The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you guys think of this preamp?
Old 25th April 2005
Gear Maniac

What do you guys think of this preamp?

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/mic_preamp.htm

He describes it as a single channel of the Jensen Twin Servo design; and it retails for $210 assembled (there's also a kit available for $165).

It uses Edcor transformers. I've never heard that brand before. I assume it's fairly high quality?
Old 26th April 2005
Lives for gear
The key is the first sentence..
INSTEAD of a discrete amp design (which is WHY the Jensen twin servo sounds good) this is based around an IC opamp.
Old 26th April 2005

Looks very very "home brew" to me, note they do not show the transformers in the photo either. If it does not have Jensen transformers or the 990 opamp, how could anyone relate the design to the original Twin Servo? Tread carefully I feel.

Tim.
Old 26th April 2005

I always thought that you could make a good sounding pre-amp using good op amps for the twin servo and a discrete front-end design with an op-amp output.

Alas, I haven't had time to try yet.....

-tINY

Old 26th April 2005
Lives for gear

Well, at $215 a channel assembled, you are essentially at the equivalent price of a used RNP. I'm happy with my RNP.
Old 26th April 2005
Gear Nut

Looks like something I built out of a Craig Anderton book...
Old 29th April 2005
Here for the gear

i actually know the guy who makes these and runs this site. in fact he works with me and he's about 20 feet away from me right now. he really knows his stuff. check out his mods too. i would recommend highly recommend anything from him. as i said he knows what he is talking about.
Old 1st May 2005
Lives for gear

Some interesting specs, like "-145 dB noise floor" which is an impossibility in an analog circuit running at room temperature <g>. Wellllll...I guess the question should be -145 dB referenced to what output level under what conditions.

It appears to use a surface mounted chip, so if you aren't equipped for soldering those onto a circuit board, then go for the assembled version.

Edcor WSM transformers are an excellent value. I've tested their 600:600 and 150:600 units and they are somewhat akin to some of the less expensive line output Jensens. But, I don't know of anything in the WSM line that is specifically meant for mic level inputs (ie, mu metal shielded, etc):

http://www.edcorusa.com/transformers/audio/matching.htm

Bri

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search