The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ambience Reverb (Magnus/Smartelectronix) Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Ambience Reverb (Magnus/Smartelectronix)

i've been auditioning a bunch of reverb plugins lately. i've tried CSR, Breverb, AAR, EasyVerb, and a few others. CPU conservation is very important to me.

the clear winner in my opinion is Breverb. it sounds great, and uses very little CPU. but i have to say, second place goes to Ambience by Magnus at Smartelectronics. not only is it donationware, but it sounds great and has a convenient "Quality" slider to conserve CPU. anyone out there love this thing? if you're looking for a cheap/good reverb, check it out:

Magnus' plugins

anyone ever design a GUI for it?
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

oh, i'm aware there is a GUI for the VST version...i should have noted that i'm using DP, so i was wondering about an AU GUI.
Old 11th September 2008
js1
Lives for gear

Yeah, Steinberg created a GUI for it - my understanding is that Ambience is the engine for their main reverb in Cubase 4.

js
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

huh, that's interesting...
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 View Post
Yeah, Steinberg created a GUI for it - my understanding is that Ambience is the engine for their main reverb in Cubase 4.

js
really?

i love breverb too, as far as native & algorithmic reverbs go it's probably the better of all - though it is supposedly on par with CSR
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Magnus Ambiance was my favorite for a while when I was trying to convince myself that software verb would be ok.

The acid test for most software verbs is to hit them with something percussive, like a side stick. Most of them blow chunks.

Also, if mono compatibility is important to you (and it should be), software verbs often let you down badly. For some reason, this seems to be one of the secrets that the good hardware verbs get right: they sound great in mono, and better in stereo. Plugins tend to sound ok in stereo, and turn to **** in mono.

Convolution reverb (you have got SIR, haven't you?) can give you a taste of good reverb. Provided you have good impulse samples that haven't been truncated too much.

The Kjaerus freebie is a bit vanilla, but surprisingly useful even compared to the expensive ones. It can do small rooms and ambiances rather well. You can combine with modulation plugins if you want 'that' sound, and you can combine with various other verbs or delays for more complex tails or ER's.

I'm much happier with my Bricasti M7 now - a bit indulgent, but very satisfying in comparison.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Yes.. Ambience is an old fav... and I still use it from time to time. The snare room presets are cool for a lot of short verb fx. Overall the plug is very tweakable ... and can work well in a mix.

My fav ITB verb is still the UAD Plate...

Will have to check out Breverb.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
The Kjaerus freebie is a bit vanilla, but surprisingly useful even compared to the expensive ones.
the Kjaerhus stuff looks cool, but it's not available for mac...what's that about?
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
Convolution reverb (you have got SIR, haven't you?) can give you a taste of good reverb. Provided you have good impulse samples that haven't been truncated too much.
A convolution reverb done right and loaded with great samples is hard to beat. Not a slag on SIR, but more so to the ****ty, home-made IR files you'll be downloading free off the net for it.

Try out the demo for Altiverb. It's pricey, but blows Ambience away and uses equal or less CPU usage (depending on the IR file you load).
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

just starting playing with convolution as well...(SonicBirth plug with various IRs from the net)

here is a snippet of what i'm playing with. one is a Ambience preset i made, and the other is an impulse response from EchoChamber (24bit VSS3 Long Warm Hall). which do you like prefer?:

http://www.thebrotherkite.com/stuff/a.aif
http://www.thebrotherkite.com/stuff/b.aif
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto3jon View Post
just starting playing with convolution as well...(SonicBirth plug with various IRs from the net)

here is a snippet of what i'm playing with. one is a Ambience preset i made, and the other is an impulse response from EchoChamber (24bit VSS3 Long Warm Hall). which do you like prefer?:

http://www.thebrotherkite.com/stuff/a.aif
http://www.thebrotherkite.com/stuff/b.aif
for this particular sound i would much prefer b.aif - the return would need to be EQ'd a bit though
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear
Old thread, but quick question regarding Ambience. I can add it to a stereo track in Logic Pro X, but not a mono track such as a vocal. When I try to add it, it is missing from the list of available plug ins. Is this normal?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search