The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
probably the most analog plug in i've ever heard Dynamics Plugins
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear
probably the most analog plug in i've ever heard

sugar bytes vogue.
a channel strip with gate, PREAMP, comp, dynamic eq, effects.

well..

the preamp is wonderful.. gives really the sensation you feel when you put a guitar in a amp and turn up the gain, or in a studio pre, the sensation that you turn up the volume until a sweet range where you hear great volume changes actually in a small amount of db (i mean that you hear a 0.3 as a db for instance..) and you can push it in a really pleasant way.

usually the problem with plug ins is that you really have to use them in a gentle way because distortions happen quickly.. with this, ok you can distort whatever you want, but in a certain range you can push it without hear muddiness in the mids, or losing definition, you really hear these transient become sweet and soft.

than there is an overdrive if you want some vintage tone.. then there is the compressor.. the easier compressor i've seen.. threshold.. speed...... then there is the dynamic eq... now a question.. how many easy dynamic eq have you ever seen? well.. this is the easier.. and WORKS.

i haven't use the effect section and the gate, so i can't say anything about that.. but... there is the MASTER.. that is a fader... and you can push it hard.. really hard.. and the sound become BIG.. so BIG.

well try it and say me what do you think..

i've tried it as one of the tons of plug ins that maybe have some nice spot, feature.. and never imagine to find something like that in something other than hardware pricey channel strip.

you need also another eq to really cut the sound you like, and another comp if you want find that punchy attack/release settings that works great on drums, that makes an aggressive sound or a more "humanized" movement... this comp, this dynamic eq, and all the channel strip is designed to achieve WARMTH.. yes you can make the comp pumping, but in a different way
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

demoing this right now. i like!
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

interesting i have demoed it and I think it is sounding horrible
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
sugar bytes vogue.
a channel strip with gate, PREAMP, comp, dynamic eq, effects.

well..

the preamp is wonderful.. gives really the sensation you feel when you put a guitar in a amp and turn up the gain, or in a studio pre, the sensation that you turn up the volume until a sweet range where you hear great volume changes actually in a small amount of db (i mean that you hear a 0.3 as a db for instance..) and you can push it in a really pleasant way.

y
I havnt tried it but I know what your talking about and I wonder why so many ME's dont demand the power section emulation of their plugins

So many people raved about the URS console pro with its totally hack, almost joke like, input section. Input my arse

The hardest sound to get right in modeling is a guitar amp--yet it was the very first thing ever modeled with some success. This tech is over 10 years old and the plugin makers still have no idea what the guitar modeling guys have done

UAD's Nigel is total crap so obviously they dont have it down enough to add input saturation to their plugins.

This is a real big piece of the puzzle that is missing because you can feel and hear the sense that the plugin has no power--it just floats on air--so to speak--with no weight to it. I wanna hear that Dooooof sound when I engage the plugin..haha

I want the input to drive the unit. What I dont want is some kiddie impulse system in front that is just an eq. But you know what?...its not coming soon because people just rave and rave about these perfect emulations when they are Not. If the bigwigs let the companies know that they missing a vital area and they will not be satified until it arrives maybe the designers would stop cheating and claiming they have nailed it

BTW..Samplitude has a preamp with a drive section and can feel the weight to the signal.(in their analog suite)
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

Agreed, input sections are lacking. You don't get the feel of even a cheap mixer. It's a totally different sound. Not bad or good, just different, but plugs are cheap and you can put them across a bunch of tracks a lot easier than hardware (with recall) so I too am waiting for this advance.
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

I really enjoy using the the PSP sQuad plugs, the classic Q and the preQursor are really sweet on lots of stuff. I totally know what you mean about the input section on the urs. Its not exactly rocked my world I find it useful sometimes on the guitar buss for a little bit of extra bite with the 'iron D' mode, but certainly aint the holy grail. Tube 1 & 2 modes can beef things up quite nicely but they sure as hell dont sound like real valves to me. I find the compressor section immensely useful. It sounds very good and the convenience is a massive bonus. I really like the the eq section too. But the sQuad bundle really does it for me, and doesnt start pussying out when you push it like most plugs. Big fan of the EMI Abbey road plugs. Dislked the comps at first, but they really grew on me. Now I love them.
Old 17th February 2009
I totally dig the

URS bundle. They are amazing as far as plug-ins go.
Also the new LA-2A leveling amp plug-in from MOTU for DP6 is very warm and convincing
Old 17th February 2009
Gear Nut

SSL Duende BUS Comp. Very Analogue sounding, quite something.
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

Tritone and nebula are about the only thing close to analog sounding in the digi realm
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
I love their other plugins (especially effectrix ), but vogue is quite bad imo.

