The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Running US gear on European power...
Old 1st May 2005
Running US gear on European power...

I will need to run a few pieces of gear that only have 120v/60cps power supplies on 230/50 in the future. This will include one mic preamp power supply and powered monitor speakers (or monitors through a Hafler P3000 or equivalent amp).

I see these $12 power converters all over the place, but wonder if they are suitable and cause any loss of audio quality when you need to pull amplifier-style current through them. Any transformers you'd recommend for audio equipment?

Thanks, oudplayer
Old 2nd May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer
I will need to run a few pieces of gear that only have 120v/60cps power supplies on 230/50 in the future. This will include one mic preamp power supply and powered monitor speakers (or monitors through a Hafler P3000 or equivalent amp).

I see these $12 power converters all over the place, but wonder if they are suitable and cause any loss of audio quality when you need to pull amplifier-style current through them. Any transformers you'd recommend for audio equipment?

Thanks, oudplayer
Make sure the transformers can handle the required effect (as in Watts) for you equipment. And make shure that the equipment doesn´t use the 60 Hz for any kind of "controlling", like the Hammond B3. Then you´ll need a frequency downstepper too.

Powered monitors will need some heavy transformers.

Stein Tore
Old 2nd May 2005
member no 666

The only way I know to change frequencies is with a UPS that takes the wall current down to DC then converts it back to AC in any configuration you want... as for 240 to 120 step down transformers I would recommend that you pick up a transformer that is at least twice the "wattage" for the unit.
Old 2nd May 2005
Here for the gear

I am about to move from the US to the UK.

Check these people out I have two of theirs:

http://traveloasis.com/transformers9.html
Old 2nd May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_simon
I am about to move from the US to the UK.

Check these people out I have two of theirs:

http://traveloasis.com/transformers9.html
Thanks Dr. Simon - have you tried these with amps? I'm wondering if they're "noisy."

Fletcher: I was worrying that that might be the case regarding changing frequency. Considering the weight of one of those 120/220 UPS units, I think I may pick up an amp in Europe and save the back-ache.

Thanks for all of your responses.
Old 2nd May 2005
Lives for gear

Some "USA gear" already has internal strapping for 230/240 VAC operation. You will need to check the owner's manual.

One larger issue is the 60/50 Hz problem. If a particular piece of gear requires a 240-to-120 Volt stepdown transformer because it doesn't have strapping options, you *may* be in trouble running it from a 50 Hz mains.

Two issues: the power transformer may not have a large enough core to run at 50 Hz without overheating, and the filter capacitors may not be large enough to filter the lower ripple frequency (hence, more hum on the DC rail(s)).

Check the manufacturers' websites for each pice of gear.

A device that converts from 240V to 120V *AND* 50 Hz to 60 Hz is not one of the inexpensive "travelers' accessories". I would expect such a device to be both large and expensive.

Bri
Old 2nd May 2005
Yes, I've been very careful about buying universal voltage gear recently. I find it interesting that few amps or powered monitors come with dual-voltage options (though it appears companies like Dynaudio, Hafler, etc. make separate versions for American export and European consumption).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search