The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone built these for their room?(DIY room treatment)
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Anyone built these for their room?(DIY room treatment)

bass Traps

http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html
plans are at the bottom of the page.

Love to see or hear about DIY room treatment. We'll be purchasing a bit of Auralex as well but I'd really like to DIy as much as possible and put the dough saved back into gear.
Old 8th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

I'm planning on doing an article on exactly that. I know that a bunch of guys use Auralex and other pre-made materials, but honestly, if you can operate a power saw without cutting your fingers off, you can do it yourself a lot cheaper (and with better results) than buying commerical products. The picure I posted on the Control Room thread find of shows the room treatment in the control room of my place.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone built these for their room?(DIY room treatment)-cr-picture.jpg  
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Craig,
I've got the wood and 703 to build 2 of Ethan's 8x2 ft traps...haven't got around to it yet.I'm having trouble fitting them in my one room setup.
I did get some of the Auralex Lenrd type traps...2 for each corner which surprisingly made a sustantial difference in monitoring and smoothed out some standing waves...still probably need to do more though....
Old 8th March 2003
Gear Guru

Re: Anyone built these for their room?(DIY room treatment)

Craig,

I just finished another article about acoustic treatment, with many more DIY suggestions. My panel traps design remains the most space efficient way to trap low frequencies, but there are other things folks can do with less effort. Here's the link:

www.recording.org/users/acoustics

Let me know how you make out.

--Ethan
Old 8th March 2003
I could do with "The ABC of building a rock drum room"!

Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hi Ethan,

Thanks so much for your informative posts here...

One question. Concerning the corner traps on the link provided, I'm unsure if you are advising filling the air gap in the corner with fiberglass (in addition to the 703/705), or leaving them empty?

Thanks Again!
Old 9th March 2003
Gear Guru

Casey,

> I'm unsure if you are advising filling the air gap in the corner with fiberglass (in addition to the 703/705), or leaving them empty? <

If you fill the entire cavity with fiberglass it will absorb better because there won't be "holes" in the absorption at higher bass frequencies. As a compromise you could apply two sheets of fiberglass - cut one down to be only one foot wide and put that farther into the corner, then put the other two-foot wide piece in front of that.

--Ethan
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

Dave,
Are those diffusors built into your control rooms back wall, and if so could you post some close-up shots of those babies? Very interested in the design, and I'm not afraid of a little DIY. Thanks!
TommyD
Old 10th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by tommyd
Dave,
Are those diffusors built into your control rooms back wall, and if so could you post some close-up shots of those babies? Very interested in the design, and I'm not afraid of a little DIY. Thanks!
TommyD
Oh, they're more or less diffusors, and are really very simple - each is 4'x4', and they're built into a frame made of 1x6 lumber (which is 5 1/2 inches deep). The outside edges are at the back of the frame, and the inside edges are at the front of the frame

There are actually 8 pieces of maple plywood (four on each side), each about 2'x2', since I wan't sure which direction I wanted the angles to face. I could have made each of the 8 pieces face left, right, up or down. But in the end, I liked the look the way you see them. The trim is made from 1x4 whitewood cut in half, and is strictly for appearance. Probably because of all the wood in the control room, Michael Wagener says the room looks kind of Scandinavian, and I won't argue. The Scandinavian guys might...

The idea behind using angled pieces of wood in this manner came indirectly from a conversation with Michael Blackmer. Of course, once I got the plans for my B room (designed my Michael), I realized that he probably wouldn't want to accept blame for my dumb execution.

If it helps, what I was trying to accomplish was a room that has a bit of life in it (really dead control rooms irritate me). Those panels but some sound back into the room, but they don't reflect directly hack to the mix position. It just seems to add a bit of ambiance which makes the room a more pleasant place in which to work.

if the explanation didn't make everything clear, let me know and I'll find the digital camera.
Old 10th March 2003
Gear Addict

Am I missing something or is the article missing the plans for the project?

Bear
Old 10th March 2003
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

Dave,
Thanks for the info, I think I've got a grip on the concept. If you get a chance, like they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". heh My wife and I are building a new house soon and the one room I have control over will be my new 18x24 studio. As it will be a one room affair I'll be looking for heaps of advice like this from you guys. Thanks again, TommyD
Old 10th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by tommyd
Dave,
Thanks for the info, I think I've got a grip on the concept. If you get a chance, like they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". heh
Let's see if this works...
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone built these for their room?(DIY room treatment)-rear-wall..jpg  
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

Perfect! Thanks Dave! TOmmyD
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear