The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Converters: HD24XR or Stand Alone?
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Addict

Converters: HD24XR or Stand Alone?

Just wondering if you might be able to answer this:

I am thinking about an Alesis HD24 for $2000. There is a 96k converter upgrade (approx $650) that you can get for the HD24 or it can come integrated in the new HD24XR for $2500. The converters in the upgrade include the converter chips the AKM 5393 chip and 4393 chip. Same chips as in Mind Print Di-Mod 24-96 converter.

Is there a stand alone ADA converter that would be better than the AKM's that I should consider for the same or a little more money ($500 - $750) that would be worth the extra investment?

Thanks,

Woods
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Head

Bump
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Addict

those converters will be fine, especially for the price. However, i will reccommend that you get an external clock for them, which improves the sound dramatically.

Marshall
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Head

Jim William of Audio Upgrade has the new HD24 upgrade (96k) similar to XR version. He claims that it's got more bottom and high end at 48k, thus a better converter.
He did a shootout with the radar (don't know which version) he said that it's very competitive with radar.

Moko
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear