The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question about ear damage
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Addict

Question about ear damage

The other night I attended a gig and used earplugs, but next day my right ear was kind of "blocked", dunno how to explain it.. like when you go swiming and u get some water inside your ear.
Well. 2 days now and still have that.

A friend of mine told me it might be ear wax that went deep inside because of the earplug or something...
Have any of you guys heard of this?
Its just the right ear.. and its getting pretty annoying.
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

do you have any ringing in your ear? is it sensitive?

oto
Old 7th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyRock View Post
The other night I attended a gig and used earplugs, but next day my right ear was kind of "blocked", dunno how to explain it.. like when you go swiming and u get some water inside your ear.
Well. 2 days now and still have that.

A friend of mine told me it might be ear wax that went deep inside because of the earplug or something...
Have any of you guys heard of this?
Its just the right ear.. and its getting pretty annoying.
Are you getting an echo from the ear. If that is it, its your eustachian tube not closing right. I have this problem and haven't found a solution yet. Otherwise, you might try the alternative wax removal procedures that are available.
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Addict

No, no echoes at least.
Its ringing a bit...
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Guru

Well, if you weren't really exposed to loud noises, then it sounds like you could have pushed some earwax onto the drum with the plugs. Go to a doctor and have him irrigate your ears.
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

do you know what tinnitus is? there are some threads on this forum about it. I have it slightly and exposure to loud sounds for prolonged periods of time can exacerbate the symptoms. I sometimes do have a sensation that my ears are blocked as well, this usually fades over the course of a few days if I relax my ears (no loud music).

it could very well be what one of the previous posters had mentioned. if it's still clogged tomorrow and it's been a few days I would definitely check in with a doc... no harm.

oto
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Addict

I'm going to see an ENT soon, probably tomorrow.
The blocking sensation is less noticeable but still there, ringin still there and my ear feels a lil bit "warm"

Hopefully is just earwax

I'll let u guys know
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going to see an ENT soon, probably tomorrow.
The blocking sensation is less noticeable but still there, ringin still there and my ear feels a lil bit "warm"

Hopefully is just earwax

I'll let u guys know
All the best, i hope it´s earwax.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, no echoes at least.
Its ringing a bit...
Sounds like you have a mild middle ear infection, the Dr will probably find excess ear wax (which you probably pushed in with ear plugs, it happens and is no big deal, usually) and mild inflammation of the ear canal.

A week long course of antibiotics should fix it. After your ear infection subsides try to get a ear cleaning product such as this 1, AUDICLEAN: The safer alternative to cotton swabs

Don't use it until your infection is gone otherwise you'll make it worse, once infection clears up use the audiclean once a week and your hearing should be better than ever.

Hope this helps.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Addict

I just came back from the Doc.. I just had earwax. He sucked it up with a device and now that ear works like a super condenser mike.. i hear so much details its disturbing.. I guess my brain has to get used to that .Tomorrow probably i'll get used. But i think the problem is solved.

I asked the doc about infection but he didnt see anything anormal.
How should I know if i have an infection?
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

I know that feeling!It´s like you´re a Bat.I had the same issue 2 years ago.
It happens.Maybe you should rest your ears for some days and wait how you feel.I know one can get really scared about hearing pretty fast,but this sounds like its just some wax and no infection.The Doc would definetly found out if you had a infection.ääähhmm.....calm down?
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Addict

I'm thinking i wish i had the earwax on both ears cause I really hear like superman now lol
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Good to hear, yeah if you have an infection it will be slightly to severely painful, usually no pain no infection.

Feels weird when they are properly cleaned, just like new ears.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Wait till tomorrow.
Or hear very loud music.
It won´t last long believe me.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Izzy,
how do you feel?
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Addict

I feel great!
Thanks for asking bro
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
I just came back from the Doc.. I just had earwax. He sucked it up with a device and now that ear works like a super condenser mike.. i hear so much details its disturbing.. I guess my brain has to get used to that .Tomorrow probably i'll get used. But i think the problem is solved.
I used to have that many years ago.

was in holidays in Spain, went swimming into the sea and something must have gotten into my right ear.

I was nearly deaf on that ear for some days until I went to the doctor back home and he flooded it out with water.
I remember walking through the frontdoor of the music uni here and I could hear a guy turning on the water in the bathroom (about 50 meters away behind lots of students talking). I felt like superman too, absolutely. ear normalized in about a day.
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I had the same problem a year ago from wearing moulded ear plugs but the problem was only in one ear, well what i thought was one ear at the time.
So I went to a doctor who removed the wax from my left ear which was great. What wasn't great was that when i noticed how much better i could hear out of my left ear I asked for him to do the right ear ear, explaining that I mix music and wanted both my ears to be hearing things equally. He just laughed at me and refused to do it saying I was being ridiculous and that I should only have medical work done to me if I really needed it. So for months I went around with unequal hearing which made all my mixes a little lop-sided, i'm not doing it professionally but it still sucked. Eventually they went back to normal, but it wasn't for about 6 months or so.

Point of the story, if you are gonna get ear wax removed make sure your doctor understands why and that you want both of them done at the same time! If I did mixing professionally it would have been a disaster.
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Head

Ear plugs are notorious for promoting ear infections as well...
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofus View Post
I had the same problem a year ago from wearing moulded ear plugs but the problem was only in one ear, well what i thought was one ear at the time.
So I went to a doctor who removed the wax from my left ear which was great. What wasn't great was that when i noticed how much better i could hear out of my left ear I asked for him to do the right ear ear, explaining that I mix music and wanted both my ears to be hearing things equally. He just laughed at me and refused to do it saying I was being ridiculous and that I should only have medical work done to me if I really needed it. So for months I went around with unequal hearing which made all my mixes a little lop-sided, i'm not doing it professionally but it still sucked. Eventually they went back to normal, but it wasn't for about 6 months or so.

Point of the story, if you are gonna get ear wax removed make sure your doctor understands why and that you want both of them done at the same time! If I did mixing professionally it would have been a disaster.
What a crappy doctor.... I wouldn't exactly call routine ear wax removal "medical work". You know you can do ear wax removal at home don't you? Use some ear wax removal drops which contain Carbamide Peroxide then flush your ear with warm water and diluted hydrogen peroxide using a medical syringe. Works like a charm.
Old 11th September 2008
Sometimes earplugs can push earwax to the back of your ear and get it stuck there.

Or it could be spiders.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search