The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any advice on which mic/mics to get next?
Old 4th September 2008
Any advice on which mic/mics to get next?

I have this in my mic locker:
2 x ksm32
TM-1
C414b XL-II
SM7b
RE20
2 x km184
d112 (yuck)
EV nd868
4 x sm57
sm58
3 x sennheiser e604
4 various cheap AT drum mics (2 snare/Tom, 2 Kick/tom)

I have some decent pre's (2 x 3124+, 3 x RNP's, and a GR mp-2NV- with plans to get another GR later this year)
I am thinking of getting a pair of Beyer MC930's after reading how nice they are for the price... but I realize that I don't really have any omni's, so that's a consideration.
I mainly record jazz, rock, funk and groove based music, but just worked on a mariachi project earlier this summer..
My budget is around up to $1500

Any suggestions on what I could use-- and do you think the MC930's aren't a decent choice..? I've also thought of a Pearlman TM-2.. or maybe even a Josephson c617-set- but that's stretching my budget a bit (it'd be nice to have a nice quality omni though)....

Thanks for any feedback! Always appreciated.
Old 4th September 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

C617's just about make me sh#t my pants on any source. Get them, [or just one] you'll love them. There is also the Gefell M296's, which are a favorite of mine for anything. They are the only microphones currently available with a nickel diaphragm. The texture is incredibly musical and deep. I have a client using three with a Decca tree, who calls me just about every day to say how cool they sound in his room.

I would also check out a ribbon, like the Royer SF-1, or the SF-12 [might be way out of your price range] or perhaps even the Crowley & Tripp Mercenary Edition EL Diablo if you hate your D112. [again way out of your price range] I suspect after hearing what the EL Diablo does, you'll throw the D112 at the wall, or just use it for bass cabs.
Old 4th September 2008
Thanks for the advice, Roc!
I'll look into some of those... though, the prices of a few of them scare me currently heh.

Oh, and as for the Royer suggestion, why do you suggest the sf series, and not the r series..?
Both series are figure of eight, no?
Old 4th September 2008
I'm going to have to second the ribbon mic suggestion. Call Mercenary Audio and see what they suggest for your tastes, they have all the nice ones.
Old 5th September 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by decius01 View Post
Thanks for the advice, Roc!
I'll look into some of those... though, the prices of a few of them scare me currently heh.

Oh, and as for the Royer suggestion, why do you suggest the sf series, and not the r series..?
Both series are figure of eight, no?
Yea, all the Royers are figure-of-eight. I think the SF-1/SF-12 have the most original, and beautiful response throughout the midrange. If you want a more modern, hard driving workhorse of a microphone with full on ribbon flavor, the R series is where its at!

I'm thinking if anything you should check out the Royer 121, 122 camp, depending on what your needs are, for your applications and your room. But based on your post, and your current microphone collection, you could stand a wonderful omni. However, a Ribbon like these would enhance every GTR tone/percussion track you lay out, certainly do duties for horns, wind anything, drum room, drum OH.....BASS!!!! You'll use it for anything you need more velvet and mid range love on! All of these options work really well with your preamps.

I would probably also recommend checking out the Naked Eye Roswellite, next to the Royer 121 to see which texture is more pleasing, and favorable towards your aesthetic and music, as well as how it lays into the context of what your doing.
Old 5th September 2008
I'm actually still leaning towards the Josephson, with regards to what's been told to me.
I have always been told that Royers are top notch mics, but would 1 be enough for capturing an ensemble in a whole room..? (the room is quite small-- 11' x 18').

I was thinking of an omni because of those times when I have a full acoustic complement in my space and I want to capture them all with equal tone/flavour... though, I have read that Royer's off-axis response tends to be quite uncolored and strong.

Hmm, decisions decisions!

Oh, and something I feel foolish for not mentioning is that my rooms are all quite sound treated, so I don't need any more of that heh.
Old 5th September 2008
You can tell I'm thinking about this quite a bit, by the number of posts heh...

But I wonder if any of you guys think a ribbon (a la the 121), or an omni (a la the c617) would be better for capturing solo upright bass..?
That has been a pita for me to get a great sound from, so it's a large consideration!

Just weighing the options... and there are many!
Old 5th September 2008
hv_
Gear Nut

For the apps you mention, an omni would be pretty good. Heard good things about the musicality of the c617. It would probably be great close mic'ing that upright.