I don't even get the analogy that it sounds 'analog'. Sounds very similar to cookie-cutter digital to me.
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
+1
Old 25th February 2009
I find PSP Neon HR in HR mode with the fat button in sounds very close to an analog eq
but it requires alot of CPU power
Old 25th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
I havnt tried it but I know what your talking about and I wonder why so many ME's dont demand the power section emulation of their plugins

So many people raved about the URS console pro with its totally hack, almost joke like, input section. Input my arse

The hardest sound to get right in modeling is a guitar amp--yet it was the very first thing ever modeled with some success. This tech is over 10 years old and the plugin makers still have no idea what the guitar modeling guys have done

UAD's Nigel is total crap so obviously they dont have it down enough to add input saturation to their plugins.

This is a real big piece of the puzzle that is missing because you can feel and hear the sense that the plugin has no power--it just floats on air--so to speak--with no weight to it. I wanna hear that Dooooof sound when I engage the plugin..haha

I want the input to drive the unit. What I dont want is some kiddie impulse system in front that is just an eq. But you know what?...its not coming soon because people just rave and rave about these perfect emulations when they are Not. If the bigwigs let the companies know that they missing a vital area and they will not be satified until it arrives maybe the designers would stop cheating and claiming they have nailed it

BTW..Samplitude has a preamp with a drive section and can feel the weight to the signal.(in their analog suite)

Interesting point here. How do you think the waves Q-Clone or the like do on capturing the front end?
Old 25th February 2009
Gear Addict

judging by the demo video on their site, i say that is very very far from sounding like any analog channel, although on second hearing it really reminds me the sound of Bah-ringer "analog" small mixers. the same distortion with a license to ill, and an eq that doubles as a phaser.

the only thing that sounds analog and good ITB that i heard and used is the Nebula. it amaze me that the Nebula is still the best kept secret of ITB mixing instead of being the de facto standart by which all other plugins are measured (to shame, most likely).

p.s - haven't tried the tritone, maybe they are at the same level as the Nebula? i read they are working on the same principal - sampling analog hardware with dynamic harmonic distortion.
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidperetz View Post
hardware with dynamic harmonic distortion.
hi!, thank you again for your wise words.
Harmonic distortion is not a consequence of sampling there.
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1

When listening to the demo's.

But, perhaps the '****ness' (rough distortion in the higher frequencies) it adds can add some specific flavour?

I must check, tonight, if it is possible to get a sound like that from any other plugs that I have?

Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

The Vogue video demo didn't do anything for me but that's not to say it couldn't.

The URS Console Strip was so hyped up at one point. By the time I got it I couldn't figure out what the fuss was about. The various console emulations don't do much for me on the input section. I did however find a great use for the strip on my guitar buss. I'm using little to no compression but it's the EQ's that are coming in quite handy to help my heavy guitars maintain their sound and still sit in the mix. It's in the EQ section that I also found the console emulations came in handy. I tend to gravitate towards the 1980 for my top end and 1972 in the mids. I wouldn't call it very analog sounding though, just a useful plug for guitar buss. Haven't tried it on drums. Their other comps are great though.

PSP's Vintage Warmer can get some analog sounds, but it just doesn't turn my crank nowadays, and the latency it produces within LE is just brutal.

McDSP's Analog Channel 2 is nice. Probably one of the more analog sounding plugs I've used.

Waves SSL Comp seems good to me. Maybe not completely analog sounding but definitely not boring and digital sounding. I hate the analog switch on the Channel and EQ though. It's just unnecessary hiss to me.
Old 26th February 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidperetz View Post
an eq that doubles as a phaser.

LOL
Old 26th February 2009

Quote:

maybe it has something to do with this:

from their website:

"Producers know: microphone recordings all too often lack the presence and power of digital sounds. "

....so THAT's their gal.... the power of digital sounds....
Old 28th February 2009
Lives for gear

if analogue sounding or not use the tool if you like it.
i have worked with outboard and myself I own more and more outboard too.

all I can say there a Plug-Ins I like and there is outboard I like.

the one mentioned here I do not like.

if we do an analogue analogy then please bring in UAD plug ins special their loudness maximizer with switched off limiter.

i say listen carefully before your write something sounds analogue.
if something distorts or saturates that does not mean that its sound is near analogue.... it must be nice to the ear nice saturation sweeting my track and not distortion like hell H3 and higher.....hehd

Sorry I have not read this carefully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
maybe it has something to do with this:

from their website:

"Producers know: microphone recordings all too often lack the presence and power of digital sounds. "

....so THAT's their gal.... the power of digital sounds....
right that is exactly how it sounds it makes the signals of my nice neve mic-pre-clone digital and harsh.
Old 28th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post

+1 for Samplitude...my opinion the best daw around and has been....its finally getting some popular cred though. Thats all..
Old 28th February 2009
Lives for gear

still like it. used it on bass after an audio damage phasetwo on a house track. hit the spot nicely.
Old 4th March 2009
Gear Maniac

sounds horrible

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search