The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opeing a studio and need some advice Condenser Microphones
Old 30th April 2005
Gear Addict

Opeing a studio and need some advice

I am currently in the process of opening a studio. My equipment so far is:
Pro Tools Mix +3 w/ 2 24 bit adat bridges and 2 888/24´s w/ tons of plugs
Tascam DM-3200 Still pre-ordered w/ 6.1 card.
KRK V8 w/ V12 sub, NS-10´s with Hafler amp
Neumann M147, GT 66, AKG C1000 mics (2)AKG 414(2), AKG Perception 200 (2)
Shure Mic Set (1)52 (3)57, Audix Drum Mic Set (4)... and a bunch of other mics that are cheap.
Mindprint DTC
tons of effects processors: Lexicon, TC electronics........ good stuff
.......and ****loads of other outboard gear that is almost acceptable. I am leaving out a bunch of stuff, but I think it is not important.
Already have a place that is being proffesionaly acousticly treated and all of the headphone mixes and stuff alike has been taken care of.

My question is take $6000 bucks and make my studio that much better. This studio is opening in Brasil which means everything costs 2x as much. Please don´t tell me what I shouldn´t have bought, instead tell me what I need. I am interested in adding pro gear.... not cheap ****. Iam at the stage where I have bought so much **** hat I am confused and need some guidance.... help please. When it is up I will post pictures.
Old 30th April 2005
Gear Nut

If you have not already addressed the acoustics of the room(s), taking a portion of that budget to do so would be wise. You already have a fairly substantial gear list. Having a good sounding room to record in and to listen and mix those recordings will go a long way toward client satisfaction. As for equipment, it is not glamorous, but do discount the importance of a good headphone/cue system for the talent. That being said, if I had six grand for gear that would garner the most improvement in my sound, I'd look into some Hardy or Daking preamps. They have made a substantial improvement in the quality of my recordings. Just my .02.....and your $6k.
Old 30th April 2005
Gear Addict

thanks for the response updated me question to get better answers. Remeber... Brasil... it is really expensive here... for example an old O2R costs over $4000 american. import taxes are about 100% so I am sneeking in all the stuff I can.
Old 30th April 2005
Gear Addict

I know how you feel about the prices in Brasil. I used to live there. maybe you can find away to go to Guitar Center Miami and buy some gear and send it back. I know pleanty of people who have done that. Or go to Orlando for a "Disney trip" (easy to get the visa for that) and get some gear at Guitar Center Orlando. If you need any info let me know. I know people at Guitar Center in both places.
Old 30th April 2005
My suggestions:

To make your 888/24's sound better get

One high quality 2 channel converter - Apogee Rosetta 200 or Cranesong Hedd

Get a clock distrabution box & use the best converter for every overdub & to provide clock for the whole system.

As many high quality mic pre's as you can afford!

1 x nice valve mic - Soundelux?
1 x Royer 121 - ribbon mic ?

Plug ins
URS - Neve 12 (+ all if you can afford them)
Cranesong - Phoenix

+ a nice patch bay

Old 30th April 2005
Gear Guru

Mic Pre's. Mic Pre's, Mic Pre's.

Most important thing.

API 3124. Best bang for buck.
Old 30th April 2005
Lives for gear

hmmm..... my advice don't open a studio....well not if you want to actually make real money instead of spending it all on gear.....Good Luck

cheers
SP
Old 30th April 2005
Jai guru deva om

If you have V8's is that sub really necessary? We did a KRK shootout this past week at a local studio and I sure wouldn't see the need for a sub after hearing that speaker...it can reach low and get loud as hell.

War
Old 30th April 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
If you have V8's is that sub really necessary? We did a KRK shootout this past week at a local studio and I sure wouldn't see the need for a sub after hearing that speaker...it can reach low and get loud as hell.

War
The sub is for surround sound.
Old 1st May 2005
Jai guru deva om

Are you using V8's as your 5 or 6?

War
Old 1st May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster
thanks for the response updated me question to get better answers. Remeber... Brasil... it is really expensive here... for example an old O2R costs over $4000 american. import taxes are about 100% so I am sneeking in all the stuff I can.
I feel your pain, i'm from Bolivia.. It's probably easier to bribe the customs people here, but it's a hassle.

maybe try to get one of the pimps to send you the stuff with lower marked prices. I doubt someone would do it.. but try, there are also some underground type of shippers in miami that would change the papers for you. we bolivians are experts in breaking the law : )
Old 1st May 2005
Lives for gear

don't wanna sound like a smartass but why don't you just start recording and mixing? you'll find out pretty fast what you're missing.

Jo
Old 2nd May 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks for the advice Jules, I picked up an Apogee Rosetta 200 for just $300 today from somebody who didn´t know what they had. Planning on getting a clock distribution box but don´t know which ones are good. All the reviews are read say that they are all great.
Old 2nd May 2005
Gear Head

Gotta get yourself a good coffee machine man!!

...and a $5k holiday!!
Old 2nd May 2005
Motown legend

You can improve the playback sound of an 888 a lot by turning the output pots down all the way.
Old 2nd May 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott petito
hmmm..... my advice don't open a studio....well not if you want to actually make real money instead of spending it all on gear.....Good Luck
SP
I second that. It would be nice though cause "REAL JOBS SUCK ASS"
Old 2nd May 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster
Thanks for the advice Jules, I picked up an Apogee Rosetta 200 for just $300 today from somebody who didn´t know what they had. Planning on getting a clock distribution box but don´t know which ones are good. All the reviews are read say that they are all great.
WHAT....! $300.00..!.. .. .. .. .......................

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search