The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Aurora 8 LSLOT ADAT question
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Lynx Aurora 8 LSLOT ADAT question

I looked around gearslutz, the Lynx website, the manuals for the Aurora and the ADAT card and on the internet, but couldn't find a direct and satisfactory answer to my question, yet I still feel a little dense about asking it.

On the Aurora 8, will the ADAT pass 8 channels of 96k, or will it only pass 4 channels of 96k? The manuals only really seem to address the Aurora 16 so I'm not getting a clear picture, nowhere do they say specifically the Aurora 8 passes 8 channels at 44.1/48k and x channels at 88.2/96k. I would imagine at 96k it requires ADAT port 1 for channels 1-4 and port 2 for channels 5-8.

I can't test this, because at this point my RME card only has 1 ADAT port, but I was considering getting a card with 2 ADAT ports (ala the Fireface 800). If the Aurora 8 can't do 8 channels at 96k over ADAT I'll likely just get a card with AES.

Thanks for shedding any light on this.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Still need the help. bump.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

That is fact. The limitations of ADAT lightpipe say that 4 tracks at 96K is the max, or 8 tracks at 48. This isn't a lynx issue, it's just a traid of ADAT.

Neil
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishsixstringe View Post
That is fact. The limitations of ADAT lightpipe say that 4 tracks at 96K is the max, or 8 tracks at 48. This isn't a lynx issue, it's just a traid of ADAT.

Neil
Yeah it's due to S/MUX limitations, however, I have two ADAT ports on the Lynx, so I was wondering if the Aurora 8 would pass 8 channels at 96k, or if only the Aurora 16 passes 8 channels at 96k (4 channels per ADAT port).

Maybe a better way to ask this is: Does the Aurora 8 only use ADAT port 1? Or does it use ADAT port 2 in S/MUX mode?
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia_nb View Post
Yeah it's due to S/MUX limitations, however, I have two ADAT ports on the Lynx, so I was wondering if the Aurora 8 would pass 8 channels at 96k, or if only the Aurora 16 passes 8 channels at 96k (4 channels per ADAT port).

Maybe a better way to ask this is: Does the Aurora 8 only use ADAT port 1? Or does it use ADAT port 2 in S/MUX mode?
it's a srsly dumb oversight on their part if it won't.

if it supports smux then chances are it will send 8 tracks at 96k via both adat ports. i can't see this not being offered on a $2k converter that has 2 sets of adat ports (if you have the expansion card)...

did you email lynx directly? if so please post your answer here when they reply.

or check with these folks:

Lynx Studio*-*Lynx Aurora 8 - Pro Audio Sales - AudioLot - 888-224-3343
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
it's a srsly dumb oversight on their part if it won't.

if it supports smux then chances are it will send 8 tracks at 96k via both adat ports. i can't see this not being offered on a $2k converter that has 2 sets of adat ports (if you have the expansion card)...

did you email lynx directly? if so please post your answer here when they reply.

or check with these folks:

Lynx Studio*-*Lynx Aurora 8 - Pro Audio Sales - AudioLot - 888-224-3343
that's funny you recommend AudioLot as I was hoping kittonian would chip in as I see him giving advice on the Aurora converters all the time.
Lynx only offers an email for sales, not tech support, so maybe I'll try the forums and I will most definitely report back here, it would be nice to have this issue addressed for future users.
thanks.
Old 11th September 2008
Quote:
that's funny you recommend AudioLot as I was hoping kittonian would chip in as I see him giving advice on the Aurora converters all the time.
Lynx only offers an email for sales, not tech support, so maybe I'll try the forums and I will most definitely report back here, it would be nice to have this issue addressed for future users.
thanks.
I'm happy to answer your question, but you can always pickup the phone and reach me directly as well. Also, Lynx does provide phone numbers on their website for both sales and customer support. Here it is again just in case you need it in the future.

Customer Support: 714-545-4700 x206

With regards to your question, here's the info directly from the LT-ADAT product page on the Lynx website.

The LT-ADAT adds up to 16 Lightpipe inputs and outputs to Aurora's already powerful I/O capabilities. LT-ADAT is an LSlot device for Lynx Aurora 8 and Aurora 16 converters that adds up to 16 channels of high-performance ADAT Lightpipe input and output. The LT-ADAT is a full-function ADAT interface that provides two ADAT Lightpipe inputs and two outputs. Operating at a sample rate of 48 kHz, the LT-ADAT I/O channel capacity is 16. Higher sample rates are supported using S/MUX technology: 8 channels at 96 kHz and 4 channels at 192 kHz.

