The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mesa 4x12 Cabinets - Traditional = Oversized?
Old 30th April 2005
Gear Head

Mesa 4x12 Cabinets - Traditional = Oversized?

I went to order a Dual Rectifier and cabinet today. When I told them I wanted the straight cab, they asked if I wanted the "traditional" model.

Ok, does anybody here know if the "traditional" model is the oversized one or not? I ask here because they didn't really seem to know themselves.

Opinions between the two?

The worst part is they said it might take two months to get it into the store

Thanks!
Larry
Old 30th April 2005
I've always thought the Mesa 4x12 cabs sounded really honky and congested. They record very badly to my ears. I bought the Marshall 4x12 straight cab with vintage 30's instead...sweet sound. I'll be getting a 2x12 with Greenbacks and another with some high watt EV's eventually to cover all bases.
Old 30th April 2005
Gear Head

mesa traditional

hi everyone! the mesa traditional cabinet is the smaller cab. the standard cab is the oversized dimensions. hope this helps. joe
Old 30th April 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
I've always thought the Mesa 4x12 cabs sounded really honky and congested. They record very badly to my ears. I bought the Marshall 4x12 straight cab with vintage 30's instead...sweet sound. I'll be getting a 2x12 with Greenbacks and another with some high watt EV's eventually to cover all bases.
I totally disagree. For heavey rock guitar recording, there's nothing like a Mesa cab. As long as it's Vintage 30s it's mostly cool IMO. Randall, Marshall etc. But the Mesas have more Mids, more tone. For close mic recording, you could also buy a 2x12" or even 1x12" (that I use). Smaller and cheaper!
Old 30th April 2005
Lives for gear

The standard Boogie's don't sound bad when combined with the right amp.
It's tight as nothing else.

Now, I WISH Marshall could make a NOS 4X12 cab with the aged Greenbacks
used in the new handwired 18 Watt...

ruudman
Old 30th April 2005
Gear Addict

This cab is great!!! I love recording guitares with it, very tight and a peak in the mids. I've used it with mesa, marshall, peavey, bogner, lanay, engle, soldano, Sovtek heads, it allway's sounds great.
I also have all of the above with the cabs none of them sound as tight as the mesa cab.
Old 30th April 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryClutch
Ok, does anybody here know if the "traditional" model is the oversized one or not?
Opinions between the two?

Larry
Back to your question. The ones I recommended were the oversized ones thumbsup . I've never used a standard.
Old 30th April 2005
Gear Addict

I agree that Mesa cabs are great. Old Ampegs and Marshalls can of course sound better w/ the right head, but as far as current mass-produced cabs, they're as good as it gets. I have the straight 4x12 traditional and the 2x12 recifier cabs and use them both constantly. I've even been running my Vibrolux re-issue through the mesa cabs lately and am loving it. Buying the traditional (smaller, marshall-sized) cab also makes finding a case MUCH easier.

-Mike
Old 30th April 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener
Back to your question. The ones I recommended were the oversized ones thumbsup . I've never used a standard.
I found this link after a quick google search, it might help:

http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/...php?t-246.html

Quote:
For close mic recording, you could also buy a 2x12" or even 1x12" (that I use). Smaller and cheaper!
To me there is a huge difference how the amp reacts hooked up with for example one 1x12" cab with Vintage 30's compared to when it's playing through a 4x12" with Vintage 30's. Even if you just mike up one speaker element, the fact that the amp is loaded with two different amounts of watts will change what comes out of that one speaker. There is SO many variables here, and they all make a difference. Watts, ohm, type of element, size and measures, what kind of wood and how thick it is, bass-ports, and so on...

For most metal stuff i find 1x12 cabs almost useless, and I tend to end up using 4x12 cabs. Then again if the purpose is to make a cleaner sound out of your amp it might work perfectly...
Old 1st May 2005
Lives for gear

First off, Mesa cabs are usually warmer and richer sounding then Marshall Cabs, I've had them all and I always prefer the Mesas... I have a straight and an oversized, the smaller one actually has tighter low end but the bigger one has a richer midrange. Buy both and use both, put a 57 on each!
Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 1st May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eide
For most metal stuff i find 1x12 cabs almost useless, and I tend to end up using 4x12 cabs. Then again if the purpose is to make a cleaner sound out of your amp it might work perfectly...
Don't think so. I do mostly metal stuff and I often use the Mesa 1x12".
I always hook up several cabs (Mesa, Marshall, Randall) so I can compare directly. There is a difference between big and small of course. But thinking that you need a BIG cab for close miced metal guitars is totally wrong in my opinion! It can even give you a tighter tone to use am small one.
Old 1st May 2005
Lives for gear

The Marshall 1960TVB cab (oversized dimensions) won all the cab shootouts, here. I like the oversized rectifier cabs for stage work, but (IMHO) they have too much low end in the studio. The TV (tall/vintage) is just right. I like the straight cab.

YMMV
Old 1st May 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:

Whatever works for you, man. Just shared my opinion...
Old 1st May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eide
Whatever works for you, man. Just shared my opinion...
Just kidding!

Tack sa mycket!
Old 2nd May 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Tack sa mycket!
Sweetener, Bitte schön! BTW I have two ENGL 1x12" Vintage cabs and a mesa 1x12 that u can get cheap if u want... Used to be a huge-guitar-rack-stereo+center-freak and found it easier to drag around a bunch of one-by-twelves than multiple stacks at some point, so I've had a couple of them, yeah...

Anyway, for those who haven't checked out what Mesa says about the two cabs at www.mesaboogie.com, here it is:

4x12 Recto-STANDARD SLANT
(Straight Front also available) Cabinet Design
featuring the legendary "Over-Sized" Recto-Closed Back Cabinet Construction that has made the Recto Cabinet Designs the world's most revered for massive, authoritative tone! Unbelievable amounts of fat, thick bottom end - Tailored mids that provide the perfect curves leading into the most defined, shimmering and sparkling highs you have ever heard.

4x12 Recto-TRADITIONAL SLANT
(Straight Front also available), Cabinet Design featuring the same legendary craftsmanship and construction that has made the Recto Cabinet Designs famous - However it features a "Traditional" 4x12 sizing versus the standard "Over-Sizing" of our "Standard" 4x12 Recto Cabinet. The result is a tighter, faster bottom end, with added focus throughout the mid-range spectrum.

Now, these descriptions would obviously be saying that the Mesa cabs were the best ever made anyway, but it might be some truth in this since it pretty much says what Bang mentioned 5 posts ago. And his guitars sounds pretty nice i must say, after hearing his mixes posted in the Mp3 upload section. I have only recorded the oversized one and it sounded really nice to me. However, for studio use I would think "a tighter, faster bottom end, with added focus throughout the mid-range spectrum" as it's said about the traditional-sized one would be the best, wouldn't it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search