The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
'Mix Fashion' and SELLING OUT. On any level. Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 17th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
RKrizman,
That girl is 15? Man! I thought she looked considerably older. I guess I have to bide my time Hope it all works out!
Well, she's 16 now. But how did you see that ad? Is Music Connection more pervasive than I thought? Should I be giving it more credit as a legitimate trade?

-R
Old 17th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Rick, I'm not sure how to say this tactfully so I'm just gonna say it. The Music Connection I saw the ad in was in one of the bathroom stalls here at work. Make of that what you will...

Old 17th March 2003
Lives for gear

Does she have an older sister? Ok, enough with the locker room comments. Talk about my type though!

Everybody and their mother gets Music Connection man.
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cram
Rick, I'm not sure how to say this tactfully so I'm just gonna say it. The Music Connection I saw the ad in was in one of the bathroom stalls here at work. Make of that what you will...

Don't worry about offending me. That's kind of how I see the magazine (and that ad occurred over my protestations), but I've since wondered if in fact people who are in the real (not wannabee) record business read the mag and have any respect for its contents. When I first moved to L.A. 20 years ago I read it regularly and networked through it, but nothing came of anything I got from it and I probably hadn't picked it up for about 15 years. I've been under the impression that it services the whole "trying to get signed" jungle with its advertized instructors, budget studios, players' advertisements, local band reviews, etc., and that whole culture will thrive within itself whether anyone gets signed or not.

But I don't know. I've occasionally been accused of having an elitist attitude...

-R
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
Does she have an older sister? Ok, enough with the locker room comments. Talk about my type though!

Everybody and their mother gets Music Connection man.
I know it's ubiquitous, but is it useful? Does anyone who's actually making records or signing talent rely on it as a resource?

And G-man . . . . with all due respect, she's not your type.

-R
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Rkrizman,
Ha! Oh well. "Only in my dreams..."
Old 26th March 2003
Here for the gear

OK, seeing as it's almost the end of March, I wanted to take one last stab at coercing SM to answer my original question. SM--I know you're spread pretty thin these days, but a guy who locks himself in a control room for 4000 hours with only a can of Slim Jims and a copy of Penthouse--oh wait, that was me. Never mind.

A guy who goes through what you did to re-formulate your ideas about mixing must be able off the top of yor head to describe how a classic 70s record would be mixed differently if it was being done today. So--please pick an album (or just a song) and describe what would be done differently. Pretty please.

Thanks.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Sorry to chime in late, yet I wanted to touch upon SM's original post..

I often get thrown for a loop when I see people enjoy productions that are edited/replaced/tuned/pasted/etc... In a way it's throwing as much of the production at you as they can, since people think most humans that listen to music have small attention spans...

I got into recording and started to think it was my calling after doing alot of "purist" type stereo recording, I wanted to capture things so you could play them back on a killer audiophile system in your house with the lights off. You know the story, that type of recording perspective just does not work best for alot of people.

On a daily basis I drive myself crazy over what is "good", and what type of sound I want to start off going for on my next project, or just future work in general. I think it is easy to forsee the fact that there are still consumers and fans of music out there that appreciate a recording with dynamic range / depth / imaging / personality.

I think alot of AEs have a hard time personally since they are constantly swithcing between what they think things should sound like, and what they would like to have things sound like...
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

"Jesus just left Chicago,
and he's bound for New Orleans
Working from one end to the other,
and all points in between"

I love that song.

Blue Jean Blues is another great one from that album...

"...I could tell they was mine,
from the oil and the gasoline"

Or was that Fandango??? Argh..I'm showing my age now.
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Addict

"I'll be ridin' on the bus till I Cadillac"

Is that great or what?
Old 29th March 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
I'm gonna find a copy and listen to 'La Grange' or maybe 'Jesus just left Chicago' and I'll get back to you soon. I haven't heard it in 20 years and I can hear every bar of this record in my head. 'Master of Sparks'. 'Sheik'. 'Precious and Grace'. 'Waiting for the Bus'. I'm getting gossebumps thinking about hearing this....
Larry Crane wrote a thing in Tape Op awhile ago that I found was a good exercise. Pick a song and listen to it in your head and try to picture what it sounds like. Then, pull out the actual recording and listen to it. I'll place money on this, it sounds nothing like what you think it sounds like.

I'll be out on the range...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search