The TM-1 has a selectable fig-8, right? Bet it would be awesome on a choir or ensemble with a c617 doing M/S. Only problem is you'll eventually want to do AB stereo and you'll just have to get another and it won't be matched. You might consider something like an Earthworks qtc30mp and get a matched pair within your budget now... make great drum overheads too.

Howard
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hv_ View Post
For the apps you mention, an omni would be pretty good. Heard good things about the musicality of the c617. It would probably be great close mic'ing that upright.

The TM-1 has a selectable fig-8, right? Bet it would be awesome on a choir or ensemble with a c617 doing M/S. Only problem is you'll eventually want to do AB stereo and you'll just have to get another and it won't be matched. You might consider something like an Earthworks qtc30mp and get a matched pair within your budget now... make great drum overheads too.

Howard
I haven't tried the above mentioned, but have of my mic cabinet is made of ribbon mics. If I wanted to get another, if it isn't a Neumann, I'd get more ribbon mics. Either that or old school metal-cased dynamics.

Ribbons just do it for me. At that point it's just a matter of light/dark. Beyer m160's are my go-to for overhead use.

I bought a pair of EV 635a which are an omni-cardiod pattern of some kind. Cost me $35 bucks a piece off eBay. F'n great little workhorse mics for overheads, piano, and vocals et.
Old 5th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv_ View Post

Howard
Actually, the TM-1 doesn't have figure-of-eight... it uses cardioid or omni. I have thought of just using it as my omni, but there are times (such as a few months ago with the mariachi band) where I wanted to use the TM-1 as the vocal mic, with a room mic/mics for the rest of the ensemble. I ended up using my km184's in xy for the ensemble... but think I'd like to try a different approach. Keeping my LDC's for vocal apps seems to me the most sensible idea, in case that need arises again.

Another question I have about all of this is if I were to get, say, a Royer r121 instead of the c617, it also wouldn't be matched if I ever wanted to get another one for stereo etc. Truly, how important is this..? My neumanns aren't matched, and me and a buddy did a test with both of them on the same source, with precisely the same location... the difference was there, but was so minimal that it's negligible (IMO). My room is quite small, too... only 11' x 18'. One omni would definitely pick up the whole room easily. But I see where you're coming from-- stereo is a nice option.

I'd be happy to use an omni in mono for a long time before I'd even think of another... a ribbon, I'd probably want to make into a stereo pair a lot sooner, given that it's figure-of-eight as opposed to omni.

*sigh* decisions decisions

*Maybe I should just wait and finance a pair of R-121's when I can afford to get a pair, just to have 2 of whatever I get. Seems like it's a nice option to have 2 kicking around.....
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Addict

Maybe get a pair of Sage Electronics Bova Balls? (haha yeah, pair o' balls)

I demoed one recently and was very impressed. They're reasonably priced and would fit great in that sort of "omni-ish" hole in your locker. I didn't get as much time with the mic as I would've liked due to a busy weekend, but I recorded some acoustic tracks that sounded fantastic without eq, compression, effects, nothin'.

Welcome to sage electonics
Old 5th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by popvulture View Post
Maybe get a pair of Sage Electronics Bova Balls? (haha yeah, pair o' balls)

I demoed one recently and was very impressed. They're reasonably priced and would fit great in that sort of "omni-ish" hole in your locker. I didn't get as much time with the mic as I would've liked due to a busy weekend, but I recorded some acoustic tracks that sounded fantastic without eq, compression, effects, nothin'.

Welcome to sage electonics
What a crazy looking mic!
I think that's a bizarre design (dare to different, hey?);
I've never heard of these before... Do they have dealers in Canada..? At this time, I'm still leaning towards the omni.. or maybe a pair of ribbons, as has been suggested. That just seems like the smartest option for what I do.... Hmm, keep mulling it over and thinking about it.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Addict

Sage is a Canadian company. They're super nice, might even mail you some to demo.

Oh, and their pres are insane.
Old 6th September 2008
Hey everyone nice enough to offer suggestions/opinions:
I have a silly-ish question:

I'm truly thinking of checking out the Royer R-121's (have even figured a way to get a set of 2- Yay!)
Should I be concerned about consecutive serial numbers for Royer mics..?
It seems of the 2 music shops in Van that carry them, they both have 1 each (not sure why they don't carry more at a time, but w/e).

Should I order them online from somewhere that has more in stock, so I can get consecutively built ones, or is that just anal..?
I realize that for some, this is crucial... but I'm not sure if it's not just being overly picky.

Thanks!
๐Ÿ“ Reply