On the Aurora16 you would utilize both channels of i/o on the LT-ADAT to obtain 8 channels at 96khz or 4 channels at 192khz. However, being that it's still S/MUX on the Aurora8 you would only be using the 1st i/o channels (the 2nd ones don't mean anything when the LT-ADAT is installed in an Aurora8). This means that you will only get up to 4 channels at 96khz or 2 channels at 192khz. It's always half of the analog i/o.

Hope that clears things up. The better bet is to get an AES16 card and use DSUB cables to go to/from the computer and the Aurora16. That way you get all 16 channels of analog i/o up to 192khz. Likewise on an Aurora8 you would get 8 channels analog i/o up to 192khz.

Piece of cake to setup and use and back before I switched to PT|HD I used that exact setup myself (even used the AES16 when I was running Prism and Apogee converters prior to switching to the Aurora).

Hope that helps!
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
On the Aurora16 you would utilize both channels of i/o on the LT-ADAT to obtain 8 channels at 96khz or 4 channels at 192khz. However, being that it's still S/MUX on the Aurora8 you would only be using the 1st i/o channels (the 2nd ones don't mean anything when the LT-ADAT is installed in an Aurora8). This means that you will only get up to 4 channels at 96khz or 2 channels at 192khz. It's always half of the analog i/o.
That does help a lot, thanks!
Unfortunately it's not the answer I was hoping to get...
That's kind of sad they won't let us utilize the full 8 channels at 96k, but since the Aurora 8 ignores ADAT port 2 there's nothing doing to change that... oh well. Guess I will be looking into AES options when I upgrade my computer away from the PCI slots I have now. I may integrate it into a PT HD3 system eventually and that has support for AES via a Dsub cable on the Digi192.
Thanks again!
Old 12th September 2008
Quote:
That does help a lot, thanks!
Unfortunately it's not the answer I was hoping to get...
That's kind of sad they won't let us utilize the full 8 channels at 96k, but since the Aurora 8 ignores ADAT port 2 there's nothing doing to change that... oh well. Guess I will be looking into AES options when I upgrade my computer away from the PCI slots I have now. I may integrate it into a PT HD3 system eventually and that has support for AES via a Dsub cable on the Digi192.
Thanks again!
If you're going to be purchasing an HD|3 rig why would you go with a 192 instead of an Aurora16 with the LT-HD card? That'll give you 16x16 analog AND 16x16 AES/EBU digital up to 192khz and you don't need a Digi interface at all.

If you wanted something in the meantime, you could always get an Aurora16 with the AES16 card, and then when you make the move to PT|HD you just sell the AES16 and grab an LT-HD and pop it in the LSlot.
Old 12th September 2008
SRS
Lives for gear

Just as a side note... Lynx is supposed to be coming out with a firmware upgrade that will allow the ADAT channels to operate in addition to the AES port channels. This would effectively make an Aurora 8 a 16 A/D D/A device at 44.1 or 48k. At 96k, I would assume it would allow the normal 8 channels and then 4 additional via ADAT by S/Mux, making it a 12 channel device at 96k.

I hope I understand all this correctly. I am sure Joshua will chime in if not, and maybe even if so...
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
. However, being that it's still S/MUX on the Aurora8 you would only be using the 1st i/o channels (the 2nd ones don't mean anything when the LT-ADAT is installed in an Aurora8). This means that you will only get up to 4 channels at 96khz or 2 channels at 192khz. It's always half of the analog i/o.
that's a drag. i was thinking of adding something like the aurora 8 to my FF800 to get 8 more channels of 24/96 via those 2 sets of adat i/o but $2k+ for 4 channels over adat is a little silly.

i can't believe they designed it to ignore the 2nd adat port. i'm sure there is some perfectly good reason for that but i think it's dumb.
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you're going to be purchasing an HD|3 rig why would you go with a 192 instead of an Aurora16 with the LT-HD card? That'll give you 16x16 analog AND 16x16 AES/EBU digital up to 192khz and you don't need a Digi interface at all.

