The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Info on mixing with buses
Old 29th April 2005
Gear Head

Info on mixing with buses

Hey everyone

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on mixing using buses within a daw environment such as Logic for example.

I understand the principle of taking your 20+ channels and grouping them into bass or leads or percussion etc and routing/summing down to 4 or 5 stereo buses before your final stereo bounce.

My main question is about EQ-ing on those buses, is there any standard stype principles to apply there for achieving the nice clean separation within the mix which is the main objective to using buses.

Any help would be of great benefit
Cheers

Jason Are
Old 29th April 2005

usually, you would accentuate the forments of each instrument you want to bring out. I haven't seen this done on sub-groups, though.

-tINY

Old 29th April 2005
Lives for gear

Sometimes you might eq a group. For instance if you have a group with keys, synths etc that are not contirbuting to the bass content of the song you might apply a low cut/hi-pass filter. If you have a group of guitars that are masking the vocals you might want to cut a little upper mid from the entire group.

I will often apply compression to an entire group like a drum group or a backing vox group. There are times when applying dsp to an entire group can be helpful.

Many engineers who mix on analog console will do similar things, create groups on the busses and insert eq's or comps on those groups.

Lawrence
Old 29th April 2005
Bas
Gear Head

I use groups to make life easier and for processing a logical group of instruments (e.g. drums).

Individual drums can have compression applied and route to a 'dry' drum group. I can send to a reverb (on another group) from the snare track to get a particular sound I want. From the 'dry' group I may send to another reverb for ambience on the whole kit. If needed that lot can then go to another group to allow the 'wet' mix to be controlled by a single fader.

I don't often EQ the whole kit, I prefer to get the EQ done on the individual drums, but the working method allows me a lot of scope to do so if required, either before the dry group is sent to the ambient reverb, or after.

With the self contained groups of instruments, the mix can be a lot less complicated, as the guitars havea group, the drums, the whole backing so relative levels can be set easily.
Old 29th April 2005
Lives for gear

if you dont know it already you might want to check this out :

http://www.mbrauer.com/articles/tapeop.asp?pp=1

Old 29th April 2005
Gear Maniac

I give important tracks like lead vocal and bass their own separate buss. So i dont have to do any mixing on that track.
Old 3rd May 2005
Gear Head

Thanks

Thanks Everyone For Your Help
Old 3rd May 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan
I give important tracks like lead vocal and bass their own separate buss. So i dont have to do any mixing on that track.
Please explain...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search