The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor screens and reflections
Old 1st May 2005
Gear Nut

Monitor screens and reflections

Sitting staring at my lovely flat panel monitors, it occured to me that they are a pretty effective looking source of reflection that's sitting right in front of my ears...nice smooth flat surface... :|

Has anyone noticed any acoustic issues with this?

Given that anything that's going to hit them is likely to be coming from the back of the room, should rear wall diffusion prevent any problem? Maybe tilting the screens upwards a bit would also help?

Am I thinking far too much...?
Old 1st May 2005
Gear Addict

I'm No Expert......but.......

Obviousley anything that undermines the accuracy of your monitoring is undesirable but optimum working conditions are often a compromise in any control room. Large format mixing desks are accoustically messy and the fact most people have nearfields on meter bridges and mix directly in front of them is a clear compromise, but one which is obviousley unavoidable. I think most people are in a similar situation with computer screens. Definitely think that anything that can improve the acoustics of your working environment will be beneficial but if your room is already well treated the effects of the rear wall reflections combined with your computer screens may be negliable and you being sat in front of them should act as a fairly substantial absorber (no offence meant!). Definetly do some tests though, maybe try the old hanging the duvet up at the back trick to really determine if there is a problem, wouldn't be too concerned though!

take it easy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search