar26 -> Mar 30
London Mar30->Apr4
East Sussex Apr 4->7
Fly from London to Seattle April 8
Old 12th March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

PM or email me for the Paris leg...
Old 12th March 2003
member no 666

Re: London/Paris/Berlin - So much to see - so little time! Your recommendations?

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
What should we do?
Get drunk and find hookers

Quote:
Where should we go?
Where you can get drunk and find hookers

Quote:
What do we eat & drink?
What ever they have near the best bars that have hookers

Quote:
What should we avoid ?
Fat/ugly hookers that have the crabs.
Old 13th March 2003
Mindreader

I wish Fletcher had told me that before I moved here 17 years ago.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear