The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monster Power?
Old 3rd May 2005
Lives for gear

Monster Power?

All,

I searched and couldnt find an answer to this simple question:

Is getting a Monster Power 3500 (or the like) going to make my gear sound better?

Right now I have a cheap Furman unit powering me entire ProTools HD rig.

Thoughts?

-S0nguy
Old 3rd May 2005
Jai guru deva om

Maybe, maybe not. I have one and it doesn't make my gear sound bad. Aside from surge protection the beauty of the Monster is the sequenced power on / off and also the separate circuits do a good job of keeping ground issues separated etc. so things have the opportunity to run maybe a little more hum free.

Whether it would be a step up over the Furman I dunno.

War
Old 3rd May 2005

Get good decent surge spike protection if you need it and use the money you saved on a couple of new mics or a better control surface.

-tINY

Old 3rd May 2005
Lowdbrent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

Get good decent surge spike protection if you need it and use the money you saved on a couple of new mics or a better control surface.

-tINY

SurgeX has some of the best surge/spike protection, and it doesn't contaminate the ground. If you have an older Furman, it uses MOV's, which burn up after one use, and disintegrate in time. The newer Furman stuff gets away from MOV's.

The Monster stuff is nothing special. It looks cool, and has the Monster name. So if you buy into anything Monster is better, then go for it. Personally, I think that it is just a marketing box with a huge mark-up for Ultimate Electronics, etc to sell to brainless home theater buyers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search