The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo compression
Old 2nd May 2005
Gear Maniac

Stereo compression

If you compress the heck out of the drums and you compress the bass and other instruments to control dynamics, then why do people still use another compressor on the stereo buss? I'm just curious because why compress strings instruments? I could be wrong, but does anyone else feels that the compressor is being used too much on tracks today? Everything is being compress over and over again.
Old 3rd May 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
If you compress the heck out of the drums and you compress the bass and other instruments to control dynamics, then why do people still use another compressor on the stereo buss?
Compressing a group of instruments is different from compressing an individual instrument. Compressing the group can help make them move and breath as one thing. Compressing individual tracks can help you to match the levels of different track the way you want to. Like if the the acoustic gtr is peaky and all over the place, compressing it can control it and help you balance it correctly against the other instruments. Then if you compress them together, it glues them together a bit.
(Does that make sense? Try it sometime.)

Quote:
I'm just curious because why compress strings instruments?
To keep them in place. It can be hard to get a cello to stand out against rock instruments, for example, because it is very dynamic but doesn't have a big slam of an attack. Compressing it can help it sort of stand forward and stay there, if you need it to, so that you can still hear it against the drums and bass and so forth.

Quote:
I could be wrong, but does anyone else feels that the compressor is being used too much on tracks today? Everything is being compress over and over again.
Absolutely. Just because it sometimes helps doesn't mean it always does, an a little goes a long way.
Old 3rd May 2005
Agreed - Compressors, even several of them, don't have to "compress the heck" out of anything unless you want them to.
Old 3rd May 2005
Jai guru deva om

Personally I compress the "hell" out of stuff...

Compression is always about dynamic range control, but sometimes for different effect. The cello vs a rock mix is a great example, in that you can bring up the low strums and keep the loud strums in check so the instrument can be heard more present in the mix.

Compression on the stereo buss can be nice as a glue though. Until you hand it off the Vlad the Impaler's Mastering House Extraordinaire and they kill the dynamic range...

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search