The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
EMT 156 PDM-Compressor ...opinions please
Old 10th March 2003
Gear Maniac

EMT 156 PDM-Compressor ...opinions please

Hey there,
I need a little help, as I cannot find much information on this EMT stereo compressor, but found it in various mastering suites equippment list. I could get hold of one for arround $900,-. I would like to upgrade (expecially on the mix) from my modest Drawmer 241 to something more serious, but within a projectstudiobudget, and this price would suit my bankbalance. Anyway, any suggestions on this '70s piece of equipment, what are it's strengs/ weaknesses. Should I...
Any advice is very much appreciated.
With regards
(and greetings from London)
Old 10th March 2003
Re: EMT 156 PDM-Compressor ...opinions please

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert King
Hey there,
I need a little help, as I cannot find much information on this EMT stereo compressor, but found it in various mastering suites equippment list. I could get hold of one for arround $900,-. I would like to upgrade (expecially on the mix) from my modest Drawmer 241 to something more serious, but within a projectstudiobudget, and this price would suit my bankbalance. Anyway, any suggestions on this '70s piece of equipment, what are it's strengs/ weaknesses. Should I...
Any advice is very much appreciated.
With regards
(and greetings from London)

Hi,

This just an opinion(my own) and you can take it with a grain of salt, but the EMT 156 is a piece of junk. I would stay away from it and put the money towards something else. It will degrade your mix than help it.

$900 is not a lot for a mix-comp. You need a comp that can retain what is great about your mix and perhaps glue it together a touch or enhance it(depends on what you want). This means you need a great freq response and clarity(bigness would help also). These kinda designs come with a price tag(your whole mix is very important).

Maybe look at a pair of RNC comps strapped together? They are pretty transparent and I doubt they would degrade your signal.
Old 10th March 2003
member no 666

It's strength is that it's an absolutely lovely sounding FET limiter... when it's operating properly.

It's weakeness is that there are damn few that operate properly, nor continue to operate properly without nearly constant attention [hence "thethrillfactor"s discontent with the thing].

If you're willing to invest the time, effort and energy into staying on top of the unit's performance... it'll put a great big smile on your face... if you're not willing to perform rather regular maintenance to the thing... avoid it like it causes cancer.

There are ways to make them more stable without negatively affecting the tone... but they're not all that cost effective. From the perspective of a "new build" they are indeed cost effective, but from the perspective of one of the older units they are not.

Best of luck with it!!
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Maniac

EMT compressor

Well, I just wrote two really long replies, which got stuck in the pipe. So this one will be short, just in case.
Thank you guys for your time and information. I stick to what you said, because the sellers add indeed contains traces of what you have said (...just had an overhaul etc.). So, what would you recommend in the midpricerange? I could get my hands on a fair priced BSS 402 or Urei LA22 for example. What is an RNC? (is that 'really nice compressor'? Which particular model?) What do you think about Neuman stuff? Just trying to get the 'best' for a given amount of money.
Cheers
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

R n' see!
Old 11th March 2003
Yes Really Nice Compressor about £200,

My friend Steve Crittall in Soho has one Rob, perhaps he would let you try it out.

Old 11th March 2003
Gear Maniac

RNC

Hey Jules you gearnut! You think that would be a better choice than a BSS 402? Is that in fact an upgrade to the Drawmer 241? Or should I just save up to a computer based system (you know one day even I have to face the screen..)
Cheers
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

I have some friend that says it have one EMT Compressor from 1976 with tube output and digital control..is that possible for that time?? if yes which model it is and how do they sound?? in case are not working good....how much $ would cost to put it perfect??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search