The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KRK V8 S2 vs. V8 S1
Old 29th April 2005
Gear Addict

KRK V8 S2 vs. V8 S1

New KRK V8 S2 as good as old ones? I am converting to 5.1 and I am unable to find three more good S1. I was thinking of putting the S2 as my LCR and using the S1 as my RL and RR. Maybe my concern is similarity, but so many people seem to tell me that the S2 have some sort of "sounding ****ty" problem. Don´t want to mix on a bad monitor... and I love my V8´s to death.
Old 29th April 2005
Jai guru deva om

I cannot comment on a direct comparison, but we did a KRK monitor shootout last night at a local studio and these V8 version 2's can get astonishingly LOUD! Everyone in the room loved them, very worthwhile checking into.

In many ways I prefer the V6 to the V8 myself.

War
Old 29th April 2005

In the latest KRK lines, the 6 inch woofer models sound better. The midrange is cleaner.

You need a sub if you want them loud or full depth, though.

-tINY

Old 29th April 2005
Gear Guru

i listened one day at a Guitarget and I also liked the V6 better...
Old 1st May 2005
Gear Addict

I have owned and use the Mk.1 V8's for about four years, and I love them. I got a pair of the new Mk.2 version from the distributor here in London while I was mixing an album just to check them out and A/B them with the originals ....

IMHO, the new Mk.2 version sucks. They sound nothing like the Mk.1, and nothing like any of the other great KRK's I've used (6000's, 9000's E8's). There is no warmth or depth to the bottom end, everything sounds really flat and tinny and small. Apparently, it's a new ground-up design, new drivers, amps and crossovers, and its all made in China to minimize cost. Which wouldn't be a problem, except that it sounds cheap.

It's a real shame, because I thought that KRK had got the price/performance ratio just right with the original V8's.

Oh well, just have to save up for a pair of E8T's ... now there's a great speaker!
Old 1st May 2005
Lives for gear

I bought the V6II's last fall and find them wonderful. They were by far the best sounding monitors GC had to offer in it's showroom. Not just great sounding, but quite balanced across the freq. spectrum. That said, I still want some Dynaudios one day...
Old 1st May 2005
Jai guru deva om

I am in agreement about the V6 vs. the V8. We did a KRK shootout at a local studio this week and I really liked the V6 better for the exact reasons stated above. Clearer midrange, better definition all over. The biggest difference I heard was separation between a kick drum and bass guitar as well. The V6 delivered the click, the body and the slam of the kick and it was clearly separated from the bass guitar. The V8 tended to "blend" the two, the low mids just weren't that defined.

The V6 to me was the clear winner and had all the bass you need to mix a record. As mentioned, a wonderful monitor.

The V8's aren't "bad" and they will get louder than you'd EVER need. For mixing rap / hip hop the V8's would be a good monitor to have around as they can certainly reach lower.

War
Old 1st May 2005
Lives for gear

Anybody else think that V8's should have a more extended bottom for being 8's?
Old 1st May 2005
Lives for gear

I have a pair of KRK V8 if you are interested. They are the ones from 2002.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search