If you wanted something in the meantime, you could always get an Aurora16 with the AES16 card, and then when you make the move to PT|HD you just sell the AES16 and grab an LT-HD and pop it in the LSlot.
My friend already owns a brand new HD3 system with the 192 so we're just integrating our setups together which should actually be pretty sweet. I really wanted an Aurora 16, but I also wanted to spend some extra money on some Adam monitors for the 5.1 system, which is why I am really concerned about getting 8 eight channels at 96k.
I thought my Rosetta 800 had two ADAT ports for 8 channels at 96k, so it surprises me Lynx overlooked this. I have to say I prefer the Aurora to the Rosetta though. I have used an Apogee PSX-100 and Mytek Stereo 96s and I find that the Aurora compares more favorably to the Mytek and PSX sound, less punch than the Rosetta, but ultimately more clarity and less color.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 12th September 2008
Quote:
My friend already owns a brand new HD3 system with the 192 so we're just integrating our setups together which should actually be pretty sweet. I really wanted an Aurora 16, but I also wanted to spend some extra money on some Adam monitors for the 5.1 system, which is why I am really concerned about getting 8 eight channels at 96k.
I thought my Rosetta 800 had two ADAT ports for 8 channels at 96k, so it surprises me Lynx overlooked this. I have to say I prefer the Aurora to the Rosetta though. I have used an Apogee PSX-100 and Mytek Stereo 96s and I find that the Aurora compares more favorably to the Mytek and PSX sound, less punch than the Rosetta, but ultimately more clarity and less color.
Thanks again for your help.
That's no problem either. The LT-HD card works in the Aurora8 too. You get 8x8 analog AND 8x8 AES/EBU up to 192khz. Just plug it into one of the cards and you're up and running. Don't daisy chain the Lynx off the 192 or you won't be sample accurate to PT|HD's delay compensation.
Old 13th September 2008
SRS
Lives for gear

Slight thread hijack... Hey Joshua, have you heard about or know anything about the fact of having the LT-ADAT ports being able to be used individually and add to the I/O count on the Aurora units?
Old 13th September 2008
I have to apologize for the mis-information. Yesterday when I responded regarding how many channels of S/MUX ADAT at 96k, I did so after calling Lynx and verifying the answer. Unfortunately, the answer I received was incorrect and even after responding I felt that something wasn't right about it.

Anyway, turns out that my instincts were correct and the right answer is yes, you can use both channels on the LT-ADAT to achieve 8 channels at 96k on both the Aurora8 and the Aurora16. 4 channels at 192k.

The only difference is if you are working at 44.1 or 48k, the Aurora8 will obviously only provide 8 channels of ADAT i/o and thus you would only be using the 1st ADAT i/o (the second one wouldn't do anything).

So, all in all, good news. Glad I followed up and really thought about this one. I learned something too. Again, my apologies for posting the wrong answer yesterday, but when you're told the answer from Lynx you tend to go with what you're told.
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Slight thread hijack... Hey Joshua, have you heard about or know anything about the fact of having the LT-ADAT ports being able to be used individually and add to the I/O count on the Aurora units?
I don't believe this is possible as I'm guessing you're talking about daisy chaining another interface off the ADAT ports and having more channels of i/o, all interfacing through the Aurora. However, I have not tried this as I don't use the LT-ADAT card so I don't know for sure.

My best guess is no as I believe the LT-ADAT simply adds ADAT Lightpipe capabilities to the interface, not more channels. I would be happy to check with Lynx on Monday and find out for you, or you could send them an e-mail and ask.
Old 13th September 2008
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't believe this is possible as I'm guessing you're talking about daisy chaining another interface off the ADAT ports and having more channels of i/o, all interfacing through the Aurora. However, I have not tried this as I don't use the LT-ADAT card so I don't know for sure.

My best guess is no as I believe the LT-ADAT simply adds ADAT Lightpipe capabilities to the interface, not more channels. I would be happy to check with Lynx on Monday and find out for you, or you could send them an e-mail and ask.
That's OK. Thanks for the offer Joshua. I posted on their forum and Paul from Lynx responded back this evening with... "Sorry, this is still in the works. It's not likely to be done before the year's end." So it is in the works, and it is supposed to actually add channels to the existing on the Aurora units. Especially helpful if you have an Aurora 8 and then with the ADAT ports, you can get a significant channel boost. But I guess we will have to wait a while longer.
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyway, turns out that my instincts were correct and the right answer is yes, you can use both channels on the LT-ADAT to achieve 8 channels at 96k on both the Aurora8 and the Aurora16. 4 channels at 192k.
Thanks! I also got a followup on their support forum here: Lynx Support Forum: Lynx Aurora 8 L-SLOT ADAT question
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Paul at lynx told me this about the LTadat + aurora8:

"The Aurora 8 will use both ports of the LT-ADAT when operating at 88.2/96k -
so you will still get 8-channels of AD/DA conversion through ADAT lightpipe."

that's good news

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search